Apple

Day

29 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Bit of advice - I’ve got a 5s that’s just started to be a bit slower after updating to iOS 11.2.1. I’ve no particular need to upgrade it for what it does, but is it worth replacing the battery and will that fix the problems caused by the new software?

Nope, the new power management is only on the iPhone 6, 6S, SE and 7 at the minute.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

Addressing customer concerns

We’ve always wanted our customers to be able to use their iPhones as long as possible. We’re proud that Apple products are known for their durability, and for holding their value longer than our competitors’ devices.

To address our customers’ concerns, to recognize their loyalty and to regain the trust of anyone who may have doubted Apple’s intentions, we’ve decided to take the following steps:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.

Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.

As always, our team is working on ways to make the user experience even better, including improving how we manage performance and avoid unexpected shutdowns as batteries age.

At Apple, our customers’ trust means everything to us. We will never stop working to earn and maintain it. We are able to do the work we love only because of your faith and support — and we will never forget that or take it for granted.

On 22/12/2017 at 21:05, Lambchop said:

Bit of advice - I’ve got a 5s that’s just started to be a bit slower after updating to iOS 11.2.1. I’ve no particular need to upgrade it for what it does, but is it worth replacing the battery and will that fix the problems caused by the new software?

Replace the battery. With an S8, and bin the rest of the iphone. 

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Replace the battery. With an S8, and bin the rest of the iphone. 

My friend’s got an S8. I was actually using it on Christmas Day. It was horrible. No thanks. 

Before I replace this I’ll wait for a new iPhone that hasn’t got that stupid notch thing. 

Just now, Lambchop said:

Before I replace this I’ll wait for a new iPhone that hasn’t got that stupid notch thing. 

You barely notice it's there after a while, took me a few weeks to become blind to it will admit. Unlikely to go anywhere, this will be their thing to stand out from the rest.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Unlikely to go anywhere, this will be their thing to stand out from the rest.

Do you think so? I got the general impression it hadn’t been well received. Any feature which takes weeks to overcome your annoyance at is hardly a selling point. 

I also thought I’d read somewhere that a cheaper, more conventional version with the same screen was in the pipeline, but I could be wrong.

I’d go for a 7 or 8 now if there wasn’t the same worry about coping with the software updates. Again, that seems like bad marketing, but they sell billions so what do I know. 

Comes down to the individual I guess, I wasn't a fan at first, then I held it and swayed back and forth, like I say it did take a few weeks but now it's not the eyesore that some claim it to be.

What Apple does next is anyones guess, but if you take a look at their products across board the designs are fairly consistent for a number of years, the 6, 6S, 7 and 8 are almost identical.

The one majorly annoying thing with the X, more than the notch is the glass back, same on the 8 as well, they need it for the wireless charging but it's a nightmare for sliding around, always fishing it out from down the sofa as it slides out. If you're a case user though this wouldn't be an issue but I can't stand cases. 

11 hours ago, David said:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.

Taking $50 out of the cost of a replacement just shows how one of the tech companies are ripping the customer off, yes Samsung and all the other tech companies are doing it, the problem is when they slash the price people think they are being alturistic, not the actual fact they have been rippimg customers off since day one.

18 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Taking $50 out of the cost of a replacement just shows how one of the tech companies are ripping the customer off, yes Samsung and all the other tech companies are doing it, the problem is when they slash the price people think they are being alturistic, not the actual fact they have been rippimg customers off since day one.

Guess what. All big companies make huge profits on products they sell ?

12 hours ago, David said:

Comes down to the individual I guess, I wasn't a fan at first, then I held it and swayed back and forth, like I say it did take a few weeks but now it's not the eyesore that some claim it to be.

What Apple does next is anyones guess, but if you take a look at their products across board the designs are fairly consistent for a number of years, the 6, 6S, 7 and 8 are almost identical.

The one majorly annoying thing with the X, more than the notch is the glass back, same on the 8 as well, they need it for the wireless charging but it's a nightmare for sliding around, always fishing it out from down the sofa as it slides out. If you're a case user though this wouldn't be an issue but I can't stand cases. 

I think Apple need to invent some new products if they are not to be overtaken by Google and Amazon. They're a bit of a one trick pony. 

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think Apple need to invent some new products if they are not to be overtaken by Google and Amazon. They're a bit of a one trick pony. 

They did. A phone without a 3.5mm headphone jack :lol: