We take football to new levels of boring!

SWRam

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gaspode said:

You would think so, but this basic group of players have been together for a while now - we've had numerous managers try to get the best from them, but they have a soft under-belly and crumble (repeatedly) when things don't go for them.

We all said before this season started that they needed some steel and that 'Sergeant-Major' Pearson would bring that - he couldn't get them to perform; we've had Mac back and sure, there was a lift when he first came back, but even then we were fragile - now they've shown again under Rowett that they don't seem to have the stomach for a fight....it suggests there is an underlying issue in the group as a whole - lots of talk of great team spirit when they're off the field, but made of glass when the pressure of playing competitively comes to the fore. 

You'd hope that the addition of a couple of warriors and a proper leader could turn it around, but it seems that there is something more fundamental wrong with the squad - a 'bit of pruning' may not be enough.....

There are only three survivors from Wembley that have started regularly this season, another featuring mainly from the bench and a couple who have spent just over 300 minutes on the pitch between them. 

We haven't been promoted for footballing reasons and nothing else.

Injuries, ****-recruitment taking us backwards and managers with vastly different views on football getting total backing for three months or so.

It all went tits up under McClaren because he tried to get our squad playing possession football again and the mutilation that the Wembley squad suffered had resulted in us being unable to break teams down. 

We need a clear out but I just don't buy the mental weakness argument. This team wants round pegs in round holes in a balanced system. Leaders won't sort out the fact we have too many players who expect ball-to-feet or that we have half a squad suited to sponging then breaking and another half suited to controlling and breaking down. 

4 hours ago, cannable said:

We need a clear out but I just don't buy the mental weakness argument. This team wants round pegs in round holes in a balanced system. Leaders won't sort out the fact we have too many players who expect ball-to-feet or that we have half a squad suited to sponging then breaking and another half suited to controlling and breaking down. 

Take it you missed the Cardiff home game then.

6 hours ago, cannable said:

There are only three survivors from Wembley that have started regularly this season, another featuring mainly from the bench and a couple who have spent just over 300 minutes on the pitch between them. 

We haven't been promoted for footballing reasons and nothing else.

Injuries, ****-recruitment taking us backwards and managers with vastly different views on football getting total backing for three months or so.

It all went tits up under McClaren because he tried to get our squad playing possession football again and the mutilation that the Wembley squad suffered had resulted in us being unable to break teams down. 

Watch a recording of the game on Monday and look at the body language of our players in the aftermath of the Huddersfield goal - there was a collective sigh as shoulders slumped and they trudged back to their positions - no-one (and most specifically not our captain, who simply wandered forward shaking his head) urging them to get fired up and get going - no positivity, no urgency, nothing...it was only the fact that Huddersfield for some reason chose to then sit back rather than press their advantage that stopped us getting absolutely mullered....and this was after one of the most embarrassing performances of the season away at Brentford where we again completely capitulated after they scored their second goal. 

The consistent failures over the past couple of years are certainly a result of strange selections, managerial changes, poor recruitment and the other things you mentioned, but it's evident there is a collective weak mentality amongst the squad - we now have a group of players used to losing rather than winning - addressing that is as big an issue for Rowett as deciding on a system and recruiting players so that we can fit round pegs into round holes.....

26 minutes ago, toddy said:

Whatever fans may like to think are the causes of our seasons past and present since 2013/14 - one thing is for sure we are not good enough as a team or squad to fight for promotion.

But we will be toddy, we will! #trustingary

Agree with the original post. 

I'd guess that if GR gets his way there'll be a dozen out this summer. Not easy to achieve though.

I find it alarming that some fans get irate at the mention of some players being sold. I wouldn't complain if Ince or Hughes were sold, really like them both and in our current situation the sale of them two at the right price could transform us.

Nothing other than balance of the team makes me say that. Obviously we would look to certainly keep Hughes but personally I feel like he should move on for his own good now

47 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Nothing other than balance of the team makes me say that. Obviously we would look to certainly keep Hughes but personally I feel like he should move on for his own good now

Why?

He's a young player, who's played lots of games already, recovered from a serious injury, just, with lots of talent. Why wouldn't it be better for him to stay here and run our midfield?

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

Take it you missed the Cardiff home game then.

A leader wouldn't solve Alex Pearce getting absoloutely murdered because of our high line and Keogh losing his duels against a 6"5 beast… BJ screening Zahore may well have prevented two of the goals.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why?

He's a young player, who's played lots of games already, recovered from a serious injury, just, with lots of talent. Why wouldn't it be better for him to stay here and run our midfield?

Possibly he would excel by playing with better players around him.

On 17/04/2017 at 18:48, SWRam said:

Title says it all really.

Complete clearout needed!

Is the first 'Boo Rowett Out' - or just the first cuckoo - of the summer?

7 minutes ago, toddy said:

GR has not been here long enough for the boo's to start  - you'll have top wait till August.

I think you're giving the boo boys too much credit :D

If Sheff W beat us, I think you'll start to see/hear it. 

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Watch a recording of the game on Monday and look at the body language of our players in the aftermath of the Huddersfield goal - there was a collective sigh as shoulders slumped and they trudged back to their positions - no-one (and most specifically not our captain, who simply wandered forward shaking his head) urging them to get fired up and get going - no positivity, no urgency, nothing..

I suggest you watch it again because I definitely saw with my own eyes that Keogh tried to fire people up. Johnson and Pearce also had a sizable row which suggests a great deal of passion

On 17.4.2017 at 21:08, philmycock said:

Just getting rid of Bent will be the best thing Rowett can do this summer. 

Its been said in his interviews we need pace and power in that position. Bent is neither these days. At least Nugent is a workhorse and can hold it up as well as make those runs. A step in the right direction, Martin is coming back and I think will be utilised. bent in his youth was a top player, but cant be arsed anymore, and even in his hey day wasnt quite the player we need right now.

12 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Perhaps because there is not much positive to post about?

The OP didnt post anything positive when we win though. 

Archived