Forum Issues

David
Message added by David,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Well don’t forget it was the iOS 13 update that caused the issue for you. Nothing changed on the forum.

Don’t blame apple for my problem, I’ve got some blue tablets now for that.

Edited by Boycie
Update, my devices have updated them sen’s

7 hours ago, richinspain said:

I've just updated my iPad and at first impressions seems to have cured the double tap problem (the update only became available to me today, don't know if it's a location thing).

Been using mine in landscape mode all day and not had to double click once. I was correct in that it was an Apple bug then despite @Boycie strongly disagreeing with his superior technological knowledge 

1 hour ago, David said:

Been using mine in landscape mode all day and not had to double click once. I was correct in that it was an Apple bug then despite @Boycie strongly disagreeing with his superior technological knowledge 

This is tech speak for we’ve upgraded the database.

I can read you like a Peter and Jane Book me.

21 hours ago, richinspain said:

I've just updated my iPad and at first impressions seems to have cured the double tap problem (the update only became available to me today, don't know if it's a location thing).

Same here. Only just seen update available and problem is sorted.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is there any way to block a thread so you don't accidentally click into it by using next unread topic?

The name of the next unread thread used to be there. It would be good if at least this could be brought back. What I do so as to not need to scroll through a thread that I don't want to read is click on the last post only of that thread. At least that saves a little time and effort.

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Just click on unread content, it gives you a list of all the content and takes you to where you last was

I think that what @angieram wants is the opposite, to not go where she doesn't want to go. I for example don't normally enter in the politics thread,  I either have to go to the main section page to avoid entering or go to the last post in that thread so as to mark it as read.

57 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I think that what @angieram wants is the opposite, to not go where she doesn't want to go. I for example don't normally enter in the politics thread,  I either have to go to the main section page to avoid entering or go to the last post in that thread so as to mark it as read.

You don’t have to go in the listed threads though? it just lists the threads.

39 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You don’t have to go in the listed threads though? it just lists the threads.

Agreed 
I do it "Boycies way".  "Unread Content"... gives you a list of any threads with posts that you haven't read yet.  It matters not which forum it is in.
All in order of the last post made (Latest at the top).  Click on the thread title that interests you, and it automatically goes to the first unread (by you) post.*

It doesn't open in a new tab, but once you have caught up on that thread, the "Unread Content" tab is at the top and bottom of each page.  When you return, the thread you have just read will have disappeared from your unread list... obvs!

I usually start from the bottom of the list, so the earliest/oldest "unread post".  Clicking on the top of the list can sometimes become a bit repetitive, if the thread is new and/or popular, and is getting new posts every minute!
I completely ignore/do not click on topics such as politics, cricket, NFL, and most music threads etc.  They remain on the unread list until I click "Mark Site Read".

If I catch up (on all the posts/threads I'm interested in, I then click on "Mark Site Read" to completely clear the lot.  If I don't complete the list, it all waits there for your next visit. 

Very simple.  Very organised.  Very effective!

*EDIT:
Just be aware, as an example, if you are reading page 14 of 15, and don't completely read page 14 before leaving, page 15 will still be listed as unread, but it will assume you had read all of page 14 before leaving.  Hope that makes sense!

Edited by Mucker1884

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

That's right, I keep clicking into that thread with the awful photos of spiders and I keep dropping my phone! They are too scary. And too realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not a forum issue but I didn’t want to start a separate thread for it as I could be totally wrong about this and typing nonsense but here goes...

Does anyone remember a facility on the forum where you could see how many posts someone has contributed to a particular thread ? 

I seem to remember @mozza using it once but it could be another one of my wackier dreams and there has never been anything of the kind.

Apologies for wasting your time if that is the case. ?