Aden Flint

Fraser_23

17 hours ago, eddie said:

Given the choice between Jake Buxton and Jason shackell, I know which one I would have let go to Wigan.

Part of the 7th best defence in the league this year and always scored a few from set pieces. Given a choice between Buxton (presumably for a nominal fee) and Flint at £5 million I know I who I would sign.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, eddie said:

Given the choice between Jake Buxton and Jason shackell, I know which one I would have let go to Wigan.

And that's why a career in football management never worked out for you, Eddie!

11 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Can he head corners away if so then we may well be 10 points better off not to mention scoring a few for us as well

Why is it always the CBs that get the stick from not defending corners and long throws? What's Our player of the season doing? 

I think we have a natural upgrade to Pearce already here in shackell. With fozzy back and hopefully a new RB the CBs won't have to deal with the amount of crosses they currently do

I was on holiday for that game so this is the 1st time ive seen the goals.

He was caught out by Bents movement for the 1st goal and ball watching for Inces goal.

Bang average. Would prefer Elphick, Hanley, Bartley or Roberts tbh

6 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why is it always the CBs that get the stick from not defending corners and long throws? What's Our player of the season doing? 

I think we have a natural upgrade to Pearce already here in shackell. With fozzy back and hopefully a new RB the CBs won't have to deal with the amount of crosses they currently do

No arguments from me on those points

On 08/05/2017 at 08:09, Gaspode said:

I'd consider keeping Keogh - on the proviso that he's not the captain (ever again!):

1. We need a better captain (someone that can inspire, cajole, bully the rest of the team when necessary)
  2. The captaincy clearly weighs on Keogh's shoulders and sometimes that makes him try too hard - take the captaincy off him and let him get on with the business of defending....

As for Shackell, he was a good defender when we sold him to Burnley and he was a decent player for them in the PL - but frankly he's hardly done anything since he came back to suggest he can hit those heights again - to me he looks like a player who's got his big pay day and is happy to cruise through the rest of his contract with minimum effort and even less desire - plus I'm sceptical about his attitude and impact on the dressing room....

The whole Keogh captain thing is a load *****. How would a better captain solve our issues with having a unbalanced squad? How would somebody "cajoling" the team turn results around when we've got Bryson at holding midfield, Butters wide right and Christie not being on the same wave-length as Ince? Would a different captain alter the fact that (former Championship winning captain) Pearce is awful in a high-line? Keogh hasn't really been mistake prone since he had Clement coach him. I can barely think of any mistakes this season. It's such a non-issue. 

And in what way has Shacks looked like he's here for the payday? He's barely played this season. Last season he was immaculate but for his ball-playing… which we knew from his first spell anyway. He was immense at West Brom when all he had to do was defend his 18 yard-box. He's always, even in his first spell, come across as though football's just a career to him and that's fine. 

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

The whole Keogh captain thing is a load *****. How would a better captain solve our issues with having a unbalanced squad? How would somebody "cajoling" the team turn results around when we've got Bryson at holding midfield, Butters wide right and Christie not being on the same wave-length as Ince? Would a different captain alter the fact that (former Championship winning captain) Pearce is awful in a high-line? Keogh hasn't really been mistake prone since he had Clement coach him. I can barely think of any mistakes this season. It's such a non-issue. 

And in what way has Shacks looked like he's here for the payday? He's barely played this season. Last season he was immaculate but for his ball-playing… which we knew from his first spell anyway. He was immense at West Brom when all he had to do was defend his 18 yard-box. He's always, even in his first spell, come across as though football's just a career to him and that's fine. 

I'd also like to add that we have multiple ex-captains in our squad. We have no shortage of 'leaders'.

Baird, Shackell, Bryson, Bent, Pearce and Carson have all been club captains of teams in their careers. Three of those have been in the back 5 with him most of this season but apparently we need a 'proper leader'.

We have plenty of leaders on the pitch, this squad just looks like it's been built by a paranoid schizophrenic and plays like it's been built by a paranoid schizophrenic. It's got no identity or direction.

AND we're good at the back, had one of the best defences in the championship for two seasons. I just don't understand what more people want out of Keogh. 

Good defender, only CB who can pass the ball out and passionate about the club in a time where people moan about the players not caring.

So I would answer that I have few issues with Keogh the player. I also think whilst Shackell is a good defender, he's not the easiest to play alongside. Both he and Keogh are kings of the interception but you have to have one marking and one committing to the challenge/ intercept, not two.

Our problems are in organising the defence so everyone has each other's back. I think in that respect we look a little shaky. Often it's Baird who does the shouting.

Keogh plays with his heart and I love that. I just think his defensive partner should be a big character like Roberts from Barnsley who dominates in every sense of the word. 

Not Keogh bashing, just suggesting areas of improvement. Having Forsyth back will help.

1 hour ago, CumbrianRam said:

Shackell is the first out of the door as I am concerned, Mostyn and sage were correct

I agree. Shackell inspired us all when he came in but Dyche basically said he's going for the money - his chance at the good life - great lifestyle funded by dcfc. Oft hurt, i get the impression he thrives as leader - and Clement nixed that by naming a fringe player as skipper. Time is up. That said and although I like all three centre halves actually they just don't got that special something we need : the other two should leave too. 

I would keep shackell, the best defender and organiser we have At the club. I think when Rowett says "some of these players have been here a long time" I think he means Keogh. As much as I like the man, and his desire , i tend to agree with rowett, time to move on. I might be wrong in my assumption but its obvious he means some of the nearly men, Russell, Bryson maybe even Hughes. Ive got a feeling we won't be seeing keogh next season. 

18 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

I would keep shackell, the best defender and organiser we have At the club. I think when Rowett says "some of these players have been here a long time" I think he means Keogh. As much as I like the man, and his desire , i tend to agree with rowett, time to move on. I might be wrong in my assumption but its obvious he means some of the nearly men, Russell, Bryson maybe even Hughes. Ive got a feeling we won't be seeing keogh next season. 

Why do you think Rowett means Keogh when making the comment about players having been here a long time (and by inference meaning they could be on their way out)?. 

How can you agree with Rowett when you haven't a clue who he was referring to? You can't agree with someone when you've no idea what they're thinking!

I would put money on Keogh still being here come August.

Archived