Hughes and Mitchell - England u21s

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Had no idea Mitchell was at that standard.

Good for the lads though, hope they can have good tournaments. The future is starting to look quite good for England.

Probably behind Pickford in the pecking order, by virtue of getting a) regular and b) Prem games.

15 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Had no idea Mitchell was at that standard.

Good for the lads though, hope they can have good tournaments. The future is starting to look quite good for England.

I know I'm going against Eric Steele, Pascal Zuberbuhler, Nigel Pearson, Steve McClaren and Aidy Bothroyd when I say this… but as good as he is, he's too small. He's not even six foot. 

29 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Probably behind Pickford in the pecking order, by virtue of getting a) regular and b) Prem games.

Agreed. Pickford was one of the best goalies in the Premier League this season and Mitchell sits on our bench. That's a pretty big gap.

15 minutes ago, cannable said:

I know I'm going against Eric Steele, Pascal Zuberbuhler, Nigel Pearson, Steve McClaren and Aidy Bothroyd when I say this… but as good as he is, he's too small. He's not even six foot. 

To be fair, neither is Iker Casillas. But yeah, being that short could be a big obstacle, especially when you compare him to someone like Courtois.

21 minutes ago, cannable said:

He is 6' 1' according to the official website. Even for a goalkeeper I would go on ability rather than height. His physical strength is more important than an extra couple of inches.

Good for the both of them. Mad that Will is still young enough.

Peter Shilton was (and is) 6ft. Nuff said.

Just now, bcnram said:

He is 6' 1' according to the official website. Even for a goalkeeper I would go on ability rather than height. His physical strength is more important than an extra couple of inches.

Spot on.

Claudio bravo is 6ft 0 and he doesn't seem to have done too badly for himself. 

** (well pep at least didn't think he was s***)

37 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I was thinking more shots into the corner to be honest, few times now I've felt even if he was a couple of inches taller he'd have got more of a hand to it.

Just now, cannable said:

I was thinking more shots into the corner to be honest, few times now I've felt even if he was a couple of inches taller he'd have got more of a hand to it.

Is it a positioning issue?

Carson is pretty tall but seems to get done by a number of slow pea rollers. Which suggests he's not in the right position. 

Same for mitchell? Bring back Eric? ?

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm surprised that they are both in the u21s? 

They are both 22.

They both were 21 when the qualifiers started that's why. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I think his height was the reason he got released by Newcastle. Most of the top teams don't even start scouting if young keeper ain't over 190 cm.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

well that's what I tell the missus :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

C) being the best English keeper in the league by a mile.  The lad had a brilliant season...

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Shay Given looked tiny in between the sticks, yet was one of the most consistent goalies of the past 15 years...

Archived