Pre Season Woosah's

Day

2 minutes ago, David said:

Just like to say that if we can be critical of the players now we should be equally critical of the fans.

600 turning up with free travel is rubbish, didn't hear peep out the fans at Doncaster tonight, not a chant, yay or boo!

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season.

*I'm fully aware there was no audio from the game tonight, just commentary but ssssh it will ruin me joke!

I think a thread about we're the best supported club for the size of the city speaks volumes about the free travel. Now if the bus going to Doncaster picked some fans from Chesterfield up I would have been on the bus but I'm not travelling 25 miles in the opposite direction just for a free lift. I didn't go tonight why would I all friendlies are naff. I have learnt my lesson. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, David said:

I welcome the counter argument, better than taking pops and collecting the likes without reply, prefer to work harder for them, gives me a greater sense of achievement....although I've actually turned my reaction notifications off as I was receiving too many. Guess that's the downside of talking so much sense all the time

As Talking Heads opined "Stop making sense, stop making sense...":mellow:

18 minutes ago, David said:

Just like to say that if we can be critical of the players now we should be equally critical of the fans.

600 turning up with free travel is rubbish, didn't hear peep out the fans at Doncaster tonight, not a chant, yay or boo!

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season.

*I'm fully aware there was no audio from the game tonight, just commentary but ssssh it will ruin me joke!

About 1500 Rams fans travelled out to two different matches on a weekday and a fair few of us paid for our own travel to less than exotic locations, to watch a Rams team that could have been all under 23s, all first team or the mixes they ended up being. And there was some noise at Donny - as the players tired then so the noise and encouragement got louder with no boos nor very many early leavers.

And all that when we could have sat at home in front of the computer, for free, watching Port Vale, and/or the Keepmoat.

Methinks the boys and girls in Port Vale and Doncaster tonight done good.

Whilst its about fitness,its also about trying to win a place in the starting 11.

I saw the same lack of ability to open up the opposition as was evident at rotherham. Very few chances created.

I did struggle to watch it all though due to that bloody commentator prattling away. 

7 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

As I said on Twitter, it was semi-serious. Though I appreciate that it's not always obvious on Twitter. Nor is it a good place to have a decent discussion about football, what with the 140 odd characters n'all. Though, I did personally feel as a bit as if I were having my throat jumped down. Again, perhaps that's just the nature of Twitter.

I won't be making any judgements on Rowett until after 10 competitive games of next season, as for me, that's a fair amount. For me though, tonight we saw some of the same rubbish we've been seeing from certain players for quite a long time. And that was frustrating.

Hurrah! Spotted it...the magic number 10. 

Pre season games are like watching the first quarter  of a whodunit film. Lots of clues mixed in with a few red herrings and a couple of actors not appeared on screen yet. 

Some things are apparent in that we haven't got the ideal 2 to play 4231 and playing 2 centre forwards 1 behind the other can leave those 2 CM exposed at times.

The vast majority of players seem to have much the same strengths, weaknesses and ability level of last season and the incomings and outgoings SO FAR have made us more solid and strong defensively but less creative going forward.

These are only clues though and it is too early to come to a conclusion.

Elementary.

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Reckon Rowett will have had them training in the day aswell, he's intentionally knackering them out before some of these games.

After Macclesfield:

Rowett told RamsTV: “It was a little bit like Tuesday night in that there were a lot of good things.

“There were also lots of things that when we didn’t do them as well as we need to, it caused us one or two problems.

“That’s what the first two games are about, though.

“We trained incredibly hard yesterday (Friday) and that’s the issue at the moment, you don’t want the players feeling fresh for the games and that’s part of the process.

“You load them so when you do get the days off and lighter sessions they will feel the benefit of it.

“There were a few heavy legs out there and you could see that with the final pass, especially in the first half.”

He added: “It’s funny because we were excellent in the first half on Tuesday with some really good attacking play, but not so good in the second.

“Today, we weren’t so good in the first half but far better in the second. You take that with a pinch of salt and don’t want to be too harsh on the players at this moment in time. It takes players time to find their feet and we’re only two and a bit weeks into pre-season.

“In terms of the way we want to move the ball, be incisive and get shots in at goal; I was pleased with the second half.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/07/it-takes-time-to-find-your-feet

2 minutes ago, David said:

After Macclesfield:

Rowett told RamsTV: “It was a little bit like Tuesday night in that there were a lot of good things.

“There were also lots of things that when we didn’t do them as well as we need to, it caused us one or two problems.

“That’s what the first two games are about, though.

“We trained incredibly hard yesterday (Friday) and that’s the issue at the moment, you don’t want the players feeling fresh for the games and that’s part of the process.

“You load them so when you do get the days off and lighter sessions they will feel the benefit of it.

“There were a few heavy legs out there and you could see that with the final pass, especially in the first half.”

He added: “It’s funny because we were excellent in the first half on Tuesday with some really good attacking play, but not so good in the second.

“Today, we weren’t so good in the first half but far better in the second. You take that with a pinch of salt and don’t want to be too harsh on the players at this moment in time. It takes players time to find their feet and we’re only two and a bit weeks into pre-season.

“In terms of the way we want to move the ball, be incisive and get shots in at goal; I was pleased with the second half.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/07/it-takes-time-to-find-your-feet

Exactly, so you will probably see them fresher Saturday, knackered again against Northampton, then fresh again for Hoffenheim.

9 hours ago, Gritters said:

From what I saw Russell missed a few chances and won a penno. In my book he looked to be involved in a lot of the moves. I would sell him if I could make a good profit but if not I wouldn't give him away. 

If JR is so poor how come no-one looks better? Good to hear he's getting chances to miss.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr put his Derby stats up and then we'll see. Who is better in our squad? No-one.

He scored one more goal than Nick Blackman and Craig Forsyth last season, despite playing circa 2000 more minutes

10 hours ago, David said:

Yet Rowett also earlier today:

"We haven't had George (Thorne) available to play that sitting midfield role," Rowett said.

"We also have so many attacking players in the squad and so the formation has been down to getting players roughly in a position they want to play in and giving them 45 minutes.

"So I wouldn't read too much into the fact we have played 4-2-3-1 for the first two games. It has just been the easiest way of getting the players into a shape."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/tactics-board-manager-gary-rowett-on-derby-county-s-pre-season-formations/story-30444614-detail/story.html#yG4DJsmQRz0VFcLs.99

It's like being invited to the cinema to watch a film for free but you're pre warned this isn't the finished film, the actors are a little rusty and the full lineup is yet to be confirmed, they are just running a few recorded dress rehearsals.

You come out after this was crap, that was crap, this film has no chance of winning an oscar. Didn't see anything that makes me want to go and watch that.

10 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

That's quite a good analogy actually as, even though you would walk out the cinema saying "yeah, I appreciate that's not the finished article, there's a way to go here" you'd also be well in your right to pick out what you do and don't like about it. What you think does/doesn't need improving. 

I'm not sure if you're referring directly to me, or to the attitude of part of the fan-base, in your second part there.

It is a good analogy, but with one big difference.  A film's producers show rough cuts to an audience to gauge their opinion, take the feedback on board, and make alterations on board.  Whereas a football manager couldn't give a ***k about most fan's opinions, GR want be making an alterations to his preparations for this season based on our thoughts.

I've lost plenty of preseason games to crap sides, and it's had no bearing on the following season...

Archived