Pre Season Woosah's

Day

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

I'm sure that's how Doncaster viewed the game too. 

They bought on an aging Coppinger at half time, and we never laid a glove on him.

They looked equally as fit.

They also brought on another 7 players over the game, this is the first 90 minutes they have played. 

Kidderminster 0 - 4 Derby

"Can't read anything into a game like that, no point getting excited, preseason is all about fitness."

Doncaster 1 - 1 Derby

"PRE SEASON IS ALWAYS A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME. WE'RE RELEGATION FODDER"

It's all about the players getting plenty minutes as they can. Great to see Fozzy completed 90 minutes without getting injury which is great news. 

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm sure that's how Doncaster viewed the game too. 

They bought on an aging Coppinger at half time, and we never laid a glove on him.

They looked equally as fit.

...or are we just too shagged and heavy-legged? 

On another issue, there's nothing to prevent us knitting some passes together pre-season rather than rather Uni-dimensionally trying to out-run the opposition {eg Weimann, Russell, Butterfield}. 

We've gone arguably from an over-passing side to a side that doesn't pass at all. Football is a passing game and in the words of the late Graham Taylor "you play football with your heads" :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Kidderminster 0 - 4 Derby

"Can't read anything into a game like that, no point getting excited, preseason is all about fitness."

Doncaster 1 - 1 Derby

"PRE SEASON IS ALWAYS A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME. WE'RE RELEGATION FODDER"

Doncaster 1-1 Derby

"See, this is exactly why we need to sign 2 new wingers, 2 new centre mids, a new centre back and a new attacking midfielder!"

Derby 8-0 Barcelona (Both wingers get 4 goals and 4 assists each)

"I still think we need to sign 2 new wingers if we are to challenge for the play offs this season."

A wise man once said

He told RamsTV: “It’s going to be a different challenge.

“With the first two games being 45 minutes each, you would expect that the players will be sharp enough to cope with that.

“I think tonight will be different. We want to win all the games of course, but they are largely immaterial and after 70 minutes some players are going to find it tough.

“That’s natural because it’s their first full game. We know the opposition will look to change their team and have more energy, but this is where our boys will find their fitness by getting 90 minutes.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/07/itll-be-a-different-challenge

1 minute ago, David said:

A wise man once said

He told RamsTV: “It’s going to be a different challenge.

“With the first two games being 45 minutes each, you would expect that the players will be sharp enough to cope with that.

“I think tonight will be different. We want to win all the games of course, but they are largely immaterial and after 70 minutes some players are going to find it tough.

“That’s natural because it’s their first full game. We know the opposition will look to change their team and have more energy, but this is where our boys will find their fitness by getting 90 minutes.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/07/itll-be-a-different-challenge

Already trying to manage expectations because he knows that we are literally no better than a League One outfit and the draw was inevitable.

Truly worrying signs. I'm putting money on us finishing bottom.

5 minutes ago, David said:

They also brought on another 7 players over the game, this is the first 90 minutes they have played. 

I guess we'll see over the course of the season which approach is better. 

I just wasn't that impressed with us, mixed up squad or not. 

Percentage football, which unravelled against an average side.

I know it's harsh, but I see nothing that makes me think things will get better.

Sorry.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I know it's harsh, but I see nothing that makes me think things will get better.

Sorry.

The first 90 minute pre-season friendly is the wrong place to look for that.

Actually think these live streams are starting to do more harm than good. I don't recall any pre season being so critical, yes you would have the odd boo and that in previous seasons if you lose, but we're getting full on analaysis on individuals performances now and concerns for the season ahead despite Rowett telling us time and time again (not that we should need telling) it's purely fitness these games.

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Sorry.

Come on Revel, I've met you and I know for sure you've seen more pre seasons than I ever had to know the purpose of them! Don't make me face palm you, I will if I have to!

Get bored of the same discussions every single pre-season from fans who act like it's their first ever pre-season.

The first wobble, the first time we don't obliterate lower league opposition, and people study the result and the performance like it's an A-Level literature exam.

This, despite the fact that this happens every single pre-season to every single club in the country, whether the season that follows turns out to be good, bad or indifferent.

Chill out. It's a glorified training session. A victory at this point in pre-season isn't scoring more goals than the opposition, it's getting players to complete matches without injury.

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Get bored of the same discussions every single pre-season from fans who act like it's their first ever pre-season.

The first wobble, the first time we don't obliterate lower league opposition, and people study the result and the performance like it's an A-Level literature exam.

This, despite the fact that this happens every single pre-season to every single club in the country, whether the season that follows turns out to be good, bad or indifferent.

Chill out. It's a glorified training session. A victory at this point in pre-season isn't scoring more goals than the opposition, it's getting players to complete matches without injury.

Heaven forbid someone should have an opinion and bore you by actually sharing it on a forum. I haven't seen anyone needing to chill out.....apart from you maybe?

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The first 90 minute pre-season friendly is the wrong place to look for that.

I'm basing it on the 9 ish games of last season Rowett had, more so than what we've seen so far this pre-season, along with his managerial style so far. 

Seen nothing that suggests we'll improve much, if at all.

We don't have the squad for how he seems to want to play, and we won't have for a couple of windows at least.

Fair enough, more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm happy enough to wait, but I don't think it's unfair to have my doubts as to the squads abilities to meet his requirements at this point in time.

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Sorry.

I'm inclined to agree. The best sides make the ball do the work whether it's pre- , mid-, or end-of-season. We don't seem able to retain possession; the only caveat is that it may not be helped by being heavy-legged...when will we know? {cue the biggest cliche of them all " after 10 (ten) games" ?

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Heaven forbid someone should have an opinion and bore you by actually sharing it on a forum. I haven't seen anyone needing to chill out.....apart from you maybe?

Getting a little personal when my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, shame.

Fine to share opinions and talk and that's exactly what I'm doing. Engaging in a discussion.

23 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Already trying to manage expectations because he knows that we are literally no better than a League One outfit and the draw was inevitable.

Truly worrying signs. I'm putting money on us finishing bottom.

I'm convinced.

After you with the razor blade.

Archived