Players playing for their futures

ReyDCFC

I say good riddance to some of these players as they've had long enough. That said I just wish that in the Wembley season we had bought wisdom and bamford because the money we have spent since has been a waste. We needed them two and a Eustace replacement and we would have gone up. However since then we just went out and bought a load of individual talent, resulting in a non cohesive team. What a waste ! Roll on summer holidays 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also agree with @EastHertsRam - but it's because I don't find I can buy into the belief that Rowett will automatically get it all good again (even given time). I don't understand where this confidence comes from - why would GR be such a better coach and man manager than all the rest of our managers over the last 3 years? What leads us to believe this? Without this confidence the season we've just had really is a bit depressing!

i may be on my own here , but im really looking forward to the summer , who goes who stays Gary will decide , some of his descisions may not be popular , but im convinced Gary will sort this out and this time next season play offs at least will be beckoning

21 minutes ago, Brighton Ram said:

I also agree with @EastHertsRam - but it's because I don't find I can buy into the belief that Rowett will automatically get it all good again (even given time). I don't understand where this confidence comes from - why would GR be such a better coach and man manager than all the rest of our managers over the last 3 years? What leads us to believe this? Without this confidence the season we've just had really is a bit depressing!

Goodness me you are depressing 

There is not one player currently on the playing staff I would be upset about seeing leave. I think Carson, Nugent, a fit and dependable George Thorne I'd like to keep... The rest, meh, Nowt in my heart for them really. If they stay and Rowett turns them into better and more able to be a top 6 team then fine,,, but if he sells most of them I'm not fussed... 

Been a far too average season this one. 

57 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

This morning I just feel Rowett has the problem of teaching old dogs new tricks as far as our defence is concerned and he'd be better off starting from scratch with new personal. 

I agree, and what MrsRam put on the Wardrobe Watch had me thinking. We're being sad over the end of an era too late. We should have been sad when Clement came in but we thought he'd just tweak things and we'd go again. That was a big misunderstanding and I think that was when the 'era' ended. So I feel better now realising that we have to start again.

Rowett will be allowed time and hopefully Mel will back him financially if he wants to get rid of his deadwood players, whoever he sees those as - or to be kinder getting rid of the ones that no longer fit 'the plan'.

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

There is not one player currently on the playing staff I would be upset about seeing leave. I think Carson, Nugent, a fit and dependable George Thorne I'd like to keep... The rest, meh, Nowt in my heart for them really. If they stay and Rowett turns them into better and more able to be a top 6 team then fine,,, but if he sells most of them I'm not fussed... 

Been a far too average season this one. 

Do you think Thorne will be the player he was mate after all these injuries.

Lets hope so. 

Wholesale rebuilds rarely produce instant results.

in fact i'm struggling to think of any time that they have.

lots of transfer activity usually makes it worse - e.g. the doc and paul jewell, 

jim smiths rebuild was fairly flat until igor arrived.

arthur cox took a year to start turning things around.

the dwarf probably had the greatest short term impact,

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Wholesale rebuilds rarely produce instant results.

in fact i'm struggling to think of any time that they have.

lots of transfer activity usually makes it worse - e.g. the doc and paul jewell, 

arthur cox took a year to start turning things around.

Lets all get depressed .

Moan moan moan 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Lets all get depressed .

Moan moan moan 

Its not an moan. Its an observation. Or a fact.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Do you think Thorne will be the player he was mate after all these injuries.

Lets hope so. 

Let's hope so mate. He was fantastic for us in the glimpses and short amount of time we have had him on the pitch. The sort of player ( Eustace too) we need I feel in the current crop. 

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its not an moan. Its an observation. Or a fact.

It's a pretty crap observation as Igor Stimac was signed early by Jim Smith and he scored a goal against Tranmere away but we lost 5-1 and then we all know what happened. 

Pride Park and the Premier League  

Cox got us promoted from 3rd Division to 1st very quickly.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's a pretty crap observation as Igor Stimac was signed early by Jim Smith and he scored a goal against Tranmere away but we lost 5-1 and then we all know what happened. .

Cox got us promoted from 3rd Division to 1st very quickly.

Early? His debut was in november and we were 17th in the league.

if we are 17th in the league in november next season you'll probably be wetting yourself.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Early? His debut was in november and we were 17th in the league.

if we are 17th in the league in november next season you'll probably be wetting yourself.

Exactly you are contradicting yourself as you well know it was Jim Smiths  first season that he got us promoted to the Premier League right so it wasn't just about Igor was it  as other players contributed 

Did you forget Billy Davis because he got us there as well after changing a few players. 

Rowett might need longer but we need changes in August .

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Exactly you are contradicting yourself as you well know it was Jim Smiths  first season that he got us promoted to the Premier League right. 

Did you forget Billy Davis because he got us there as well after changing a few players. 

Rowett might need longer but we need changes in August .

I'm not contradicting myself at all. 

I said 

Igor made a phenomenal difference.

and billy davies had the greatest short term impact. However even under billy we were 23rd after 6 games.

worth remembering.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm not contradicting myself at all. 

I said 

Igor made a phenomenal difference.

and billy davies had the greatest short term impact. However even under billy we were 23rd after 6 games.

worth remembering.

Of course Igor made a difference he was an amazing player and leader even though he couldn't get the hang of driving in England straight away lol. 

Point is though Jim Smith signed the likes of Willems ,Van der Laan and D Powell football genius etc. 

He also had players he inherited like Sturridge  who played alongside his signings like Ashley  Ward upfront. 

Can you name Jim Smiths team that played Crystal Palace when we clinched promotion 

Player of the season Dean Yates didn't play. 

1 minute ago, coneheadjohn said:

Robbie Van Der Laan from 96/97 would be a very welcome addition for next season.

Gary Rowett also lol. 

He has been there done that 

They were both big contributors to promotion to the Premier League for Jim Smith. 

Archived