Summer Transfers 2017

Kernow

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a quick look on the Villa forum and all of the posts in the 'Pick your Starting 11' thread start with the phrase:

"If <insert player name> is fit, this 11 picks itself."

Each post then has a completely different starting 11. In some case, all 11 players different to the last post in every position.

Some of them even say "New Striker" instead of picking Hogan, Kodija, Agbonlahour, or McCormack :lol:

They have a first team squad of 32. Surely they need to start moving players on pretty soon!

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Clichy, Zabaleta, Sagna and Kolorov were all in their 30s, past their prime and in their last year of their contract.

With so many games to juggle in the PL, CL and Cups, most top teams have fullbacks and City needed to buy 4.

What were you expecting? They bought 4 new fullbacks for a combined £10m?

The PL money has reached ridiculous levels and everyone knows City are loaded so they can hold out for a higher price.

Guardiola will have his targets, but I bet he has little say in terms of fees ans contracts.

I've been impressed by Guardiola's signings this summer. He's mostly targeted players in their early 20's. Plenty with huge potential.

City also don't need to worry about FFP. They will make loads of money through other revenue streams, not to mention the fees received or wages saved on Zabaleta, Caballero, Sagna, Clichy, Nasri, Jesus Navas, Nolito, Hart, Ntcham, Mooy and Unal leaving.

They've already recouped £40m in fees alone from those and it looks like they will get another £40m combined for Delph and Iheanacho. They still have more sellable assets in Mangala, Fernando and Otamendi.

They will probably make a net loss of about £150m on fees after this summer.

But I doubt it will be like this every summer, so I guess they will spread payments and fall in line with FFP easily enough.

That said they probably can't afford to miss out on a CL spot this season.

If he is such a good manager as people say then surely he would be getting the best out of all of these players he is trying to sell?

Didn't Iheanacho have a ridiculously good strike rate last year but it appears he wants rid? 

Hart one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League but for rid of him for Bravo?

Kompany, Mangala and Otamendi, then spends £50m on Stones.

If the players he buys turn out to be good, brilliant, he will have proven himself as someone who is good at buying up all the talent because they have enough money to do it.

As a manager he will prove his real worth when he starts improving under performing players rather than just offloading them. 

That said, I understand how difficult it is when managers are under pressure to deliver instant results.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he is such a good manager as people say then surely he would be getting the best out of all of these players he is trying to sell?

Didn't Iheanacho have a ridiculously good strike rate last year but it appears he wants rid? 

Hart one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League but for rid of him for Bravo?

Kompany, Mangala and Otamendi, then spends £50m on Stones.

If the players he buys turn out to be good, brilliant, he will have proven himself as someone who is good at buying up all the talent because they have enough money to do it.

As a manager he will prove his real worth when he starts improving under performing players rather than just offloading them. 

That said, I understand how difficult it is when managers are under pressure to deliver instant results.

Pep's reputation was shattered after his Bayern teams lost to the three Spanish giants in the champions league semi finals(Real Madrid, Barca and then Atleti) but he is still one of the best coaches in the world. Think you're being a bit harsh when you say that he couldn't get the most out of the players Bris listed.

Let's not forget that he was labelled a genius at the start of the season(10-15 games) when he put sagna and clichy as the inverted centre mids. However, both were far too old to last a season and none of their full backs had enough stamina. They've solved their full back situation now though.

Iheanacho had a great goal ratio but his all round play was useless, similar to the criticisms Bent suffered last season for us.

He made the right decision getting rid of Hart, his attitude to training according to their goalkeeping coaches was shocking and he's been absolutely diabolical for over a year. The problem was that he didn't get a sufficient replacement but no-one could have predicted Bravo's suddden decline.

Kompany has many injury problems and the other two aren't convincing and he made the right decision grtting another centre back. I wouldn't have got Stones though, I don't rate him at all. I would have pushed really hard for someone like Laporte or Bonucci. My feeling was that Pep bought Stones, knowing that he is seen as the next darling of English football in order to gain a relationship with the English media. Don't underestimate this.

To end on a lighter note, many people close to Pep and to the Barca squad say that Pep often buys players in order to make an example to the rest of the players and almost bullies them to an extent. At Barca, he had Sanchez, Chygrynskiy and Tello to target. That's why Zlatan apparently left after only one season at Barca, he stood up to Pep's antics as did Etoo previously. At Bayern he had Reina, Benatia, Rode and shaqiri to target. I wonder if Nolito was bought in at City for that same reason.

I very much doubt that the last part is true, especially when Man City want Sanchez. Would be pretty funny though that the lauded genius Pep had to resort to bullying tactics on certain players to make the rest of the team appreciate that he is the real deal.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Pep's reputation was shattered after his Bayern teams lost to the three Spanish giants in the champions league semi finals(Real Madrid, Barca and then Atleti) but he is still one of the best coaches in the world. Think you're being a bit harsh when you say that he couldn't get the most out of the players Bris listed.

