Jake Buxton - signed for Burton

Who do you want as your 4th choice CB? Shackell or Buxton? Think about wages and attitude. Think about someone being a role model for youngsters coming through.

People really underestimate the importance of people around the club beyond the starting XI on Saturday at 3pm.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Don't forget, Rowett turned Shotton into a world beater for a few months! I would have no concerns with Buxton on the pitch. He's proven to be committed, able and consistent enough.  

I don't think it was as much "turned Shotton into a world beater" as Shotton went from a team that exposed his weaknesses (poor ability on the ball) to a team that played to his strengths (his height/pace/athleticism etc). Buxton is pretty much the opposite, he's great on the ball, but he's slow and short. McClaren's team played to his strengths - we kept the ball well so he wasn't under pressure, while letting Bucko play out from the back.  If we're going to be more like Rowett's Birmingham team, then it's the opposite - we won't be playing out from the back and the back 4 will have to deal with sustained pressure.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

I don't think it was as much "turned Shotton into a world beater" as Shotton went from a team that exposed his weaknesses (poor ability on the ball) to a team that played to his strengths (his height/pace/athleticism etc). Buxton is pretty much the opposite, he's great on the ball, but he's slow and short. McClaren's team played to his strengths - we kept the ball well so he wasn't under pressure, while letting Bucko play out from the back.  If we're going to be more like Rowett's Birmingham team, then it's the opposite - we won't be playing out from the back and the back 4 will have to deal with sustained pressure.

Why are you focussing on Rowett's way at Birmingham? Why not his way at Burton? His way at Burton is the same as Clough and Buxton did fine in a Clough side! 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Who do you want as your 4th choice CB? Shackell or Buxton? Think about wages and attitude. Think about someone being a role model for youngsters coming through.

People really underestimate the importance of people around the club beyond the starting XI on Saturday at 3pm.

The thing is, 4th choice centre back is almost entirely a waste of cash. Assuming we're playing a back 4 (which I know is not absolutely certain yet), you start the same 2 centre halves every single week, with at most the 3rd on the bench.  If someone gets injured/suspended, the 3rd guy comes in - and then you have a choice, you either use someone like Wisdom/Forsyth/Baird as your backup and put an extra attacker on the bench, or you use your 4th choice centre half.  So at best, your 4th choice CB is a guy that *might* be on the bench when someone else is unavailable.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Why are you focussing on Rowett's way at Birmingham? Why not his way at Burton? His way at Burton is the same as Clough and Buxton did fine in a Clough side! 

I'll admit I didn't see much of his Burton side, but everything I did see/hear implies it was similar to his Birmingham side - solid and cautious.  Clough was much more willing to allow players to play out from the back.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, 4th choice centre back is almost entirely a waste of cash. Assuming we're playing a back 4 (which I know is not absolutely certain yet), you start the same 2 centre halves every single week, with at most the 3rd on the bench.  If someone gets injured/suspended, the 3rd guy comes in - and then you have a choice, you either use someone like Wisdom/Forsyth/Baird as your backup and put an extra attacker on the bench, or you use your 4th choice centre half.  So at best, your 4th choice CB is a guy that *might* be on the bench when someone else is unavailable.

Yes......

Which is why you want someone cheap and is a good influence when not playing.

2 hours ago, Venkman 2 said:

I`ve heard from a decent source that we have offered him a 1 year deal, but he has been told that his chances of a regular place in the team are slim, but GR likes his attitude and wants him around the 1st team squad.

He is torn as he really wants to come back but has been offered 2 year deals by Burton and Notts C and he still feels that he can perform at this level so I fully expect him to go to Burton.

Stinks of Pearson bringing Weale in, apart from Buckos history with us. Steer clear imo.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Burton just signed Warnock, if they do sign Buxton and Brayford back they will be able to field an ex Derby back 4 - Brayford Barker Buxton Warnock

With Bywater in net

54 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

People spend too much time hung up on ability when they should focus on performance! 

Buxton, for me, almost always played to his optimum ability, effectively better than almost all of his team mates who have more ability but don't perform. 

Don't forget, Rowett turned Shotton into a world beater for a few months! I would have no concerns with Buxton on the pitch. He's proven to be committed, able and consistent enough.  

Spot on Sir. We need that character and determination. We need a player like Jake Buxton on the pitch. I would have him in the team...it's not about sentimentality.  It's about building that culture of no surrender and never say die. I think GR understands that very well.    

I'll be disappointed if he signs for two reasons:

1. I don't think he has a cat in hells chance of playing more than half the games. Maybe even a dozen. I don't buy the we need "character" in the dressing room argument.

2. If he decides to join Derby instead of Burton where he'd get regular football..... it says a lot about his "character" if he chooses to come here for a pay day instead of first team football doesn't it? 

Would be an unnecessary signing for me as would anymore CB signings.

Rowett has spoke several times now about having a smaller squad, wanting a settled side. When speaking about the Hughes transfer he talked about the importance of having academy players feeling like they will get an opportunity. Now I don't know enough about the U23's I will admit to say we have players ready to step up but could it be possible we do? Rawson is still at the club is he not? 

Also during the Wisdom transfer interview he was praising the versitality he offers us covering CB and that's what you need when operating with a small squad.

I think we could easily move one of Shackell or Pearce on and be comfortable without bringing in a replacement. 

If we can't go 4 months with 3 CB's and one that can cover that role and the academy there is something wrong.

Backups for backups for backups for backups, that's how we ended up with a squad this big.

TobyWanKenobi
43 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

... and Tom Naylor sitting just in front of the back 4.

Impenetrable.

Haha. Never change, Nigel. Jobs for the boys.

Why would we even consider any more incomings before players leave?

Hughes and Camara gone. Davies and Wisdom in. The squad is exactly the same size, but we still want to trim it considerably. If Rowett says he's looking at 2-3 more to arrive, then we'll be looking to ship off about 7 or 8 more players before the season starts. No guarantee we will actually be able to shift these players either, so the squad will continue to be even more bloated.

Archived