Summer Transfers 2017

Kernow

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I know Leverkusen didn't have the best of seasons last year but the only reason to leave them for West Ham is money!

West Ham are just a boring midtable side, they will never challenge for a CL spot. Leverkusen have a far better chance of making it to Europe.

Chicharito isn't short on cash so I'm bemused as to why he's going there.

Hernandez wants to play football. He wants to be first choice. He wants to play week in, week out. The Premier League is arguably the best league in the world. London is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the world. He will play in front of 50,000 passionate fans at the impressive London Stadium. He could be the key player, the star at a club with great traditions and an ambitious project moving forward. These are all good reasons to go alongside the obviously excellent money on offer.

Realistically, who else could he have signed for? Everton? Newcastle? He's not going to go to any of the genuinely top sides if he wants first-team football.

West Ham are a club with potential much greater than their 11th-place finish in the Premier League and being knocked out by Astra Giurgiu in the Europa League last season suggests. 

While I agree it is unrealistic at this time to expect them to challenge for Champions League football, at a club like that, you take it one step at a time.

Champions League football will not be the aim, the first step will be to consistently finish in the top 10 before trying to break up that well established top 6.

36 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Hernandez wants to play football. He wants to be first choice. He wants to play week in, week out. The Premier League is arguably the best league in the world. London is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the world. He will play in front of 50,000 passionate fans at the impressive London Stadium. He could be the key player, the star at a club with great traditions and an ambitious project moving forward. These are all good reasons to go alongside the obviously excellent money on offer.

Realistically, who else could he have signed for? Everton? Newcastle? He's not going to go to any of the genuinely top sides if he wants first-team football.

West Ham are a club with potential much greater than their 11th-place finish in the Premier League and being knocked out by Astra Giurgiu in the Europa League last season suggests. 

While I agree it is unrealistic at this time to expect them to challenge for Champions League football, at a club like that, you take it one step at a time.

Champions League football will not be the aim, the first step will be to consistently finish in the top 10 before trying to break up that well established top 6.

Chicharito was playing regular football at Leverkusen. His reason for leaving them for West Ham makes little sense from a footballing perspective. So I guess it's a lifestyle choice, which surprises me considering his character.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Chicharito was playing regular football at Leverkusen. His reason for leaving them for West Ham makes little sense from a footballing perspective. So I guess it's a lifestyle choice, which surprises me considering his character.

How does it make little sense from a footballing perspective?

For the modern footballer, lifestyle is everything, so what is there to be surprised about? They don't make career decisions based solely on what happens on the pitch. There are a number of factors to consider - the lifestyle it affords you being one of the biggest - and what West Ham can offer would tick a lot of boxes for a player like Hernandez at this stage of his career.

He has played for two of the biggest clubs in the world and won trophies, but at the same time, he wasn't able to establish himself as a key player for either of those teams. He simply wouldn't displace a starter at any of the top clubs in the major European leagues.

How would staying at Leverkusen - a club who are seemingly not stable, not moving forward, lack ambition, and are no threat to the established order in Germany - benefit him on any level?

There is obvious incentive on a personal, financial and professional level to join West Ham when they play in the best and most watched league in the world. He could be a star. He could be their main man. He could play regularly in front of 50,000 fans at an impressive and modern stadium. He could prove his previous managers at top clubs wrong. He could genuinely elevate West Ham. And to top it off, he gets paid handsomely and lives in one of the best cities in the world in the process. 

It's a no brainer...

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

How does it make little sense from a footballing perspective?

For the modern footballer, lifestyle is everything, so what is there to be surprised about? They don't make career decisions based solely on what happens on the pitch. There are a number of factors to consider - the lifestyle it affords you being one of the biggest - and what West Ham can offer would tick a lot of boxes for a player like Hernandez at this stage of his career.

He has played for two of the biggest clubs in the world and won trophies, but at the same time, he wasn't able to establish himself as a key player for either of those teams. He simply wouldn't displace a starter at any of the top clubs in the major European leagues.

How would staying at Leverkusen - a club who are seemingly not stable, not moving forward, lack ambition, and are no threat to the established order in Germany - benefit him on any level?

There is obvious incentive on a personal, financial and professional level to join West Ham when they play in the best and most watched league in the world. He could be a star. He could be their main man. He could play regularly in front of 50,000 fans at an impressive and modern stadium. He could prove his previous managers at top clubs wrong. He could genuinely elevate West Ham. And to top it off, he gets paid handsomely and lives in one of the best cities in the world in the process. 

It's a no brainer...

I disagree. I think he's moving to a club who are a long way away from where they want to be and given Chicharito's age he is set to play his peak years at a club who has a ceiling of 8th in the PL.

Considering who he is and his standing in the game, I'm bemused he's basically joining them for the money.

Such ambition... It's bizarre and IMO he has gone against his morals.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I disagree. I think he's moving to a club who are a long way away from where they want to be and given Chicharito's age he is set to play his peak years at a club who has a ceiling of 8th in the PL.

Considering who he is and his standing in the game, I'm bemused he's basically joining them for the money.

Such ambition... It's bizarre and IMO he has gone against his morals.

I agree that West Ham are not where they want to be. They finished 11th (at a time when two points separated 8th and 13th) and while Everton finished 16 points ahead of them in 7th, to conclude they have a ceiling of 8th is silly.

It's a new season and every team starts from zero, so time will tell just how much of a ceiling there is.

But for me, if there was a time for a club like West Ham to bridge the gap and break the established order, this would be it.

Arsenal are fragile. Man City, Man Utd and Everton are in transition. Liverpool are Liverpool.

It won't happen overnight but it began with Leicester winning the title and has continued with Spurs cementing their place in the top four, a window of opportunity has opened.

It might start with winning the FA Cup or the League Cup or by finishing 7th. Who knows where it could end?

But you can see by the calibre of player they are signing that for sure the club are not selling it as 'Come to West Ham. Earn millions of pounds. Wave to the crowd during the 'We finished 8th!' parade.'

11 hours ago, archram said:

I'm following this thread in the hope that sometime there'll be a player mentioned that I've heard of! I do admit though that I'm not very interested in football that doesn't feature dcfc

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-transfer-news-blues-13367661

Hull have had a bid for Shotton rejected by Birmingham.

Man City make another big/money signing.

Bernardo Silva (22) - £42.5m

Ederson (23) - £34m

Kyle Walker (27) - £43.5m

Benjamin Mendy (23) - £52m

Douglas Luiz (19) - £10.2m

I said City were planning on buying younger players this summer while getting rid of the likes of Caballero, Zabaleta, Sagna, Nasri, Kolorov, Nolito, Jesus Navas and Clichy who are all in their 30s.

I expect Bony, Delph, Iheanacho and possibly Fernando to leave too.

Guardiola has undertaken arguably the biggest rebuild job in Europe with the squad vastly changing. They had to though, with so many in their 30s and well past their prime. Last season he picked up such an ageing squad.

People are tipping them for the title this season. I still think they're behind Chelsea in terms of squad quality, but they're putting the right building blocks in place to really challenge on all fronts in the coming few years.

Archived