Apple

Day

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

My wife has a 5s and it is doing the same, although I did notice yesterday that the screen is lifting a little along one of the sides, so the battery is probably shot (they tend to expand as they die).

Ah cheers I'll have a look of hers is like that too

On 28 January 2018 at 20:08, David said:

If you want to share music from your Apple ID then yes set up family sharing, it will share just your app purchases, music and if you have a monthly music subscription.

This bit I don’t like, when you have family sharing setup and say child 1 wants to buy a game it gets charged to your account. 

There is an option to approve all purchases before they are made though.

To me it’s simple as I’ve seen it evolve I guess, but as with anything once you get your head around it, does get kinda simple.

Really David, many many thanks. My little rant and your logical response stired me in to action. Jeepers ... I now have my own ID and we have sorted sharing .... Eureka 

:o :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, David said:

If it’s a SE they are doing battery replacements for £25 right now, not sure when they end the offer though

Is the battery is no longer working isn’t this a manufacturing fault that would be covered under the 6year warranty you talked about?

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Is the battery is no longer working isn’t this a manufacturing fault that would be covered under the 6year warranty you talked about?

If the phone wouldn't work at all I would have thought so, but a decreased life is expected, not sure any battery would retain 100% of it's capacity for 6 years.

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80 per cent of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.

https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/service-and-recycling/

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Really David, many many thanks. My little rant and your logical response stired me in to action. Jeepers ... I now have my own ID and we have sorted sharing .... Eureka 

:o :thumbsup:

Ha sorry about that! I forget that people are new to the ecosystem and probably not aware of what you can and can't do.

Really would be nice to see user account switching on iPads when they advertise them for the family, just can't see them doing it, would rather try and push you to have a device per person for obvious reasons.

When you do have your own account/device you see how flawless it all is.

27 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s like expecting brake pads and tyres to be included in a cars warranty. 

Depends on how you look at it, for me the battery life is the result of poor manufacturing / design hence why only some of the batteries are affected and why Apple are giving a goodwill gesture to replace them at a cheaper price.

However in essence I agree with you, the 6 year warranty Apple offer will never be honoured as they will always refer to wear and tear as being the reason behind the fault.

48 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s like expecting brake pads and tyres to be included in a cars warranty. 

They are. If tyres and pads wear out in a reasonable period they are classed as service items and you have to pay to replace them, I they fail prematurely (and you can prove this) they are a warranty issue and should be replaced by the manufacturer. 

17 hours ago, Joe. said:

Ah cheers I'll have a look of hers is like that too

Go on eBay and get a replacement battery and tool kit for £10, then go and Youtube and watch how to fit it yourself.  Takes 15 mins.  I did it for my 6S just after Xmas, as it was getting painful, having to recharge it twice a day, one the new battery was in, it was as good as new.  Would've been happy to stick with it for a while longer but Carphone Warehouse gave me a great deal on an 8.

20 hours ago, David said:

If it’s a SE they are doing battery replacements for £25 right now, not sure when they end the offer though

It's an s she reckons, can't do this sadly

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Go on eBay and get a replacement battery and tool kit for £10, then go and Youtube and watch how to fit it yourself.  Takes 15 mins.  I did it for my 6S just after Xmas, as it was getting painful, having to recharge it twice a day, one the new battery was in, it was as good as new.  Would've been happy to stick with it for a while longer but Carphone Warehouse gave me a great deal on an 8.

Yeah think this is what I'll do, replaced screens in a couple of tablets with the help of YouTube so should be able to manage this I hope ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/1/2018 at 00:33, Joe. said:

My Mrs's iPhone cuts out and dies when the battery status says anything from 20-40% (not always but sometimes), she's / refusing to get a new one until her contract runs out. I want to bang a new battery in it for her but anyone know if this a software issue or an issue with the battery before I do it?

