Hughes and Mitchell - England u21s

Looking at the squad, you'd like to think we have a decent chance of getting somewhere in the tournament - some decent players (and that have been getting first team game time recently). Biggest issue will probably be whether Boothroyd has the balls to pick the best team as opposed to a team made up of the highest profile players from the bigger clubs....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cannable said:

I know I'm going against Eric Steele, Pascal Zuberbuhler, Nigel Pearson, Steve McClaren and Aidy Bothroyd when I say this… but as good as he is, he's too small. He's not even six foot. 

As already stated- he's 6'1" - same height as Kasper Schmeichel and if he proves to be anywhere near as good then that'll do for me.

33 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Looking at the squad, you'd like to think we have a decent chance of getting somewhere in the tournament - some decent players (and that have been getting first team game time recently). Biggest issue will probably be whether Boothroyd has the balls to pick the best team as opposed to a team made up of the highest profile players from the bigger clubs....

Hughes and Ward-Prowse have 25 more first team appearances between them than the five Chelsea graduates in the squad. Even if Izzy Brown and Loftus-Cheek were going then the seven of them would only have 70 more first term apps.

The Chelsea boys may well be better, they probably are... but it would be a statement if JWP and Willberforce were favoured because they play regularly.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

I was thinking more shots into the corner to be honest, few times now I've felt even if he was a couple of inches taller he'd have got more of a hand to it.

Isn't he a tinsy bit taller than Scott Carson? Pretty sure that the answer is yes to that. One of the best I have seen at Derby is Les Green who stood all of 5' 8"; great keeper but seemed to enjoy a beverage or two at inappropriate times.

5 hours ago, cannable said:

I know I'm going against Eric Steele, Pascal Zuberbuhler, Nigel Pearson, Steve McClaren and Aidy Bothroyd when I say this… but as good as he is, he's too small. He's not even six foot. 

It's how far he can leap that matters not his height. 

If he can jump higher than normal, or dive further than normal then theoretically there's no problem. I'm not saying he can do this mind.

5 hours ago, bcnram said:

He is 6' 1' according to the official website. Even for a goalkeeper I would go on ability rather than height. His physical strength is more important than an extra couple of inches.

you can't beat a couple of inches extra ?

5 hours ago, StringerBell said:

It's how far he can leap that matters not his height. 

If he can jump higher than normal, or dive further than normal then theoretically there's no problem. I'm not saying he can do this mind.

Height is only part of it. With a standard physique, a person's span is typically the same as their height. I'm only 6ft, but my span is 6ft 6", and hence I have the reach of a much taller person.  

38 minutes ago, ck- said:

Height is only part of it. With a standard physique, a person's span is typically the same as their height. I'm only 6ft, but my span is 6ft 6", and hence I have the reach of a much taller person.  

We need goalkeepers not Mr Tickle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope Hughes gets on the pitch tonight. Fed up of the rumour mill now, it helps no one and especially considering he's probably at his biggest tournament to date. Just want him to get a good few games under his belt and start enjoying his football again 

On 05/06/2017 at 12:30, cannable said:

A certain Colin Boulton was 5 11 and a smidge. Only player to play every game in our two title seasons. He didn't do too bad.  :drool:

How swift stayed in as long as he did was beyond me. 

Will wouldn't fit in with that side as none of them can pass a ball or find space unless it's a long ball over top. 

Of this is our next generation it's going to be a boring time watching England for even more years. 

1 hour ago, England Ram said:

How swift stayed in as long as he did was beyond me. 

Will wouldn't fit in with that side as none of them can pass a ball or find space unless it's a long ball over top. 

Of this is our next generation it's going to be a boring time watching England for even more years. 

Maybe WHEN Southgate fails they will move Simmo up a notch, as Boothroyd reminds me of the Howard Wilkinson ancient history approach to lumping it forward.

Simmo takes over the next level and propels them to glory, people might take notice. Wishful as it seems, fair chance Simmo might get the opportunity.

Archived