Disillusionment

brady1993

One of my mates goes to Leyton Orient every now and then cos his mate is a massive fan - Went with them last season for one game - Gave me a new appreciation for where we are - They lost the League 1 playoff final the day after we lost to QPR.

I watched the game with the lad in this documentary (the big lad Dan) and had a beer with him afterwards - compared to that we're in excellent hands with decent promise for the future - Don't sweat the small stuff

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

This is not so much me complaining about pragmatic football  (thats an entirely different debate), it's more the dream of going up playing breathtaking football featuring truly gifted academy players has been well and truly shattered.

But surely the point is we didnt go up despite playing breath taking football.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Health warning: long melodramatic rant to follow.

Let me start by saying that I have been a derby fan for as long as I can remember, however due to being 24 I never really had a chance to see many good derby teams (I can just about remember seeing us in playing in the premiership in the late 90s early 00s). The first Derby side that I could say I truly loved was the 13/14 side. 

It was a side that played breathtaking football in a league where playing attractive football was shied away from for more 'pragmatic' football. It was a side built with a jumble of bargain buys and offcuts, sprinkled with a few special midfield talents in Hughes and Hendrick. A side where from 1 to 11 you could find technically gifted players all capable of recieving the ball in difficult situations and coming out on top. It was a side that was a joy to watch and one that I felt for the first time, as an adult derby fan, that I could be proud of. That  feeling continued all the way through 14/15, despite the end to that season I felt like all we needed was a couple more players to round out the squad and we could go onto to win the league. 

But somewhere since then and now we have become the complete antithesis of that 13/14 side. We have a squad full of highly paid, aging footballers who we bought for bloated fees for reasons that don't add up.  We have a side that has several severely technically deficient players that barely look like footballers. We have a side with no clear style of play and we've all but sold of our exciting midfield talents. And now it seems like we will shift course to become more pragmatic under Rowett.

To the see the degradation of that 13/14 side into what we have now through poor management and poor senior management has been painful to say the least. Particularly as it felt all too avoidable. The inevitable  sale of Hughes just feels like the straw that broke the camel's back for me and now I just feel completely disillusioned about Derby County.

Maybe this time next season it will all be forgotten but right now I'm not sure how much I care.

Get a grip man ! Change is what was needed change is what we're getting. Exciting times ahead fellow Rams trust me.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I agree completely, the 13/14 was brilliant to watch and well balanced, particularly the midfield. Having said that, are we overrating them slightly? I know Thorne wasn't in the team then but we got ripped to shreds on occasions and outfought , particularly in the 4-1 loss to Pearson's Leicester and in the defeat against Burnley. Likewise in the defeats away against QPR, Ipswich, Boro and the 3-3 draw against Brum. Think it's fair to say it was great to watch when it was on song but when it wasn't we got bullied at times.

That Burnley game should never be used in argument against that Derby side. Utter farce that one.

Why are people so fussed, these are professional bottlers!

Everyone after the last game of the season was in agreement that they wouldn't be bothered if any of the squad left.. overpaid big time charleys. Bye ✋

8 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Get a grip man ! Change is what was needed change is what we're getting. Exciting times ahead fellow Rams trust me.

There's a weird echo in here

I'm sure people were saying that last year - And the year before

It's funny, old timer that I am, the 13/14 team was really my baptism as a new Ram. They were good. They played exciting football at times, fast free flowing and some useful talent. But you know, there were dull days as well, when clever teams shut Chris Martin down or played 2 banks of 4 high up the field and we failed and failed again to unlock them. Without Eustace and later Thorne pulling strings and tidying up we looked very average. Some lovely moments of Will on the ball or Wardy doing wind ups or even Bryson charging upfield to receive from CM. All great .. But where did we end up ? I will be desperately sad to see Will go. I think this season could have been the one. He has come back from injury physically a lot stronger than before. The muscle is there to go with the art. I will always remember the Leicester cup game, time and again he danced through their midfield, showboating to an extent but only because he is confident and gifted. Yet, one player does not make a team. It's about units and who works well with who.

we don't know who might come in, we don't know who will leave or who will come up and make the grade but I am still enthused.

I am playing private formations ... How will Fozzy change our back line ? WIsdom behind Ince ? Martin with Vydra feeding off him ?  Nuge having an Indian summer at the Park ? Will Hanson develop ? Will Elsnik, Lowe and other come on ? 

Loads to play for and to enjoy. Not worried at all ( for now ;))

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who? I've been watching for nigh on 50 years, we might have sold players in their prime or past their prime or never gonna have a prime, but I can't think of any that we've sold before their prime that have Wills talent? Huddlestone and Hendrick (hmmm no more youngsters starting with H please!) weren't a patch on the football delights of Will!

Who mentioned where they were in the career ,Gemmill to Forest was a bigger crime than this ,and don't assume I don't rate will ,it was a frivolous  response to some one who is more gutted than me ,stupid sale.

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Health warning: long melodramatic rant to follow.

Let me start by saying that I have been a derby fan for as long as I can remember, however due to being 24 I never really had a chance to see many good derby teams (I can just about remember seeing us in playing in the premiership in the late 90s early 00s). The first Derby side that I could say I truly loved was the 13/14 side. 