Let's not forget that he was labelled a genius at the start of the season(10-15 games) when he put sagna and clichy as the inverted centre mids. However, both were far too old to last a season and none of their full backs had enough stamina. They've solved their full back situation now though.

Iheanacho had a great goal ratio but his all round play was useless, similar to the criticisms Bent suffered last season for us.

He made the right decision getting rid of Hart, his attitude to training according to their goalkeeping coaches was shocking and he's been absolutely diabolical for over a year. The problem was that he didn't get a sufficient replacement but no-one could have predicted Bravo's suddden decline.

Kompany has many injury problems and the other two aren't convincing and he made the right decision grtting another centre back. I wouldn't have got Stones though, I don't rate him at all. I would have pushed really hard for someone like Laporte or Bonucci. My feeling was that Pep bought Stones, knowing that he is seen as the next darling of English football in order to gain a relationship with the English media. Don't underestimate this.

To end on a lighter note, many people close to Pep and to the Barca squad say that Pep often buys players in order to make an example to the rest of the players and almost bullies them to an extent. At Barca, he had Sanchez, Chygrynskiy and Tello to target. That's why Zlatan apparently left after only one season at Barca, he stood up to Pep's antics as did Etoo previously. At Bayern he had Reina, Benatia, Rode and shaqiri to target. I wonder if Nolito was bought in at City for that same reason.

What measurement do you use for him being one of the best coaches in the world?

You say Iheanacho's play other than his goals is pretty poor, so would one of the world's best coaches try and coach him other elements of the game or sell him?

No doubt his achievements are very good but, in my eyes it's a lot easier to go out spending £millions on players that everybody knows are good, than getting the best out of players you already have  (who have also had £millions spent on them)

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What measurement do you use for him being one of the best coaches in the world?

You say Iheanacho's play other than his goals is pretty poor, so would one of the world's best coaches try and coach him other elements of the game or sell him?

No doubt his achievements are very good but, in my eyes it's a lot easier to go out spending £millions on players that everybody knows are good, than getting the best out of players you already have  (who have also had £millions spent on them)

Don't really see how you can deny him been one of the best in the world. I'm not saying he is the best but he's definitely up there, he consistently gets to the latter stages of the champions league and was the manager of arguably the greatest club side ever. Everyone says that anyone could have won it with the likes of Xavi, iniesta and Messi but many forget that those three players' careers were at a crossroads before Pep came in. 

He helped Barca to regain their cruiyff identity that they lost during their previous managers and helped la masia to once again become the greatest academy in the world. It's no surprise that the standard of la masia has declined since Pep has left. Many say that Ferguson is the greatest, but Guardiola has won as many European cups as him in a much shorter period and school Ferguson's teams in two champions league finals. Also, anyone that can beat a Mourinho team 5-0 can't be half bad.

On Iheanacho, Pep probably can coach him but what's the point in keeping him when he's got Aguero and Jesus in front of him who are much better players. 

Name me any modern day manager who had a successful team without spending?

Its not as if Pep's not doing any coaching whatsoever. The majority of his signings like stones, sane, Mendy, ederson, Bernardo, Jesus are 23 or younger so he's helping to develop them long term.

58 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Name me any modern day manager who had a successful team without spending?

Its not as if Pep's not doing any coaching whatsoever. The majority of his signings like stones, sane, Mendy, ederson, Bernardo, Jesus are 23 or younger so he's helping to develop them long term.

There's spending and there's spending.

Guardiola himself knows they should have done better last season with what they spent.

His solution? Go out and spend loads more.

If he is such a great coach then why is he not going out buying cheap players with potential and coaching them to be greats? 

Like I said, not knocking his achievements but I don't see them as much more miraculous as something like Allardyce taking Bolton to 5th in the Premier League or Eddie Howe taking Bournemouth through the divisions.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Guardiola himself knows they should have done better last season with what they spent.

If he is such a great coach then why is he not going out buying cheap players with potential and coaching them to be greats? 

Like I said, not knocking his achievements but I don't see them as much more miraculous as something like Allardyce taking Bolton to 5th in the Premier League or Eddie Howe taking Bournemouth through the divisions.

Plucky Bournemouth that went up and demolished FFP rules in the process? ;)

I do agree in principle but when you have got teams spending huge sums on the likes of Martial and likely Mbappe it is hard to see where the young unproven talent comes from at a reasonable fee.

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Plucky Bournemouth that went up and demolished FFP rules in the process? ;)

I do agree in principle but when you have got teams spending huge sums on the likes of Martial and likely Mbappe it is hard to see where the young unproven talent comes from at a reasonable fee.

