Paul Clement

J4cka

Swans fan here. 

After a promising start, a Premiership  MOTM award. 

It's all gone very Pete Tong with PC. 

I have to say in his defence,our lack of buying premiership class players, in the summer transfer window, has done us zero favours, and has left us threadbare, when we sustain a few injuries.  

However, his lack of tactical awareness, against different systems, seems to be a problem, with his substitutions, also mystifying. 

Also our passing style, is now almost non existent. 

Personally, I thought his appointment, was made with one eye on The Championship, should Pete Tong raise his head again. 

He started well with you, and then went downhill. 

There were various rumours, at the time of his sacking. 

Would you mind giving your thoughts, on a future with Paul Clement as manager?

All the best for the future, and used to be a big Derby fan in my youth. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, J4cka said:

Swans fan here. 

I have to say in his defence,our lack of buying premiership class players, in the summer transfer window, has done us zero favours, and has left us threadbare, when we sustain a few injuries.  

However, his lack of tactical awareness, against different systems, seems to be a problem, with his substitutions, also mystifying. 

Personally, I thought his appointment, was made with one eye on The Championship, should Pete Tong raise his head again. 

Thing is, I'm not sure too many of us can provide too much insight. With the time we had him, I'm not overly sure he had much to any say on the signings we made, many were before him, and some straight after he signed so it can reasonably be said that he didn't choose the players. Whilst at Derby it could be said his footballing philosophy was 'keep the ball and wait till someone creates some magic' now, at the other clubs he coached at (the Madrids and Bayerns of the world) that is a viable strategy, but with a club the size of Derby and Swansea we don't have the players capable of unlocking the door consistently. 

There is a lot of speculation as to what happened at Derby with Clement, and in truth none of us know, and it's basically all speculation. What I can say, is I think we were fortunate to be near the top after the start we had with him, we were never convincing and got rather lucky in a fair few games. To me, I'd judge it as his luck ran out and this caused the kind of glow around us winning without ever really playing well to disappear. 

I seem to remember at Derby he wasn't overly willing to make an early change or a risk, he seemed to like sticking with players until the latter parts of game, which I found quite frustrating.

I imagine with the passing style that he has adjudged Swansea's best chances of staying up by playing long ball to Llorente? I've not watched much of Swansea, so I can't be certain, but that's what I'd assume, he did try to keep the ball on the floor and play football with Derby, wasn't very exciting football mind.

Ultimately, I think there is room for growth with Clement given time to bring in his own players. I think what Clement needs is to have his own players onboard, since he never really had that at Derby or yet at Swansea, I'd imagine he would be able to get you playing a much more entertaining brand of football with some of his own recruits, or at least wouldn't have any excuses.

Best of luck to Swansea, hope you guys stay up.

7 minutes ago, J4cka said:

Swans fan here. 

He has got to be better than your last manager. You made a mistake with Monk though... 

Just give him time and don't let him get rid of the players gym... By the way do you want Nick Blackman? 

PC ran out of ideas here and never looked like turning it around, that's why he got sacked. As soon as individual players stopped doing special things to win games his baseline team strategy always fell short. He's used to Bayern and Real who have players that can win games with a piece of magic every match. Doesn't work with the Derbys and Swanseas of the footballing world.

Think he'll get there eventually with you, seems to understand the game well but was ultimately too rigid in his way to succeed here, much like mcclaren. That being said from what I've been told non footballing reasons also played a part, but I won't divulge into that as I can't be certain

We're not really qualified to give you a good opinion on him, he didn't give a shiny red **** about managing in the Championship. We were a stepping stone for him. Hope he's learned his lesson and he stays with you next season

It has to be hard for Clement. I mean he´s evidently a really talented coach, but training the likes of Ronaldo, Ramos, Modric and Bale is far different to players vastly below their level.

It seemed while he was here at Derby that he shaped us similarly to how he coached at Madrid. Possession was absoloutely key, while team-shape off the ball was also vitally important.

The big difference is at elite level he was working with players who naturally had amazing technique, awareness, positional sense and decision-making. At Derby and Swansea it's a completely different ball game.

It's why we spent so much time passing sideways and backwards. We don't have the players who can pick their head up and spray 50-yard passes to feet in an instance. We didn't have players who could literally create space or a scoring chance out of nothing.

I imagine it's the same at Swansea. Just a bunch of players caught in two minds waiting for something to happen as they don't have the ability to go out and perform it themselves.

Trying to play out-play the opposition with fancy football when you're in a relegation scrap is admirable but fool hardy.

you need tony pulis style pragmatism.

you need to give him time.

something we don't do.

1 hour ago, J4cka said:

Swans fan here. 

Welcome. All I can say about Clement is that I thought the longer he was in charge the more boring our football got. It got to a point where I didn't get excited about a win because I didn't feel we played well. We certainly didn't play exciting good football.

I don't like him. Too smooth by half and nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is.

As has been said, doesn't seem to understand that coaching world class players at global circus clubs is one thing, and managing a team of decent but unexceptional pro's is quite another. 

He'll learn quick or he'll disappear back to coaching. My money is on the latter.

Archived