Aden Flint

Fraser_23

I think we just need to trust Gary Rowett to do the right thing. He will move on the players he deems necessary and bring in what he needs. That could mean Keogh, it could not.

Personally I agree with the positive comments above on Keogh the player. He's been a good player for us and could continue to be. However for me if he does stay he shouldn't be captain. Yes he's brave, yes he's willing to put his body on the line, yes he's willing to try and make things happen when the midfield is hiding, but he's a flapper. When we're under the cosh he loses his head and starts ranting and bawling at players, which creates a bit of panic.

Genuinely think Keogh and a fully fit Shackell could be just the ticket next year, as for Captain either we bring someone in or give it Thorne, issue there is how many games will he play?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think we just need to trust Gary Rowett to do the right thing. He will move on the players he deems necessary and bring in what he needs. That could mean Keogh, it could not.

Personally I agree with the positive comments above on Keogh the player. He's been a good player for us and could continue to be. However for me if he does stay he shouldn't be captain. Yes he's brave, yes he's willing to put his body on the line, yes he's willing to try and make things happen when the midfield is hiding, but he's a flapper. When we're under the cosh he loses his head and starts ranting and bawling at players, which creates a bit of panic.

Genuinely think Keogh and a fully fit Shackell could be just the ticket next year, as for Captain either we bring someone in or give it Thorne, issue there is how many games will he play?

The whole captaincy issue is so overrated. Keogh doesn't play worse when he has the armband, he plays worse when his defensive partner's form drops or when the defence is constantly being chopped and changed. It's the same for every defender in the country.

Besides, being captain doesn't really mean that much. All they really do i lead the team out, take photos with the kids and speak to the press more often than the other players. Doesn't stop other players from leading on the pitch. Someone rightly pointed out that we have loads of captains in our squad; Pearce (Reading), Bryson (Kilmarnock), Shackell (Burnley), Johnson (Norwich), Baird (Fulham/West Brom I think). Them not having the armband shouldn't stop them exerting their influence. 

10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

The whole captaincy issue is so overrated. Keogh doesn't play worse when he has the armband, he plays worse when his defensive partner's form drops or when the defence is constantly being chopped and changed. It's the same for every defender in the country.

Besides, being captain doesn't really mean that much. All they really do i lead the team out, take photos with the kids and speak to the press more often than the other players. Doesn't stop other players from leading on the pitch. Someone rightly pointed out that we have loads of captains in our squad; Pearce (Reading), Bryson (Kilmarnock), Shackell (Burnley), Johnson (Norwich), Baird (Fulham/West Brom I think). Them not having the armband shouldn't stop them exerting their influence. 

Too many Chiefs not enough Indians ?

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Maybe be us fans are reading things wrong ,,, maybe rather than a lack of captains/ leaders , maybe we have too many chiefs and not enough Indians ? Could it be we have lots of players thinking they know best and are ignoring each other and thinking ,who the hell is he to be to be giving instructions,,I'm the on pitch natural leader ,, it's a thought?

23 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Too many Chiefs not enough Indians ?

18 minutes ago, archied said:

Maybe be us fans are reading things wrong ,,, maybe rather than a lack of captains/ leaders , maybe we have too many chiefs and not enough Indians ? Could it be we have lots of players thinking they know best and are ignoring each other and thinking ,who the hell is he to be to be giving instructions,,I'm the on pitch natural leader ,, it's a thought?

I did think it when I was writing it. It's an interesting thought. 

Think Keogh needs a strong dominant defender and captain to play alongside. His best form was under Clement when he didn't have the captaincy. However, he is one of the few senior pros we have who try to lead, @PodgeyRam is absolutely right, we've signed lots of players who were captains at their previous clubs who in key games have been conspicuous by their absence 

Keogh needs someone of equal ability next to him and a RB that doesn't disappear half the time. Too often he's the last line of defence when all around have completely ****** up. Then he gets blamed if he doesn't save the day.

On 13/05/2017 at 07:18, BramcoteRam84 said:

We were under the cosh for pretty much the entirety of the winning run and we broke a clean-sheet record… 

Again; it all went wrong when we started trying to boss the game and Pearce began getting slaughtered in a high-line. 

Was watching the Wednesday v Huddersfield game yesterday and the commentator mentioned something interesting. Wagner's transfer policy was to sign ready made winners, regardless of the level they play at, due to the obvious habit of winning. For example, they signed Helefe from a division 3 German side (just been promotion to the 2nd division), who has been absolutely fantastic for them. 

Interesting way to look at things. We've signed players recently who have been performing well for sides who have struggled. Flint fits in that boat. Interesting way to look at things 

Flinty is a great lad, one hundred percenter and a Winner in a team wo don't too often. He has his limitations and would be better alongside a better reader of the game with a bit of pace. Keogh would fit the bill other than they both prefer the right if I remember correctly from when Keogh was with us as a young un

On 2017-5-13 at 20:41, archied said:

Chiefs ,indians ? and not enough footballers

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I'd love Flint here. But with Villa and Wednesday both being linked with him, I highly doubt we'll get him. 

I think a lot of people are overly influenced by the number of goals he scores for a central defender....

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think a lot of people are overly influenced by the number of goals he scores for a central defender....

Agreed.

And I am almost certainly one of them people. I think he has good potential however with the right players around him. 

Archived