Forum Issues

Day
Message added by Day,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

What's up with the post counts? had 8030 odd 30 mins ago now I'm back under 8k again. No biggy just weird how 40 or 50 have gone AWOL

They won't have changed in the last 30 minutes, but earlier today when I was tagged in the B4 thread, I posted it on the forum then when I found out Owen Bradley wanted to post it himself, I assigned the topic to him and ran a recount on both the post count and reaction count to assign the reactions to his account..

During this recount posts/topics that were removed since the last recount would have been removed from users posts and reaction count.

It's been a while since I last ran one so it probably seems a bit more severe than usual.

1 minute ago, David said:

They won't have changed in the last 30 minutes, but earlier today when I was tagged in the B4 thread, I posted it on the forum then when I found out Owen Bradley wanted to post it himself, I assigned the topic to him and ran a recount on both the post count and reaction count to assign the reactions to his account..

During this recount posts/topics that were removed since the last recount would have been removed from users posts and reaction count.

It's been a while since I last ran one so it probably seems a bit more severe than usual.

Ah, thought I was going mad! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just from a personal observation why is there a timestamp and comment when the original post is edited and a field for entering the reason below?

All the times I've had to edit a list it's because I've made some error in grammar or syntax or a typo and have changed it as I didn't want to get leapt on by the spelling police. It just highlights that I can't spell properly every time I have to edit a post which I find a bit embarrassing.

Am sure there is a good reason for it.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just from a personal observation why is there a timestamp and comment when the original post is edited and a field for entering the reason below?

All the times I've had to edit a list it's because I've made some error in grammar or syntax or a typo and have changed it as I didn't want to get leapt on by the spelling police. It just highlights that I can't spell properly every time I have to edit a post which I find a bit embarrassing.

Am sure there is a good reason for it.

It is mainly for when mods edit posts, so the poster knows why and when a post was edited. You don't have to add a reason why it has been edited if you don't wish. 

7 hours ago, rynny said:

It is mainly for when mods edit posts, so the poster knows why and when a post was edited. You don't have to add a reason why it has been edited if you don't wish. 

I know it's not compulsory to put the reason for the edit as occasionally I haven't put one, but assumed that it was something that was preferred by the mods. I must admit that like @Tyler Durden I feel a bit stupid sometimes, having to put in the reason "tried writing couldn't in a Derby accent" for example.

38 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I know it's not compulsory to put the reason for the edit as occasionally I haven't put one, but assumed that it was something that was preferred by the mods. I must admit that like @Tyler Durden I feel a bit stupid sometimes, having to put in the reason "tried writing couldn't in a Derby accent" for example.

No we aren't bothered why you edit your post, it was posters complaining when we edit something out (like a swear word that had been altered to get through the swear filter) and there be no way of knowing that it had been edited, by who or for what reason. 

On an Android phone using Chrome ... How do I insert three separate quotes into a post?

(Two quotes from parts of a single post by Person A*, and a third quote from a post by Person B*.)

*Not their real names! ?

Edited by Ken Tram
Spelling

PS. I tried highlighting text of the first bit that I wanted to quote, and clicked the pop-up "Select Quote", which inserted it into the "new post box".

Then I tried highlighting the second quote, but when I clicked the "insert quote" pop-up, the first quote was replaced by the second quote in my "new post box".

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

On an Android phone using Chrome ... How do I insert three separate quotes into a post?

Testing

Two quotes from parts of a single post by Person A*, and a third quote from a post by Person B*.)

57 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

PS. I tried highlighting text of the first bit that I wanted to quote, and clicked the pop-up "Select Quote", which inserted it into the "new post box".

57 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Then I tried highlighting the second quote, but when I clicked the "insert quote" pop-up, the first quote was replaced by the second quote in my "new post box".

Just tried what you said, and this is how it appeared for me. I'm on Android and using Chrome. 

Maybe try clearing the cache, could help. @Davidmay have a better suggestion ?‍♂️

So ... on my phone... I could insert two separate quotes if they are on the last page of the thread ... but not if one of the quotes is on an earlier page of the thread.

I think I have figured this out.

Quote what you want to quote on the first page, then when you go to the next page click on your quote box, click the cross that asks if you wish to clear the quote box, then quote the next parts you wish to quote. 

On 04/09/2020 at 21:26, David said:

As you can see the certificate is fine and doesn't expire until October 1st, the fact it works fine in other browsers and devices says it's a Safari specific issue on your MacBook.

I could insert two separate quotes if they are on the last page of the thread

It worked for two quotes

When you click on the quote box in the second page it should come up like this. 

Screenshot_20201001_120809_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 04/09/2020 at 21:26, David said:

Thought it was iPad.

... from the previous page.

35 minutes ago, rynny said:

I have figured this out.

From this page!

Wow - thanks rynny - that was a neat trick and I'm not sure that I would have worked it out! As you say, I had to click into the "new post" box/window (I think, after navigating to the next page in the thread, but before selecting the new quote) which then brought up the black pop-up window asking if I wanted to clear restored content, and clicking the X to close that pop-up, in order to select the second quote.

rynny is a genius!

Edited by Ken Tram
Adding text