Pre Season Woosah's

Day

Just now, reveldevil said:

I'm basing it on the 9 ish games of last season Rowett had, more so than what we've seen so far this pre-season, along with his managerial style so far. 

Seen nothing that suggests we'll improve much, if at all.

We don't have the squad for how he seems to want to play, and we won't have for a couple of windows at least.

Fair enough, more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm happy enough to wait, but I don't think it's unfair to have my doubts as to the squads abilities to meet his requirements at this point in time.

Still plenty of time left in the window for him to get the squad he needs, though. By all accounts, the back four + Huddlestone that played against PV tonight looked decent enough - a promising thought!

I do agree with you on some thoughts here. I also think it's fair to look at this game as more than just a fitness exercise. Rowett has said in interviews that he wants the team to try and start implementing certain tactical things, so I think it's fair for us to look for those.

Based on what we've seen of some of these players (not just tonight, but from the entire time they've spent in a Derby shirt), we currently need to change things. The idea of starting the season with Bennett and Weimann as our two wide-men does not fill me with confidence. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Still plenty of time left in the window for him to get the squad he needs, though. By all accounts, the back four + Huddlestone that played against PV tonight looked decent enough - a promising thought!

I do agree with you on some thoughts here. I also think it's fair to look at this game as more than just a fitness exercise. Rowett has said in interviews that he wants the team to try and start implementing certain tactical things, so I think it's fair for us to look for those.

Based on what we've seen of some of these players (not just tonight, but from the entire time they've spent in a Derby shirt), we currently need to change things. The idea of starting the season with Bennett and Weimann as our two wide-men does not fill me with confidence. 

I thought Weimann did well tonight, and probably is doing more than any of our current widemen. Really don't get this Bennett hype, and then there is Russell. Getting one very decent wideman in is essential.

I think David nailed it earlier. We are all being given the opportunity to see the build-up to the season warts and all, and many at this stage are perhaps being too analytical. Fluidity will hopefully come over the next couple of games as more work is done on finesse rather than fitness.

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yet Rowett also earlier today:

"We haven't had George (Thorne) available to play that sitting midfield role," Rowett said.

"We also have so many attacking players in the squad and so the formation has been down to getting players roughly in a position they want to play in and giving them 45 minutes.

"So I wouldn't read too much into the fact we have played 4-2-3-1 for the first two games. It has just been the easiest way of getting the players into a shape."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/tactics-board-manager-gary-rowett-on-derby-county-s-pre-season-formations/story-30444614-detail/story.html#yG4DJsmQRz0VFcLs.99

It's like being invited to the cinema to watch a film for free but you're pre warned this isn't the finished film, the actors are a little rusty and the full lineup is yet to be confirmed, they are just running a few recorded dress rehearsals.

You come out after this was crap, that was crap, this film has no chance of winning an oscar. Didn't see anything that makes me want to go and watch that.

3 minutes ago, David said:

It's like being invited to the cinema to watch a film for free but you're pre warned this isn't the finished film, the actors are a little rusty and the full lineup is yet to be confirmed, they are just running a few recorded dress rehearsals.

You come out after this was crap, that was crap, this film has no chance of winning an oscar. Didn't see anything that makes me want to go and watch that.

That's quite a good analogy actually as, even though you would walk out the cinema saying "yeah, I appreciate that's not the finished article, there's a way to go here" you'd also be well in your right to pick out what you do and don't like about it. What you think does/doesn't need improving. 

I'm not sure if you're referring directly to me, or to the attitude of part of the fan-base, in your second part there.

40 minutes ago, David said:

Come on Revel, I've met you and I know for sure you've seen more pre seasons than I ever had to know the purpose of them! Don't make me face palm you, I will if I have to!

Tbh, I wouldn't have commented at all if you hadn't started the thread.

Once you did however, I felt duty bound to put the counter argument that it's all for fitness sake.

I fear you're mistaking my grey hairs for wisdom, rather than premature aging, easy mistake to make granted, but I'm far from wise, and not that much older than you, ya cheeky barsteward!

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

That's quite a good analogy actually as, even though you would walk out the cinema saying "yeah, I appreciate that's not the finished article, there's a way to go here" you'd also be well in your right to pick out what you do and don't like about it. What you think does/doesn't need improving. 

I'm not sure if you're referring directly to me, or to the attitude of part of the fan-base, in your second part there.

Walking out you might say meh wasn't great but it's a dress rehearsal, shall we nip for a pint and that's it, conversation ends. Where as others are walking out pulling individual actors apart, being critical over his/her acting, what they were wearing, accents, previous films they were in.

And no, nothing in this post is directly aimed at you but I will admit your tweet is part of a large collective that have me shaking my head not just tonight but Saturday.

Tonight wasn't entertaining, in fact it was largely boring to watch but I never had any expectations going into it other than what was coming out of both sides media, turns out Rowett was spot on.

The squad isn't finalised nor is the formation so how we can go looking for tactical insights I'll never know, what I'm reading from Rowett is this is largely fitness and seeing how hard the players are working, that's it.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Tbh, I wouldn't have commented at all if you hadn't started the thread.

Once you did however, I felt duty bound to put the counter argument that it's all for fitness sake.

