Title contenders??

Stephen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Does anyone agree with me.... If we signed Richie from toon, and now with the back 4 sorted, we could start looking beyond this seasons playoffs?? Money still to spend as well!?

Are we linked with Richie? Havent seen anything.

Its going to be a tough league this season, i would be delighted with a play off spot but you never know.

Just noticed its your first post so welcome.

Even if we signed Jota and Lawrence, a top quality CM/CDM and managed to move on a few squad players on big wages that are not needed, I still wouldn't want to assume anything. The league is never won in preseason, or by the signings you make (rarely anyway)

I like optimism though, think we have a good squad that could be strong by September 

There are going to be about 8 teams thinking the same thing as it stands. Derby, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Villa, Norwich, Middlesborough, Leeds, Sunderland, Hull and maybe a couple of 'surprise packages' will be thinking they are in the hunt for top six. It's going to be a really tough season. If we get off to a flyer with Rowett at the helm we will be fine, a crap start will be really painful though.

Happy for consolidation and time given..... seeing as time is the biggest thing we have wasted in last couple of years. 

With terry villa are gonna be very strong.

We need a settled 11 that get off to a good start to get close to where we want to be.

Think we need a bit more in attack including from the misfield and out wide to really give it a good go this time out.

Plus most importantly we need to win most of, if not all, our home games. 

17 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

With terry villa are gonna be very strong.

We need a settled 11 that get off to a good start to get close to where we want to be.

Think we need a bit more in attack including from the misfield and out wide to really give it a good go this time out.

Plus most importantly we need to win most of, if not all, our home games. 

Sounds do-able.

Think if we win all of our away games too (without conceding any goals) we will definitely be in with a shout.

But of course that is dependent on us signing Matt Richie.

3 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

**** me, people suggesting Ritchie again. There is no conceivable way he would join us, it's just one person has mentioned him and now everyone is all over it:whistle:.

Have we signed him yet? 

Just watched his YouTube highlights and would be putting a £20m offer in first thing in the morning.

Maybe even throw Blackman in as a sweetener to get the deal across the line.

We are miles behind the likes of Boro and Villa in terms of quality within the squad.

Unless Rowett pulls several  rabbits out the hat in the coming weeks, play offs contenders at best IMO.

Villa should walk it, I just can't see them having another year at this level. With the manager, the funds and the quality already there.

I think boro will be strong.

I'm not sold on the terry at villa thing, but they will be better than last year.

Then there's wolves spending lots, but will it work.

Plus, us, Wednesday, Fulham, reading and probably a surprise package.

Its going to be tough but then,we've not lacked a good standard of player recently we've needed a team and if Rowett can get that, all to.play for.

I think it's going to be the toughest year yet. Can see any of the following pushing for the play offs at the very least, in no particular order:

Villa

Boro

Norwich

Sunderland

Derby

Brentford

Sheff Wed

Sheff United (dark horses)

Reading

Fulham

Brum (same as Sheff Utd)

Hull

Wolves

Pretty much all of them have strengthened considerably and have decent managers. It will be tough.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Does anyone agree with me.... If we signed Richie from toon, and now with the back 4 sorted, we could start looking beyond this seasons playoffs?? Money still to spend as well!?

We are title contenders anyway, but that is determined by consistency which I think we will have in the right way, Ritchie while useful is no different from having Ince and is highly unlikely 

top four for me 

Villa should be good - huge squad and options and Bruce usually finds a way

middlesborough - should be well balanced and ready to compete 

sheff Wednesday wolves Fulham will be around but I can't see many more obvious ones, even Norwich are having a huge clear out.

24 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Blimey Burtonram you have just named 13 teams out of the 24 in the championship, not edging your bets too much. I would wait till the end of September then you can write off half of your choices

The point being, it's wide open. Perhaps more this season than ever.

As for teams with quality in the squad, we've seen what can happen there with the increased expectations.  

The best teams will go up. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

If we sign him I'll be dancing on the ceiling.

I still think Forest might surprise a few, better squad than they showed last year, a much better manager imo than they started last year with.

Plus young striker Ben Breteton doing well with England under 19's atm, Worrall at the back helping the other England team to win the Toulon tournament, all leads to higher confidence when back in the club environment.

Signings look nothing much so far mind, but wouldn't surprise me if they were in a very similar league position to us come seasons end.

Top 6 prediction.

Derby and Boro top 2.

Then Brum, Barnsley, Forest and Sheff Utd in any order. 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

No, I don't think so personally. If we could sneak into the play offs it would be a big plus. Realistically 8th or 9th place finish. 

Archived