Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Topram said:

Won't get excited about this until he's signed, this will spark premier league interest 

Didn't you say that about Wisdom? :whistle::lol:

Not in any way staring a gift horse in the mouth but can any of the savvy posters say why Hull are prepared to let him go at £2 mill. Seems an absolute steal for a player of his quality to me so what am I missing or is this just another great signing for a really reasonable fee? Gotta say I'm really happy with the way we're going about our business - such a change from the idiocy of last year :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the way he plays but don't think we need him at all.

Him and Thorne in a midfield two would get destroyed, especially against the more energetic sides in the division and I fear they will just take up each other's space. 

Not if we sit deep enough. Which I guess will be one of the tactical options, especially away.

Saying that, I'm not sure about this transfer. His passing range is magnificient but on the other hand he is barely faster than snail.

Wisely used, could be useful addition. We'll see.

Just now, 86 points said:

Not in any way staring a gift horse in the mouth but can any of the savvy posters say why Hull are prepared to let him go at £2 mill. Seems an absolute steal for a player of his quality to me so what am I missing or is this just another great signing for a really reasonable fee? 

Release clause says the rumours. Like Davies, but bit more expensive.

12 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

Sadly I don't think we can rely on George and I think Rowett thinks the same. It could be months before he is back to full fitness and will obviously continue to pick up niggling injuries because he has been out for so long.

I fear you might be right. Sadly can't see us extending his contract when it expires at the end of the season if he gets injured frequently this season. He's quality but he's no use to us if he isn't fit.

Not in any way staring a gift horse in the mouth but can any of the savvy posters say why Hull are prepared to let him go at £2 mill. Seems an absolute steal for a player of his quality to me so what am I missing or is this just another great signing for a really reasonable fee? 

It's a release clause

Before this news came out there were multiple journalists claiming he had a £2 million release clause, so it looks like we just triggered that and Hull were forced to accept. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

A quick scroll through the #hcafc timeline makes the move even sweeter. Hull fans are absolutely fuming. 

Been very decent for them and I can see why they're fuming with the news. 

Hope the James and Leadbitter rumours were alternatives to Huddlestone, and not 'as well'. We need to shift one or two on as it is. Huddlestone, Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Bryson. How do you fit even half of them in the team?

Just now, Dimmu said:

Not if we sit deep enough. Which I guess will be one of the tactical options, especially away.

Saying that, I'm not sure about this transfer. His passing range is magnificient but on the other hand he is barely faster than snail.

Wisely used, could be useful addition. We'll see.

The positives of playing Thorne and Huddlestone together is that both are brilliant on the ball, physically strong and good defensively. This means that teams wouldn't be able to manmark them as easily as they would be able to if they played on their own.

The downside is without the ball as neither can get around the pitch to close opposition players down. The ideal 2 defensive mids would be a out an out defensive anchor midfielder like Thorne and a box to box who is good defensively who also has lots of stamina to join in with the attacks like James from Leicester. Bryson isn't good enough defensively to fulfil this role. Johnson of 4-5 years ago would have been perfect for this role.

This would be a positive signing, he has plenty to his game and reads it well to make up for the lack of mobility some say he has, but the one thing Tom can do real well is pick a pass. 

This is a guy that played centre mid for Spurs, you don't lose that ball playing class, in my opinion, he don't have to run like a 20 something, not his game, but could shine in our team.

If we get him, Martin and Nugent should think it's Christmas with his passing range and ability

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Not in any way staring a gift horse in the mouth but can any of the savvy posters say why Hull are prepared to let him go at £2 mill. Seems an absolute steal for a player of his quality to me so what am I missing or is this just another great signing for a really reasonable fee? Gotta say I'm really happy with the way we're going about our business - such a change from the idiocy of last year :thumbsup:

Rumour has it that is a release clause, - well we have sold on the cheap! Not to mention a chap called Huddlestone was stolen of us once upon a time 

Archived