Steven Caulker - Signed for Dundee

DcFc Dyycheee

56 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Why would we take the risk? Why do we assume things would be any different here at Derby? How would this signing fit the stated brief and will he definitely be better than what we already have? Fair do's to the lad and I hope he gets things worked out but the risk profile on this seems pretty high unless we pick him up for an absolute song. Even then we risk weakening our defence in favour of improved cash flow.

This is exactly the type of signing where Mel should be challenging Rowett. Why him? Why not someone with fewer personal problems? What will he bring that we don't already have? Is he worth the wages?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like at QPR, I needed to justify the money they were paying me but I was in a state and, at some point, there has to be a duty of care.

Bollx

13 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

Well,Rowett signed Shotton for Birmingham and managed to get him playing well-miracles never cease!

Bollx

QPR just want him out and off the wage bill by the sound of it, and I'm pretty sure they will release him next summer when his contract expires if he's still there.

As I said earlier in the in the thread bringing him in on loan is pretty risk free, they'll cover part of his wages I suspect that.  Maybe trigger a 2 year contract. If he plays e0 gamres

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading something about Michael Carrick, the story went something along the lines of the Tottenham manager at the time contacted Alex Ferguson to ask if he would like to buy Michael Carrick who was looking like the next big thing, but had a real bad gambling addiction and the Spurs manager thought London life was the issue.

Ferguson liked Carrick as a player and bought him to Manchester and helped him with his addiction.

Sometimes a change of scenery, or a certain personality like Ferguson (or Rodgers) could help.

• 5 months later...
On 14 July 2017 at 11:09, TroyDyer said:

People can beat addiction. Look at Roy Carroll. Has totally rebuilt his life. If Caulker came here, with his obvious ability, and managed to beat his demons, then we would have a hell of a player. 

still a shi..t keeper.

Archived