Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

He deserves premier league football. But still Gutted. 

Not really a smart move by Rowett as he's lost a lot of goodwill from the supporters out of the gate - almost all of whom adore Hughes - and his managerial leash has been significantly shortened with results expected immediately. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ninos said:

He deserves premier league football. But still Gutted. 

Not really a smart move by Rowett as he's lost a lot of goodwill from the supporters out of the gate - almost all of whom adore Hughes - and his managerial leash has been significantly shortened with results expected immediately. 

Agree. In poker terms Mel and Gary have gone All In with selling Will. Hope the hand their hold is promotion otherwise they'll lose.

Are those mourning the death of 'good football' deliberately re-writing history? The football has been pretty average for the best part of 2 and a half seasons now. Keeping the ball for the sake of it without any real idea of how we're going to create something is not particularly entertaining in my book.

The coming change towards aggressive more purposeful football is very welcome, bring it on.

Just been flicking through Twitter and saw the official Watford FC Notice saying " Welcome to Watford Will Hughes". It made me feel really sad, like we have lost a close member of the family.

I wish him well....he deserves the chance, but for the moment, it's going to feel weird and a bit empty without him.

Might deck a few more beers tonight!

1 hour ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

He's generous with his comments and right about moving on.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Heart-breaking to be left behind too.

Bit like Childhood sweethearts, can only look on fondly if your girl goes on to be a superstar and think, I knew her when she was just a kid.

Somehow I don't think he'd have played as much from what Phillips said, so let's hope he proves he's a top talent, after all be nice to get 15% of £30-40 million in a few years time.

This move is probably in his best interests, always thought he'd go if not this, then next year if we didn't go up; the frustration for me is Watford and the fee.

We had our chance with Hughes, disappointment will fade but we'll both move on.

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You're right that Davies' team was awful to watch but that wasn't the main reason for our lack of success in the prem. We didn't have anywhere near enough money to compete then. 

3.5 million for Claude Davis the same for Robert Earnshaw,  Savages wages, it wasn't that we didn't have the money to compete it's because as like recently we blew the money on poor signings

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You're right that Davies' team was awful to watch but that wasn't the main reason for our lack of success in the prem. We didn't have anywhere near enough money to compete then. Whether we like Mel or not, he'd certainly back us financially if we were to get there.

Also, how do you know that potentially signing Whelan means we are going to play rubbish football? Stoke have been entertaining and more technically efficient under Mark Hughes but Whelan still remained in their team. 

Finally, how do you know that Rowett himself wants us to play boring football? Rowett said he's a massive fan of the heavy metal type of football that Klopp played at Dortmund, doesn't sound like he wants to play hoof ball to me and the games against Fulham and wolves towards the end of the season reinforce this.

Every manager in the world, well most anyway, will want to play entertaining, winning football but you know certain method types and style of player will restrict the chances of that happening.

I don't begrudge Hughes a move to the PL, but for the amount we've sold him at (BBC quoted an £8m deal) it shows we never put up a fight and were happy to move him on.

In what world would you be happy to move on such a technically gifted player at 22 years of age who has come through your own acadmey? I just don't understand the reasoning behind it at all.

To rub salt into the wounds, Watford spent £12.5m on a relatively unknown 21-year-old in Isaac Success 12 months ago. A player who had only 49 senior appearances under his belt (scoring 7 goals).

Hughes has 170 appearances under his belt, has captained the England U21 side, is technically one of the best players outside the Premier League and has the ability to control games.

I just can't comprehend it at all.

If we were offered £15m and decided it was too good to refuse I wouldn't mind. But instead we've actively sold him without a fight. 

10 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Are those mourning the death of 'good football' deliberately re-writing history? The football has been pretty average for the best part of 2 and a half seasons now. Keeping the ball for the sake of it without any real idea of how we're going to create something is not particularly entertaining in my book.

The coming change towards aggressive more purposeful football is very welcome, bring it on.

The end of the McClaren #1 Era was good football. We might have been **** at defending, however we were capable of ripping teams to shreds. It was entertaining. Point taken about Clement and Pearson eras. I don't think Wassall's era was average football, it seemed more in the ilk of McClaren, he certainly tried to play an attacking style - see beating Hull 4-0 at Pride Park. 

So far, under Rowett we've been just as guilty of the ponderous play you mentioned previously. Slightly more direct, however still very little idea when we played the ball out. I don't disagree with the principle of direct football being good to watch, however I'm not sure that Rowett will necessarily be able to deliver it.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. Hughes has moved up, will DCFC do the same?

Jury out on both for now, at this moment Hughes future looks brighter than ours. But I'm an optimist and see no reason why we can't be competitive next year with a few decent signings.

Been said elsewhere, this feels a little like the Pickering era when Smith came in and broke up a team, brought in decent if not stellar signings at first. Rowett seems to be moving along similar lines.

Lets hope so eh.

25 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You're right that Davies' team was awful to watch but that wasn't the main reason for our lack of success in the prem. We didn't have anywhere near enough money to compete then.

Actually it was a combination of awful football and awful signings. Statistically the teams that stay up in the prem are those who score a lot of goals in the championship ie Watford, Leicester or Bournmouth. Those who normally aim for a strong defence as opposed to an attack tend to struggle ie Boro or Burnley (who yoyo'd until they invested heavily in their attack).

Good luck Will in the Prem,you will always be one of our own, show the prem what you can do and the skys the limit for you , England are crying out for a playmaker like you so grasp this chance and showcase your talents . Rams fans are very proud of you , hope to see you again soon when the Rams visit Watford for a Premier league game

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Every manager in the world, well most anyway, will want to play entertaining, winning football but you know certain method types and style of player will restrict the chances of that happening.

I don't begrudge Hughes a move to the PL, but for the amount we've sold him at (BBC quoted an £8m deal) it shows we never put up a fight and were happy to move him on.

In what world would you be happy to move on such a technically gifted player at 22 years of age who has come through your own acadmey? I just don't understand the reasoning behind it at all.

To rub salt into the wounds, Watford spent £12.5m on a relatively unknown 21-year-old in Isaac Success 12 months ago. A player who had only 49 senior appearances under his belt (scoring 7 goals).

Hughes has 170 appearances under his belt, has captained the England U21 side, is technically one of the best players outside the Premier League and has the ability to control games.

I just can't comprehend it at all.

If we were offered £15m and decided it was too good to refuse I wouldn't mind. But instead we've actively sold him without a fight. 

We don't know the ins and outs of the deal, there might have been a clause in his contract when he signed a new one earlier this season that allowed him to leave on the cheap if we didn't go up. Rowett might not have had a choice, similar to the Baird and Bent deals because of clauses in their contracts, which were out of Rowett's hands. Think we should just give Rowett at least a couple months before deciding whether the football is complete rubbish.

28 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Maybe it wasn't Rowett who sanctioned the deal 

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Actually it was a combination of awful football and awful signings. Statistically the teams that stay up in the prem are those who score a lot of goals in the championship ie Watford, Leicester or Bournmouth. Those who normally aim for a strong defence as opposed to an attack tend to struggle ie Boro or Burnley (who yoyo'd until they invested heavily in their attack).

You can pick out many examples for either side, football isn't that black and white. Palace, West Ham, West Brom and Stoke played percentage football but have made themselves premier league regulars.

I am interested where this suggestion that we are going to hoof the ball has come from. Just because we will have less of the ball, doesn't mean it will be less entertaining. 

Archived