anya for right back (if wisdom doesn't sign)

Derbylad92

On 10 June 2017 at 21:43, angieram said:

I think Anya's best performances for Derby have been when he's played as an attacking full back. Not sure I  recall him being up against any prolific wingers.

However, he seems better attacking from deep.

I can't remember which home game it was when he was ( night time I think ) being an attacking full back. He looked really useful. Made himself available, took up good positions countless times;  eager to go forward and can beat a man. 

I don't see him as an ace anywhere but a flipping good all round footballer. He has way better touch and awareness than many well known old hands. 

The price might have been "panic buy they saw us coming" daft .. But he is an asset and a worker too. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jono said:

I can't remember which home game it was when he was ( night time I think ) being an attacking full back. He looked really useful. Made himself available, took up good positions countless times;  eager to go forward and can beat a man. 

I don't see him as an ace anywhere but a flipping good all round footballer. He has way better touch and awareness than many well known old hands. 

The price might have been "panic buy they saw us coming" daft .. But he is an asset and a worker too. 

It was Bristol City, and again against Cardiff City.

Some people see a flipping good footballer, I see a fast runner who's better without the ball than with it. Either overruns the ball, leaves the ball behind, knocks it into the opposition player or over hits the cross. The one thing he's got in his locker (two if we include his pace) is that he's versatile (but not particularly good anywhere). 

Needs to improve an awful lot if he wants to be starting in August imo.

Christie says GR not keen on his full backs attacking. Prefers defensive full backs. While I'd love to see attacking wing backs or full backs, it is highly unlikely. 

We are not finding it easy to shift our players out in order to give GR room for manoeuvre. have 4 left wingers by my count, Huge numbers of midfielders (Thorne, Hughes, bryson, Johnson, butterfield, hanson, Elsnik, vernam (attacking mid / no.10), and way too many strikers. I hope we can shift a few. ..

No thanks. Watched the game on saturday, he didn't do all that much. Lallana was pushed out wide by Southgate which isn't he favourite position and Anya did ok against him, but he got around him a few times and could have punished Scotland in the first half. 

Just now, RamsPolls said:

No thanks. Watched the game on saturday, he didn't do all that much. Lallana was pushed out wide by Southgate which isn't he favourite position and Anya did ok against him, but he got around him a few times and could have punished Scotland in the first half. 

Lallana lacks pace and isn't a wide player at all. Bit like playing will wide right.

Or butters. 

The problem with Anya is, he's a jack of all trades and master of none.  He's a winger who can't cross, an inside forward who can't score, and a full back who can't defend.  All he's got is raw pace, and he's conclusive proof that Big Nige P was mugging us off, the whole 4 months he was in charge.  He royally f***ed us last season with his idiotic signings/ideas...

Initially i liked the look of him, but he really did nothing last season to cement a place in any of the positions he's been used in.  Will have to wait for his opportunity and use it well when it arrives.  It's back against the wall time for him, hopefully that will bring out the best in him.  Prefer him further up the pitch than at fullback though.  Baird was written off as a waste of space by many until he made the right back position his, lets see if Anya has the fortitude to do something similar.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I don't understand this thread - We have two actual RBs - Baird and Christie - Why would we play Anya there instead of one of them?

Because Curtis Davis isn't an exciting enough signing, the fixtures aren't out yet, no sneak peek of the new kit, and (most) people of gotten tired of arguing @toddy and Ninos about Martin, cus we all know he's staying...

10 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Because Curtis Davis isn't an exciting enough signing, the fixtures aren't out yet, no sneak peek of the new kit, and (most) people of gotten tired of arguing @toddy and Ninos about Martin, cus we all know he's staying...

Oh yeh

God I hate the off season... Nearly as much as I hate the actual season itself...

I think in this league Id prefer a full back who can stop the cross at source, and can also deal with it in the air for back post crosses. Anya is a fair full back, but you could say that about Christie and Olsson. Wheres in other leagues and maybe even international level Anya might be alright. His lack of height in this division leaves me worried.

Archived