Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

13 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Cuz i support Derby and i want to see us playing at the top level, the style of football doesnt overly matter. If im honest id like us to go up playing nice football like Swansea and Bournemouth which is why i wasnt that keen on Rowett coming in as we are never going to play nice football under him

What's the point in playing at the top level if we're NOT to be like a Swansea or Bournemouth though? 

We're never going to compete, we might as well entertain. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, cannable said:

What's the point in playing at the top level if we're NOT to be like a Swansea or Bournemouth though? 

We're never going to compete, we might as well entertain. 

Because for every Swansea and Bournemouth you get a Stoke and West Brom

52 minutes ago, cannable said:

Why not watch non-league instead then? 

Nowt wrong with non league mate... Lincoln are my local team and I went to see them a few times last season when we were away and they played better stuff than we did half the time! 

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

"Will Hughes is close to a £8m move to Watford, we hear. In modern money that's basically a free transfer. Good business."

I think, given the above comment, we can deduce we're the current laughing stock of the Midlands.

Come on Forest, do something daft. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

What were fans actually expecting from Rowett when he joined? He isnt known for getting his team playing nice football he is known for making his teams efficient and effective something we have lacked. All this mention of Pulis style of football blah blah, id rather play Pulis style football and get promoted than nice football and stay a nearly team.

What worries me is we were saying these exact same words this time last year about NP and we turned to a bag of ****

Guys I've been working in London all day so been unable to follow the news.. Can someone tell me what the fee actually is? I'm seeing everything between £4.5m and £10m, and suggestions that Watford are writing off some of our debt to them, as part of the transfer. Anyone able to fill me in? 

Just now, GadFly said:

Guys I've been working in London all day so been unable to follow the news.. Can someone tell me what the fee actually is? I'm seeing everything between £4.5m and £10m, and suggestions that Watford are writing off some of our debt to them, as part of the transfer. Anyone able to fill me in? 

Nobody knows mate really

1 minute ago, GadFly said:

Seems to be something between £4.5m rising to £7m or £8m rising to £10m depending on who you believe.

The whole writing off the Anya and Vydra transfers is probably nonsense. The fee would still be the full figure it would just mean less was actually paid over after the deal was done as the debts would cancel out. Think its people clutching at straws hoping the fee is actually bigger.

20 minutes ago, GadFly said:

The wonders of the undisclosed fee that every transfer we have ever done has, we will never know the ins and outs and will be left in the dark as per usual.

Was a pleasure watching him tonight. Really tinged with a sadness though. Knitted the side together well, advanced when needed, recycled when necessary, cut out passing lanes and put tackles in and got clobbered by their team all the time and won a load of free kicks. 

I for one will miss him. I'm hopeful for the start of the season and Rowetts plan, but we will be losing a real footballer in our Will. 

3 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Was a pleasure watching him tonight. Really tinged with a sadness though. Knitted the side together well, advanced when needed, recycled when necessary, cut out passing lanes and put tackles in and got clobbered by their team all the time and won a load of free kicks. 

I for one will miss him. I'm hopeful for the start of the season and Rowetts plan, but we will be losing a real footballer in our Will. 

Oh God.  Where did I put the rope?

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

Erm I'm not serious. I'd like him to stay but I'm sure GR knows what he's doing.

Just like Pearson did? It's only cuz he played for us that we think he's the messiah, let's see where we're at by Christmas? Fingers crossed he's got what it takes

5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Erm I'm not serious. I'd like him to stay but I'm sure GR knows what he's doing.

Could people stop being sure about things. Plenty of managers will be sacked next season because they simply don't know what they are doing (not to the required standard anyway). Why are there so many Derby fans that always have faith in the manager, regardless of who he is. Not simply supporting him, but 'sure' that they know what they are doing.

It's fair to say that Rowett doesn't appear to rate Hughes too highly, that alone should set alarms bells ringing. I can't see how a talented manager would fail to recognise footballing talent when it's right in front of them. We may be stuck with a fairly limited manager. He's probably got some motivational and organisational skills but possibly not much more. I don't see why any of us should be 'sure' about his ability at this point. Lets wait and see.

Why MM is allowing this is another worry, given that he has shown slightly dictatorial tendencies in the past, is he ok with this folly?  Or maybe he promised GR freedom in the transfer market. If so, he must be kicking himself now.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I've heard today off a very reliable source. That the total fee is £8.5 million with potential add ons and a sell on clause. 

Unfortunately we owe £4 million for Anya. So Watford are giving us 4.5 million and writing the money for Anya off. 

If this is right, and not much reason to doubt given @MACKWORTHRAM track record then I take back some of my criticism and think this is the right deal for Will and Derby. I like most people just don't want us being screwed over in transfers.

Rowett knows what's needed in the championship and he's building a squad to suit. Everyone knows we had too many pretty footballers and not enough steel and the squad is majorly unbalanced. The systems Rowett played towards the end of the season didn't figure Hughes, doesn't mean he isn't a good player. I think Will has been in the championship too long and it has held his game back. Good for him. He will thrive in the premier league, the dream was for us to get there with him and watch him flourish, but we failed to do it 3 times and the consequence is you lose your best players.

Will leaving does not mean we are going to play hoofball either. There are still talented footballers at the club, Thorne in particular. I'm sad to see Will go, I wish it was Butterfield but there aren't as many takers for him surprisingly. Hopefully Rowett can get more out of him as while he isn't Will, he does have ability.

As for the Pearson comparisons, seriously?? Rowett knows exactly what he wants to do. Pearson didn't sign anyone until the last day of the transfer window and tried to play a 4-4-2 with Hughes and Bryson in the middle, two of the smallest lightweight players in the championship. 

Interesting to see who he signs now.

Archived