Title contenders??

Stephen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

We need to sign 4 or 5 new players and get rid of 7 or 8. A lot of business to do before we could even consider a promotion challenge.

we needed to get rid of 8 players but so far the only one we actually needed to get rid of that has actually gone was camara.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

We need to sign 4 or 5 new players and get rid of 7 or 8. A lot of business to do before we could even consider a promotion challenge.

we needed to get rid of 8 players but so far the only one we actually needed to get rid of that has actually gone was camara.

For which positions?

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Does anyone agree with me.... If we signed Richie from toon, and now with the back 4 sorted, we could start looking beyond this seasons playoffs?? Money still to spend as well!?

Too early to say tbh.

Every preseason, the management team, the players, the directors, the fans everyone should believe we are title contenders, that's want should drive us all, we are DCFC, and we should be playing at the top level, so yes I do believe we are title contenders. And if we do not get promoted, I will then believe that next season is the season, that is what should drive  us all, at DCFC we are winners, that is the mentality that is needed to succeed, I am sure Gary And Mel both have this attitude, let's hope the players have it as well.

I think we'll be in the mix for promotion. Defo top 6, why not top 2? When the season starts we will have a quality first 11 with some strength on the bench. More importantly it will be a balanced squad with options to change games!

If you can't be optimistic in pre-season when can you be? 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

The point being, it's wide open. Perhaps more this season than ever.

As for teams with quality in the squad, we've seen what can happen there with the increased expectations.  

The best teams will go up. 

I have to disagree it's not that wide open, usually 2 of the 3 relegated teams don't get in the mix. Very rarely does a promoted team from Div one gets in the frame also. There will be at least two teams that were in the mix from last season that won't cut it this time round, so I'm only going to look at 9 teams in with a chance. No I'm not to name them because that's not predictable at this stage. Transfer window doesn't shut until end of August, some teams with new players in their squad could take up to 2 to 3 months before clicking into gear. Best teams don't always go up, because you ain't gonna convince me the season that QPR went up over the Rams were better team a couple of years or so ago.

I would argue that there are plenty of teams in this league that have the capacity within their squad to win the league, win promotion... whatever. I also think that some teams will be looking to improve further in the next month or so which could put them into the race. We know from experience that a promising summer, with lots of momentum, can go a long way. 

Sunderland & Boro will be strong, the latter perhaps will be the strongest of the relegated sides. Middlesborough still have plenty of proven performers at this level and look open to strengthening further. Friend, Ayala, Leadbitter, Clayton, Bamford, & Howson (now) are all top performers at this level, who will be sure to impress. I'm looking forward to seeing what Duncan Watmore can do at this level, I'm a big fan of his. Hull are definitely the weakest, not that they're weak, of the three that came down and they still have a few good players on their books. 

The teams already in this division: Norwich & Aston Villa look to be the best placed for a push for promotion. If Bruce can get a grip on matters at Villa then I don't see how they don't win the league. They should have been so, so, so much better than they were last season. Norwich finished the season in great form under their new man, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see them go from strength to strength. Fulham, I guess, shouldn't be ignored. They were excellent at times last season, but their squad is looking sparse at the moment. I'd say they need at least 5-6 good players. 

Reading, Leeds & Wednesday all did well last season, although I wouldn't put money on Reading or Leeds hitting the same form again, however, they will believe they have a good a chance as anyone. Wednesday, like us in many ways, are if nothing else a steady top 10 side. 

Wolves, Brentford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Wolves and even Forest may fancy their chances this season. 

There's 17 teams mentioned there, including us, and there could be arguments made for a couple I missed out too, including Sheff Utd, so it will definitely be competitive. 

While I don't necessarily think this is the strongest Championship in terms of squad quality, I'd say it's definitely up there in terms of the quality of managers.

Usually I'm not fussed about squad quality if the managers aren't great. Villa, Derby and Norwich all suffered last season due to the managerial affairs.

With Bruce, Monk, Carvalhal, Jokanovic, Stam, Redknapp, Warnock, McCarthy, Grayson and even Warburton you have plenty of managers with top level experience. Then the likes of Wolves, Norwich and Hull have that unpredictable factor.

Rowett has some tough competition in the opposite dugout.

I'm pleased there seems plenty of optimism around. There's some way to go in the close season, but I don't yet share it. We didn't do very well last season and since then we've sold our best two players, so it's likely we'll do worse. I hope we find the new season ends up being about team chemistry rather than individuals and Rowett fashions a great atmosphere in the squad so what we've lost in skill we make up for in other ways.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Norwich finished the season in great form under their new man,

Their new man only joined in the summer.

PistoldPete2
8 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Midfield and wingers.

As for outgoings, take your pick from shackell, Pearce, Johnson, butterfield, Bryson, Hanson, anya, vydra, weimann, Blackman and bent. Oh and olsson. 

16 hours ago, AmberRamber said:

With terry villa are gonna be very strong.

We need a settled 11 that get off to a good start to get close to where we want to be.

Think we need a bit more in attack including from the misfield and out wide to really give it a good go this time out.

Plus most importantly we need to win most of, if not all, our home games. 

I think Terry could be quite injury prone and it's a big gamble on Villas part. He might not adapt to the Championship and every team will want to make them look silly if they can.

8 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I think Terry could be quite injury prone and it's a big gamble on Villas part. He might not adapt to the Championship and every team will want to make them look silly if they can.

I'm inclined to agree. I personally think that Villa will be strong this season and have them to be top 2 with Boro. But that is because they have quality oozing through the squad (Taylor, Jedinak, Lansbury, Hourihane, Grealish, Kodjia) and a manager who knows how to get teams out of the league - arguably the best at this level - with a full season in charge. If they click they'll be dangerous.

But I don't think that their success will be dictated by Terry. I personally wouldn't be surprised if he played very few games this season. If he does perform then, more is the pity for us. But they still have the likes of Elphick, Chester and Baker who are decent centre halves at this level.

27 minutes ago, KentRam said:

I'm inclined to agree. I personally think that Villa will be strong this season and have them to be top 2 with Boro. But that is because they have quality oozing through the squad (Taylor, Jedinak, Lansbury, Hourihane, Grealish, Kodjia) and a manager who knows how to get teams out of the league - arguably the best at this level - with a full season in charge. If they click they'll be dangerous.

But I don't think that their success will be dictated by Terry. I personally wouldn't be surprised if he played very few games this season. If he does perform then, more is the pity for us. But they still have the likes of Elphick, Chester and Baker who are decent centre halves at this level.

My point was about Terry and how he could turn out to be. He'll either be instrumental in their success or a complete waste of money.

I would have loved him at Derby though

In the end, unless your club is a hanging by the thread basket case then you'd have ambition beyond survival or even mid table mediocrity 

we are a stable club, one of the big ones in the championship, we have pedigree. So it isn't unrealistic to think of being title contenders.

That realism also tempers things but if things go well then, yes we could be contenders

Playoffs has to go down as an achievable expectation.

not getting to the play offs would be disappointing.

finishing worse than last year would be failure in my book. 

Archived