Players playing for their futures

ReyDCFC

I think most of the players who have been starting are probably going to be OK - think he likes the triers like Russell Bryson Johnson Nuge etc, but from his post Huddersfield comments I'm not sure too many have really forced his thinking - apart from a couple of marginals he probably knows who he wants to go - as long as it's in the interests of the club I.E. Sell Ince for £12m but not for £6m. Not "I want X out because they stood up to me"

FWIW I think he'll sell Ince and I think Hughes has been in his marginal category - probably thought yes skilful but not enough effect on games but now he's seen a bit more of him he's coming round to what he does do. Still think he'd sell Hughes for the right price.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, feisty said:

I'm a little disappointed that GR didn't experiment with players in the last game and, from his comments today, appears not to be experimenting in this game either. Was hoping he'd give players like Bennett, Elsnik etc a go once we couldn't make play-offs

At 36 quid a ticket, sod that.

11 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Derby havent been a selling club for years.
If they had performed like our best players consistantly we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I fully expect Rowett to buy good players to help balance the team.

So thats 3 points your talking $hite on.

We've bought mediocre players for the last couple of seasons. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. Never said we were a selling club. Ince and Hughes are our 2 best players. Nothing else to say really as your points are rubbish and in fact it's you talking *****! End of conversation.

20 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

We've bought mediocre players for the last couple of seasons. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. Never said we were a selling club. Ince and Hughes are our 2 best players. Nothing else to say really as your points are rubbish and in fact it's you talking *****! End of conversation.

If I may continue your conversation.

The fact we have bought such mediocre players is something that needed sorting, which is why, I believe, Rowett has chosen to take care of his own recruitment, so he can get the right players for what he is trying to do. So hopefully we won't be looking silly with signings like Blackman and Albentosa going forward.

I would be very happy to keep both Ince and Hughes at the same time as buying the extra quality we need, both players could be immense under Rowett, especially with Martin, Thorne and Fozzy back.

But if we were to sell both players for a premium, I trust Rowett to spend the cash wisely.

12 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Now let's look at Hughes.   At 17 a bright prospect.  At 18 an excellent player, 19 also. Move on and after injury he looks decidedly average.  Maybe he has peaked or lost a little confidence.  I like the lad but let's face it most of you are living in the past. Something needs to change. Either GR sees something and develops him or we accept he really isn't the player we thought he might be. Sorry just my opinion and happy to be shot down

And yet at (just) 22 he is picked for England U21s and is given the captains armband.

It's always a nice occasion when you captain your country at any level but he didn't even get on the pitch in the telling of the two friendlies, the week before against Germany. 

It'll be interesting this summer to see if he is one of the first choice midfielders, ahead of the likes of Chalobah, Winks, Swift and Loftus-Cheek. 

14 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Derby havent been a selling club for years.
If they had performed like our best players consistantly we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I fully expect Rowett to buy good players to help balance the team.

So thats 3 points your talking $hite on.

They have been our best players pretty consistently - mostly because the rest of the squad sets the bar pretty low, but it still counts.

However if the right offers were made (£12 mill or above) I wouldn't mind seeing them go - if nothing else it would hopefully allow Will to progress to the next stage.

I suspect one or two of the current starting line up will go.

He probably wants to see them over a number of games to make sure.

I think Will is being protected ready for sale

Ince could well go too.

A team with two stars is easier to play against than a team that knows each other and is prepared to fight for and support each other.

I am not saying either player is guilty in that respect, just that GR must find that blend

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I suspect one or two of the current starting line up will go.

He probably wants to see them over a number of games to make sure.

I think Will is being protected ready for sale

Ince could well go too.

A team with two stars is easier to play against than a team that knows each other and is prepared to fight for and support each other.

I am not saying either player is guilty in that respect, just that GR must find that blend

I fear your probably right here , especially regarding Will.

22 hours ago, feisty said:

I'm a little disappointed that GR didn't experiment with players in the last game and, from his comments today, appears not to be experimenting in this game either. Was hoping he'd give players like Bennett, Elsnik etc a go once we couldn't make play-offs

It's OK to say let's experiment . But with who ? Give the youngsters a try ? Who ? Bennett offers little and hasn't progressed at the rate he perhaps promised. Only ones in the unders that impressed me were Stabanna and Zanzala and the latter has been out all season . 

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

It's OK to say let's experiment . But with who ? Give the youngsters a try ? Who ? Bennett offers little and hasn't progressed at the rate he perhaps promised. Only ones in the unders that impressed me were Stabanna and Zanzala and the latter has been out all season . 

Alex Cover impressed me. 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When he signed his new contract didn't he say, currently he'd rather be playing at this level than warming the bench at a Prem club?

Who says he'd be warming the bench ? Lower end premier league might suit him more that the knit and grit of the championship. Look how Hendrick has come on since he left here .

None of them are playing for their futures other than Bent and Baird. The rest can chose if they want to go or not. They are tied down on massive money, who is going to make them go anywhere. The moment we became one of those clubs to start throwing money at players is the moment that the 'Derby way' was lost

11 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

None of them are playing for their futures other than Bent and Baird. The rest can chose if they want to go or not. They are tied down on massive money, who is going to make them go anywhere. The moment we became one of those clubs to start throwing money at players is the moment that the 'Derby way' was lost

Christie out of contract in the summer as well. Think next weekend will be the last time we see him in a Derby shirt after recent performances. 

Archived