still missing a playmaker

kyle mccabe

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mason Bennett?  I don't think he's has the right skill set to be considered as a playmaker at all. He is sort of winger/forward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playmaker

A playmaker is a player who controls the flow of the team's offensive play, and is often involved in passing moves which lead to goals, through their vision, technique, ball control, creativity, and passing ability.

Butters is a good enough playmaker, especially if we played him a bit further forward. 

What we need is a quality winger or two. No problem with Bennett getting in on the scene and getting some game time but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to fill the shoes of Mr Ince. 

13 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Mason Bennett?  I don't think he's has the right skill set to be considered as a playmaker at all. He is sort of winger/forward.

A playmaker is a player who controls the flow of the team's offensive play, and is often involved in passing moves which lead to goals, through their vision, technique, ball control, creativity, and passing ability.

article-2638426-1E2C130500000578-525_634

1 hour ago, kyle mccabe said:

We are still missing that player that can beat a man and open up opposition... could mason Bennett stand into that position 

I hope you don't get in trouble for having multiple user names B4 

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Butts made chances against Northampton but we couldn't finish. He puts people clean through on goal they need to finish it off.

Top post. Seen a fair few people state how Butterfield is still only passing sideways and backwards, I've seen some very good through balls from him in the last few matches. The one that put Bennet through on goal was a beaut. Kinda feel like he's been tarnished now, like some other players and no matter what he does hel never shake it. 

2 hours ago, lioncoeur said:

Thorne and Huddlestone are both playmakers

Note that it doesn't say where they have to be doing the playmaking from - Last season half the time Keogh was our playmaker! When the midfield looked dry his surging runs through (I assume) frustration were the catalyst for a lot of our attacking play

I suspect we'll have more of a 'quarterback' style playmaker this season - Either finding long passes over to the wide receivers (wingers) or handing off short passes to our running backs (box to box mids) - Worked for both Liverpool and Madrid when they used Xabi Alonso like that

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Note that it doesn't say where they have to be doing the playmaking from - Last season half the time Keogh was our playmaker! When the midfield looked dry his surging runs through (I assume) frustration were the catalyst for a lot of our attacking play

I suspect we'll have more of a 'quarterback' style playmaker this season - Either finding long passes over to the wide receivers (wingers) or handing off short passes to our running backs (box to box mids) - Worked for both Liverpool and Madrid when they used Xabi Alonso like that

I think your right, didn't Rowett refer to Keogh stepping in and playing balls from the back, if big Tom finds himself tightly marked in games?

I'd still rather have seen Hughes making himself available for the ball, and indeed making the spaces for those two to play in, mind.

Just now, reveldevil said:

I'd still rather have seen Hughes making himself available for the ball, and indeed making the spaces for those two to play in, mind.

Agreed - But there aren't too many (if any) players like him around these days

I actually think it's an interesting debate because I wouldn't have ever considered Ince a playmaker - He's an excellent producer in the attacking areas but for me was always a final third player - And I prefer my playmakers to be moving the ball from defence into attack

I should clarify - I didn't see playmaker as Ince's BEST role - The guy is talented enough to do it

13 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Keogh was our playmaker!

I know Tom Huddlestone is a deep lying midfielder (playmaker), but George Thorne I am seeing more as a kind of anchorman (playmaker) who sits behind and protects back four primarily.

They are not similar players at all due different technical qualities which they posses. The only thing which is similar to both of them is that they're not enough mobile.

Keogh sometimes plays as a sort of libero, when he runs forward with the ball, but not as a true playmaker, I wouldn't call it that way.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Butts made chances against Northampton but we couldn't finish. He puts people clean through on goal they need to finish it off.

I thought he looked much more dynamic - I've been critical of him when he's seemingly popped off an easy pass and then stopped moving, but he was much more giving and going.

If he can continue to work on that side of his game then he could yet be a star for us.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Butters can be both the architect and the creator dependent on his role, too.

Archived