In the end I changed the battery on my wife’s iPhone 5s (for a compatible one, not original). Seems to have done the trick. Yesterday she got home with 2% battery and it was still working. Now I need to find a way for her to leave the house with the battery fully charged instead of 15%. I think that will be harder to resolve :(

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

In the end I changed the battery on my wife’s iPhone 5s (for a compatible one, not original). Seems to have done the trick. Yesterday she got home with 2% battery and it was still working. Now I need to find a way for her to leave the house with the battery fully charged instead of 15%. I think that will be harder to resolve :(

Powerbanks are great for emergency top-ups.

I've got a big capacity one, that'll charge an iPhone 6S about 6 times, for camping trips etc but Mrs Wolfie picked up a little one from Lidl that's about the size of a lipstick and cost about a fiver. She's terrible at keeping her phone charged & gives me some piece of mind...

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Powerbanks are great for emergency top-ups.

I've got a big capacity one, that'll charge an iPhone 6S about 6 times, for camping trips etc but Mrs Wolfie picked up a little one from Lidl that's about the size of a lipstick and cost about a fiver. She's terrible at keeping her phone charged & gives me some piece of mind...

I’ve got 3 of those small ones, that even though they’re a few years old and don’t give a 100% recharge but at least enough to be able to keep in touch in an emergency, plus a new one that’s admittedly a bit bulky but should recharge up to 4 mobiles, plus a charger in her car. I think that the problem is my wife more than the mobile in her case.

11 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I’ve got 3 of those small ones, that even though they’re a few years old and don’t give a 100% recharge but at least enough to be able to keep in touch in an emergency, plus a new one that’s admittedly a bit bulky but should recharge up to 4 mobiles, plus a charger in her car. I think that the problem is my wife more than the mobile in her case.

Haha I know what you mean. Somehow my wife seems to always have her phone plugged into the one mains charger we've got at home when I occasionally want to use it - and yet simulaneously never has her phone charged up. There's nowt wrong with her battery & she doesn't even have to switch the socket on, so I've no idea how she manages it! Bless her.

On 2/8/2018 at 07:22, richinspain said:

Our Mrs' must be related.  She drives me round the bend moaning it's always dying on her, but she never puts the *****ng down long enough to fully charge it!!!  Walks from one room to another, puts it on charge for 2 minutes, then takes it back into the other room and carries on gorming at Facebook!!!

27 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

gorming at Facebook!!!

Don't see how that's still possible. Can't just be my feed that is full of tag a mate that....and shared posts of food, animal abuse, competitions or memories that only that person really gives a **** about 5 years later.

4 hours ago, David said:

Don't see how that's still possible. Can't just be my feed that is full of tag a mate that....and shared posts of food, animal abuse, competitions or memories that only that person really gives a **** about 5 years later.

Not to mention all the smiley, happy photos that people load up to make it look like they have such a perfect life.  "Look at us, we're on holiday, we're such a loving family", yeah try thinking that when you find out you're both cheating on each other!!!  #fakebook

Edited by ramsbottom

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Not to mention all the smiley, happy photos that people load up to make it look like they have such a perfect life.  "Look at us, we're on holiday, we're such a loving family", yeah try thinking that when you find out you're both cheating on each other!!!  #fakebook

You ok hun?

Picked up a HomePod, wasn't going to but Hey Google was driving me nuts.

Anyway, the bad side. Doesn't appear to be any way to setup multiple users, if our iPhones can detect our voices why can't this and allow both me and the missus to use full functionality? This thing can make calls, read out texts, add notes, reminders and all that fun stuff yet for one person.

Another negative is there isn't any EQ settings, I love the way it sounds but the bass from this thing is insane and will get me in trouble with the neighbours, would have been nice to take it down a notch or two.

These are both easily fixable with software updates which I'm hoping they add.

Does sound good though if you're not a audiophile, really good, possibly slightly better than the Sonos. The microphone is also insanely good, you can literally whisper "Hey Siri" and it will pick up your voice. Crank the volume up with music and still no issues, other side of the house no problems. (I do live in a small house).

It's also much quicker to respond to what you ask compared to both the Google Home and Alexa (I've had all 3)

Obviously designed for those in the Apple Ecosystem, wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Seeing lot's of reviews list this as a negative but then the Google Home you only get the full features when either using an Android phone or Google's apps.