It was a side that played breathtaking football in a league where playing attractive football was shied away from for more 'pragmatic' football. It was a side built with a jumble of bargain buys and offcuts, sprinkled with a few special midfield talents in Hughes and Hendrick. A side where from 1 to 11 you could find technically gifted players all capable of recieving the ball in difficult situations and coming out on top. It was a side that was a joy to watch and one that I felt for the first time, as an adult derby fan, that I could be proud of. That  feeling continued all the way through 14/15, despite the end to that season I felt like all we needed was a couple more players to round out the squad and we could go onto to win the league. 

But somewhere since then and now we have become the complete antithesis of that 13/14 side. We have a squad full of highly paid, aging footballers who we bought for bloated fees for reasons that don't add up.  We have a side that has several severely technically deficient players that barely look like footballers. We have a side with no clear style of play and we've all but sold of our exciting midfield talents. And now it seems like we will shift course to become more pragmatic under Rowett.

To the see the degradation of that 13/14 side into what we have now through poor management and poor senior management has been painful to say the least. Particularly as it felt all too avoidable. The inevitable  sale of Hughes just feels like the straw that broke the camel's back for me and now I just feel completely disillusioned about Derby County.

Maybe this time next season it will all be forgotten but right now I'm not sure how much I care.

This is just how I felt until 5 mins ago. And then I remembered George is returning....  Please be fit George.... Please stay fit.... He has the capability to make us tick and dictate play with beautiful technical football. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who? I've been watching for nigh on 50 years, we might have sold players in their prime or past their prime or never gonna have a prime, but I can't think of any that we've sold before their prime that have Wills talent? Huddlestone and Hendrick (hmmm no more youngsters starting with H please!) weren't a patch on the football delights of Will!

Brian Clough sold Phil Boyer to York City for £3,000 (three thousand) without giving him a single first team start. It irked
me greatly at the time, and still does to this day. Having seen him play for the reserve team, I couldn't wait to see what he
could do in tandem with King Kevin, but we never got the chance to find out.

Boyer was subsequently sold for transfer fees of £20k, £145k, £120k, £220k, and went on to gain a full England cap ( just the one ).

Clough made many good, even great, transfer calls in his time here, but selling Boyer, without giving him a chance, was a shocker.

Boyer went on to haunt Clough when he was at Forest, and also Derby County.

From Wiki -          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Boyer        :- 

"His most memorable game for Southampton came as they gained revenge against Nottingham Forest on 10 November 1979. Forest, then reigning European champions, were unable to cope with Boyer and Mick Channon up front and suffered their worst defeat since Brian Clough took charge four years earlier. They had a chance of winning a point when Garry Birtles brought them back into the match at 2–1 in the 56th minute, but Boyer struck twice in seven minutes to complete a memorable 4–1 victory. Boyer's second goal completed a five-man, six-touch move and the shot left goalkeeper Peter Shilton stranded from a Channon cross.

In the 1979–80 season he collected the fine return of 23 goals from 42 games (again ever-present) to finish as Division One's leading scorer. This tally included hat-tricks against Derby County, Crystal Palace and Brighton & Hove Albion."
Selling Hughes for somewhere between £4m - £10m, depending on who you believe, or what you want to believe, doesn't bother me at all.

We've seen him play for over five years now, and, for me, he hasn't progressed at all in that time. The move gives him the chance to kick-on with his career, in a higher Division.  

25 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Who mentioned where they were in the career ,Gemmill to Forest was a bigger crime than this ,and don't assume I don't rate will ,it was a frivolous  response to some one who is more gutted than me ,stupid sale.

I'm afraid this is the disillusionment thread, not the frivolous thread.

24 minutes ago, curtains said:

This must be the worst thread ever.  

When we are all Loki g forward to a new season we get this sort of thread. 

You've got quite the brass neck considering your posting history.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

This must be the worst thread ever.  

When we are all Loki g forward to a new season we get this sort of thread. 

I was thinking this and since you've posted it, I agree. 

I just don't get this angst, it's all a bit, well, soap opera to me. It's football, players come and go. Next season will tell then if Will is the player some fans have been saying he is. Or it won't. 

Meanwhile our club carries on. Another season of ups and downs, sunny days and rainy days, beer, pies and laughs with other fans. A player leaving bringing you down? No. 

I'm struggling to be positive.

We've bought a RB we had in 2014. I rated him then but he's not got any better or he wouldn't be coming back.

We've bought Curtis Davies

We've got Martin and Thorne back.

We're selling the exact player we should be looking to buy. Young and promising with rough edges. Not players going down the hill.

There was no particular  improvement in our football since Rowett came in

There's no obvious style.

There's no system that seems to be in place

Despite all the arse kissing, Rowett still didn't perform miracles at Brum or Burton. Not that it's relevant to how he will do at Derby but some seem to be very confident he's going on to great things. I don't see why. Not saying he isn't but I don't feel anymore confident than with Pearson or Clement. All there is to blind faith me is that he gives a good interview.

I'm failing to see what it is that will make this team a top team in the season from the boring disjointed mid table team it was in May. 

Archived