Summer Transfers 2017

Kernow

A thread for summer dealings/rumours from any other clubs.

I'll kick it off. I've just read that Bournemouth are offering 35-year-old Jermain Defoe a three-year deal on £115,000 a week... by the time he is 38 Defoe would've earnt £18mil from them. Not sure how true it is, but it's been in two different papers over the past two days.

Very risky business that, if Bournemouth go down with Defoe on their books then they're fooked.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kernow said:

A thread for summer dealings/rumours from any other clubs.

I'll kick it off. I've just read that Bournemouth are offering 35-year-old Jermain Defoe a three-year deal on £115,000 a week... by the time he is 38 Defoe would've earnt £18mil from them. Not sure how true it is, but it's been in two different papers over the past two days.

Very risky business that, if Bournemouth go down with Defoe on their books then they're fooked.

Blimey. Couldn't we help them out by offering Benty who's younger and cheaper?  Might get us a few quid too :thumbsup:

Just now, David said:

What signing for West Ham?

I meant DCFC signing players asap like West Ham getting their done early that's all. 

No rush, a lot of players will be away on holiday, pre season training not for a few weeks so they will only be sat around anyhow. As Rowett said it's rare to get deals done before June, Zabaleta being a free makes things easier.

Just now, David said:

No rush, a lot of players will be away on holiday, pre season training not for a few weeks so they will only be sat around anyhow. As Rowett said it's rare to get deals done before June, Zabaleta being a free makes things easier.

Fair comment David. ?

So City have let Clichy, Sagna, Zabaleta and Caballero leave. All ageing players, the squad overhaul starts now.

Pep will go for young players as he bids to build a dynasty at City, and in 22-year-old Bernardo Silva from Monaco they have the ideal long-term replacement for David Silva who is 31.

It may cost them a shed load of money, but Guardiola was brought in precisely to undergo their overhaul.

Gabriel Jesus looks a real find, Silva was fantastic for Monaco in the CL and Leroy Sane will only get better. Never been a fan of John Stones, but he could surprise me.

I'd be very excited for the next few years if I was a City fan.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

So City have let Clichy, Sagna, Zabaleta and Caballero leave. All ageing players, the squad overhaul starts now.

Pep will go for young players as he bids to build a dynasty at City, and in 22-year-old Bernardo Silva from Monaco they have the ideal long-term replacement for David Silva who is 31.

It may cost them a shed load of money, but Guardiola was brought in precisely to undergo their overhaul.

Gabriel Jesus looks a real find, Silva was fantastic for Monaco in the CL and Leroy Sane will only get better. Never been a fan of John Stones, but he could surprise me.

I'd be very excited for the next few years if I was a City fan.

So they have released three defenders and a goalkeeper and their first signing is an attacking midfielder. Classic Pep.

Of course, they will address other areas of the squad in due course but reading the articles around this signing, Pep's quotes indicate he is very set, surely too set in his ways.

Bernardo Silva is an interesting addition, a talented player with a growing reputation.

But my first thought was - is he what City really need? Is this the best move for Bernardo Silva? He is 22 years old, with his best years ahead of him, but he is coming from a club where he was first-choice, their star player, and playing week in, week out for a club re-emerging on the European stage.

At City, it's quite feasible he could find himself playing from the bench and this could stunt his development. He may displace Silva or de Bruyne in time, but at this time, you would be a brave man to put him in over your tried and trusted performers. David Silva has been consistently at the heart of City's best attacking play for the past seven years and doesn't show any serious signs of slowing down and de Bruyne has been City's outstanding player in the past two years.

So, yes, great signing, but I'm not actually sure what he will remedy, where he will fit into City's front line, or if he will find the consistency or the opportunities to elevate the team to new heights. But I could be wrong.

The real intrigue will come when Pep addresses the areas of the team that actually need addressing.

Archived