I fear you're mistaking my grey hairs for wisdom, rather than premature aging, easy mistake to make granted, but I'm far from wise, and not that much older than you, ya cheeky barsteward!

I welcome the counter argument, better than taking pops and collecting the likes without reply, prefer to work harder for them, gives me a greater sense of achievement....although I've actually turned my reaction notifications off as I was receiving too many. Guess that's the downside of talking so much sense all the time

1 minute ago, David said:

I welcome the counter argument, better than taking pops and collecting the likes without reply, prefer to work harder for them, gives me a greater sense of achievement....although I've actually turned my reaction notifications off as I was receiving too many. Guess that's the downside of talking so much sense all the time

Are you going to build a wider door at home lol. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Walking out you might say meh wasn't great but it's a dress rehearsal, shall we nip for a pint and that's it, conversation ends. Where as others are walking out pulling individual actors apart, being critical over his/her acting, what they were wearing, accents, previous films they were in.

And no, nothing in this post is directly aimed at you but I will admit your tweet is part of a large collective that have me shaking my head not just tonight but Saturday.

Tonight wasn't entertaining, in fact it was largely boring to watch but I never had any expectations going into it other than what was coming out of both sides media, turns out Rowett was spot on.

The squad isn't finalised nor is the formation so how we can go looking for tactical insights I'll never know, what I'm reading from Rowett is this is largely fitness and seeing how hard the players are working, that's it.

As I said on Twitter, it was semi-serious. Though I appreciate that it's not always obvious on Twitter. Nor is it a good place to have a decent discussion about football, what with the 140 odd characters n'all. Though, I did personally feel as a bit as if I were having my throat jumped down. Again, perhaps that's just the nature of Twitter.

I won't be making any judgements on Rowett until after 10 competitive games of next season, as for me, that's a fair amount. For me though, tonight we saw some of the same rubbish we've been seeing from certain players for quite a long time. And that was frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As I said on Twitter, it was semi-serious. Though I appreciate that it's not always obvious on Twitter. Nor is it a good place to have a decent discussion about football, what with the 140 odd characters n'all. Though, I did personally feel as a bit as if I were having my throat jumped down. Again, perhaps that's just the nature of Twitter.

I won't be making any judgements on Rowett until after 10 competitive games of next season, as for me, that's a fair amount. For me though, tonight we saw some of the same rubbish we've been seeing from certain players for quite a long time. And that was frustrating.

Like Johnny Russell missing chance after chance. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Man up! That was me being polite, I never get into Twitter wars with anyone, saying that even being semi serious with this you might be the first for that level of negativity! To give context to this for those that are not on Twitter

"If that Doncaster XI is supposed to be the strongest #dcfc side of the two, then we could be in for a long old season ?"

59 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I guess we'll see over the course of the season which approach is better. 

I just wasn't that impressed with us, mixed up squad or not. 

Percentage football, which unravelled against an average side.

I know it's harsh, but I see nothing that makes me think things will get better.

Sorry.

I went to Donny tonight Revel and for the first 20 minutes or so I saw plenty that indicated that things were already better - crisp passing in triangles to create space, quick movement on and off the ball, no passing across the back four for the sake of possession, a few fantastic crossfield passes to set movements off, plenty of tracking back. And good individual performances - Weimann was consistently good; Fozzy got less rusty as the game went on; Chris Martin laid some excellent first time passes; Hanson was excellent throughout bar a couple of errors; Jacob excellent for 20 minutes, good for the next 25, struggled for 15 and ended the game well; Mitchell will be a fine goalkeeper.

It was a good evening. A mixed up side played 90 minutes for the first time and after a training session earlier today - they all struggled from about 60 minutes to 75 minutes. For the last 15 they got their second wind against a team that, with the changes, was still largely in the first half. And we could easily have won 3-1.

I've no idea how well we will do this year. Having seen far too many pre seasons they are rarely a true indicator of success or not in the season ahead but I for one like the style of football that appears to be emerging. After 10 league matches we might both know better still.

A few frustrations tonight. May be not even the team I wanted to watch but I could nit pick all through the game but I have been to a lot of pre season friendlies. They aren't the best games. The problem is when the form carries into the start of the season. 

I think these games are more about getting players on the pitch and playing rather than winning. Otherwise I'm sure we could have fielded a stronger side at one game and focused on that game.

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Are you going to build a wider door at home lol. 

Nah, already got ones that are wider enough to fit a wheelchair in, if my head gets bigger than a wheelchair I've got bigger problems that the door

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Johnny Russell flatters to deceive season after season for Derby and he should be sold. 

That would be one of my outs for a regular fee. 

From what I saw Russell missed a few chances and won a penno. In my book he looked to be involved in a lot of the moves. I would sell him if I could make a good profit but if not I wouldn't give him away. 

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

From what I saw Russell missed a few chances and won a penno. In my book he looked to be involved in a lot of the moves. I would sell him if I could make a good profit but if not I wouldn't give him away. 

I agree but that could be said for a lot of our players .

Just like to say that if we can be critical of the players now we should be equally critical of the fans.

600 turning up with free travel is rubbish, didn't hear peep out the fans at Doncaster tonight, not a chant, yay or boo!

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season.

*I'm fully aware there was no audio from the game tonight, just commentary but ssssh it will ruin me joke!

Archived