Yes but put into context it didn't take much for Bournemouth to fall foul of FFP rules because their income is minimal.

What was their record signing at the time that they got promoted from the Championship? 

It's not always about finding unearthed young talent, how about introducing players from the academy?

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because there are simply no cheap good players out there with potential due to inflation in the premier league and who would you drop for them? Pep can't wave his magic wand and require them to be to the standard he needs overnight, coaching takes a long, long time so the young players need to already be at a good standard. The good young players out there cost huge amounts like Mbappe potentially going to Real Madrid for 160 million. Guardiola's feats with Barca B far outweighs either of their achievements. In many ways, it's much easier being a coach at a smaller club because there is far less pressure. There's a reason why none of the top clubs have gone for allardyce or Howe yet. Would have thought that David Moyes' shocker at Man Utd would have dispelled the myth that it's easy managing the top teams but it appears not.

Oh and about Guardiola not going out and coaching, remind me what he did with the likes of pique, Messi, Busquets, Pedro,  Alaba, Kimmich, Dani Alves, Yaya Toure, Thiago, Coman, Douglas Costa, Seydou Keita. I'm sorry but he has coached many players and turned them into the players they are today but it appears that you're being bias against him and refusing to acknowledge this.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Because there are simply no cheap good players out there with potential due to inflation in the premier league and who would you drop for them? Pep can't wave his magic wand and require them to be to the standard he needs overnight, coaching takes a long, long time so the young players need to already be at a good standard. The good young players out there cost huge amounts like Mbappe potentially going to Real Madrid for 160 million. Guardiola's feats with Barca B far outweighs either of their achievements. In many ways, it's much easier being a coach at a smaller club because there is far less pressure. There's a reason why none of the top clubs have gone for allardyce or Howe yet. Would have thought that David Moyes' shocker at Man Utd would have dispelled the myth that it's easy managing the top teams but it appears not.

Oh and about Guardiola not going out and coaching, remind me what he did with the likes of pique, Messi, Busquets, Pedro,  Alaba, Kimmich, Dani Alves, Yaya Toure, Thiago, Coman, Douglas Costa, Seydou Keita. I'm sorry but he has coached many players and turned them into the players they are today but it appears that you're being bias against him and refusing to acknowledge this.

His achievements with Barcelona B outweigh taking a team that were hours from extinction, and didn't even have their own ground, from League 3 to the Premier League? How so? 

I'm not refusing to acknowledge it all, already said his achievements are very good.

No bias against him, have no reason to. He himself has admitted that he thought managing in the Premier League would be much easier, that to me indicates he has maybe had a bit of an easier ride where he has been before.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

His achievements with Barcelona B outweigh taking a team that were hours from extinction, and didn't even have their own ground, from League 3 to the Premier League? How so? 

I'm not refusing to acknowledge it all, already said his achievements are very good.

No bias against him, have no reason to. He himself has admitted that he thought managing in the Premier League would be much easier, that to me indicates he has maybe had a bit of an easier ride where he has been before.

Why do you always seem to criticise Guardiola then and not someone like Ferguson? I don't think Pep's the best in the world but it's laughable when people in England don't seem to acknowledge that he is one of the best, it appears to be the little Englanders mentality. On Barca B it's just my opinion but my reasoning is that he reformed the whole structure of the club that had lost its identity since the cruiyff era. Much harder to do in my opinion at a club of that size and so quickly too. I'm not discrediting Howe's achievements but he had a lot longer to influence the club, aided of course by breaking ffp regulations. It's just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Why do you always seem to criticise Guardiola then and not someone like Ferguson? I don't think Pep's the best in the world but it's laughable when people in England don't seem to acknowledge that he is one of the best, it appears to be the little Englanders mentality. On Barca B it's just my opinion but my reasoning is that he reformed the whole structure of the club that had lost its identity since the cruiyff era. Much harder to do in my opinion at a club of that size and so quickly too. I'm not discrediting Howe's achievements but he had a lot longer to influence the club, aided of course by breaking ffp regulations. It's just my opinion.

Ferguson started out at Aberdeen and took over a Man United team that were pretty poor.

It took him a while to build the club up and probably his best team there was made up of academy products and cheap foreign imports, I would actually say that his big money signings on the whole were very hit and miss.

Let's be honest Barcelona at no point during our lifetime have been in a really bad state, what is their lowest league position in the last 30 years?

People keep going on about Howe and FFP, as I previously said, the whole squad probably cost less than Kyle Walker and the wage bill was probably equivalent to 2 Man City players.

I would argue that given a budget of £200m for a new defence even Arsene Wenger would be winning the Premier League this season.

Archived