Will Hughes looks back on 16/17

Day

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sounds like "See you later Will" I'm afraid.

Depends what he and GR have to talk about! It's not easy to talk about failing to live up to your own standards, so it was never going to be a jolly interview.

He also admitted that he's struggled to adapt to playing under different managers in such a short time frame. Is anyone really convinced that this approach to managerial appointments will change in the near future?

He articulated it well, a player of Will Hughes standard should be able to adjust to any style of play that didn't involve the ball flying over their heads continually (I really don't want to see that style ever!!).

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

He also admitted that he's struggled to adapt to playing under different managers in such a short time frame. Is anyone really convinced that this approach to managerial appointments will change in the near future?

Yep!

If he does go, I don't think it'll be because he throws his toys out the pram, he's not that sort of player.  

If the club accepts a good offer he'll go.  If not, he's smart enough to listen to what GR says in pre-season and do what he can to earn the right to play...

52 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sounds like "See you later Will" I'm afraid.

Really not sure how you have deduced this from that interview?

Not saying you're wrong but didn't hear anything he said that would point me in the direction of that conclusion.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really not sure how you have deduced this from that interview?

Not saying you're wrong but didn't hear anything he said that would point me in the direction of that conclusion.

I suppose its me thinking he hasn't featured much under Rowett perhaps inferring GR may have been looking at options without him. This coupled with his comment about having to come to terms with different styles of play from different managers. 

I rate Will very very highly but I wonder if he has the power/pace that Rowett has referred to and I think prefers. I'm probably adding two + two and getting 5.

16 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I suppose its me thinking he hasn't featured much under Rowett perhaps inferring GR may have been looking at options without him. This coupled with his comment about having to come to terms with different styles of play from different managers. 

I rate Will very very highly but I wonder if he has the power/pace that Rowett has referred to and I think prefers. I'm probably adding two + two and getting 5.

I could see Hughes in the Mooy role at Huddersfield (and Thorne in the Hogg role). They're pacey, powerful and press but still look to dominate games with a footballing midfielders. Rowett's also stated he admired Klopp's Dortmund… who Hudds emulate. 

I can see how he'd fit. I just hope Rowett can as well.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I could see Hughes in the Mooy role at Huddersfield (and Thorne in the Hogg role). They're pacey, powerful and press but still look to dominate games with a footballing midfielders. Rowett's also stated he admired Klopp's Dortmund… who Hudds emulate. 

I can see how he'd fit. I just hope Rowett can as well.

Sounds good. Sure you're not just trying to cheer me up?

To have a settled manager will give all the players more time to adapt to the way he wants them to play. Rather than shipping out a manager every couple of months. It must get confusing for the players.

Well he has signed a new contract so if he does go we are in a good position to get a good fee for him ,, to me he came across as feeling very flat with his football and perhaps the way the team has not kicked on since Wembley loss to qpr , just speculation but my gut feeling is that he is at a point where managers are demanding more from him to compliment his undoubted (for me) natural talent and that's caused some friction and perhaps the kind of stand off of knuckle down or you don't get picked ,,, thing is he is a young lad and probably needs the right mix of arm around him and kick up the ass from a manager ,, I do hope rowett is the right man for that and gets will back to the point of being first name on the team sheet but if rowett is not inclined to work too hard on a single player then maybe he will have to be sacrificed for the good of the team and will himself ,,,,, don't read too much into things just yet though ,,, it's been a very disappointing/draining couple of seasons ,things may be very different after a summer break and a pre season with the right mix of lightheartedness and sheer hard work ,I think rowett might just be good at striking that balance and we may see a lot of our players ambition and spirit rekindled 

Despite him not featuring recently I don't see it as a sign of him leaving.

Hughes has been poor since January, not just poor but a shadow of himself, picked up an injury v Leicester I seem to remember and wasn't the same again. 

I think Rowett is using him as an example that even Hughes who is widely regarded as our best player has to earn the shirt which he hasn't, also giving him some time out to watch from the sidelines, hear and see what Rowett wants.

Now you can easily argue neither have the rest but maybe Rowett was giving those players a chance to prove themselves. 

Theory that can be torn to pieces but it's one I'm sticking to hoping he will be here past September 1st.

I don't think Hughes starts in Rowett's first 11 next year unless he had a storming pre-season where he scores goals and/or gets assists.  I really like Hughes but Rowett is not a fan of the Hughes / possession style. He wants it forward early,  Rowett has made comments that Bryson and Johnson are ahead of him because they offer a goal threat.

I think Hughes may go, sadly.

Said this before but he's surrounded by unmotivated dross. As usual he's honest with himself and us unlike many others (except for Ince) who would admit their 'failure' so openly. He's still our best and most inspiring player after GT.

Archived