Hughesy

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In what sense? There's centre backs in this division with more goals and assists than Hughes this season.

He needs to do more.

Go do the research on our results with Hughes in the side and without him over the past few years - the difference is frankly ridiculous.

17 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

rBoth plausible reasons. I'm just trying to not believe Hughes is being saved for sale.

Could just be GR thought butters might offer the odd long range shot which Hughes doesn't.

Of course, it could be that Butters is being dressed up in the shop window hoping for a little extra interest come bidding time...I doubt it....More likely, it is what it looks like...he is doing what is required to keep the position right now.

Will Hughes' position intrigues me. I have long taken his loyalty to us as a sign of the club's progress; I had started to wonder if, in fact, staying with Derby was beginning to hamper his progress. There comes a point in time where the "start in the Championship is better than odd minutes in the Prem" looks a tad tired.

Hughes has seemed frustrated to me for most of the season. How do people see his demeanour at present?  

21 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Hughes has seemed frustrated to me for most of the season. How do people see his demeanour at present?  

Often when he's lost the ball you see him moaning to the ref that he's been fouled, demanding a free-kick be given. Whether he's frustrated or believing he's hard done to, dunno. He's a young, talented player having to work hard to get his place back, it'll be interesting to see which way he goes. I watched the U23s v Denmark that he captained and he played very well, with lots of effort and advising, hopefully he's working towards doing that at Derby?

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Yes he could score more but If you think what he provides over a season doesn't amount to much - i can't help you. 

Coming in half way to this so apologies, what does he provide over a season then? I'm a big Hughes fan, always have been but there's no hiding there's a distinct lack of substance this year IMO. If I'm missing what he's actually doing then I'll retract my comments but "putting a shift in" isn't one of WH greatest traits, it's not something that sets him apart from others at this level. 

Brilliant piece of magic at Wolves, good second half against Forest, great game vs Leicester at home.. the three things that spring to mind when I think of him this season. Do you not think if we dissected his season there would be 20 odd games where he's started where he's done nothing though? Is that good enough for a player of his ability? We should be talking about him every other week for brilliant bits of play like that at Wolves, match winning performances, not finding excuses to cover up his current MIA status. 

He's clearly a better player than BJ, Bryso and Butterfield but that doesn't mean he starts in front of any of them. Pretty much what GR stated early doors, best players for the team/game rather than the best technical players. 

You will only see the best out of Hughes when he is surrounded by better players. Unfortunately, that is likely to be when he is no longer at Derby.

35 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Coming in half way to this so apologies, what does he provide over a season then? I'm a big Hughes fan, always have been but there's no hiding there's a distinct lack of substance this year IMO. If I'm missing what he's actually doing then I'll retract my comments but "putting a shift in" isn't one of WH greatest traits, it's not something that sets him apart from others at this level. 

Brilliant piece of magic at Wolves, good second half against Forest, great game vs Leicester at home.. the three things that spring to mind when I think of him this season. Do you not think if we dissected his season there would be 20 odd games where he's started where he's done nothing though? Is that good enough for a player of his ability? We should be talking about him every other week for brilliant bits of play like that at Wolves, match winning performances, not finding excuses to cover up his current MIA status. 

He's clearly a better player than BJ, Bryso and Butterfield but that doesn't mean he starts in front of any of them. Pretty much what GR stated early doors, best players for the team/game rather than the best technical players. 

Unfortunately the rise of the internet has led to the rise of sites which provide stats that prove nothing.

Michael Carricks stats were probably the same as Hughes' and he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for Alex Ferguson.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Unfortunately the rise of the internet has led to the rise of sites which provide stats that prove nothing.

Michael Carricks stats were probably the same as Hughes' and he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for Alex Ferguson.

Michael Carrick is a defensive midfielder who has played his whole career in the Premier League and for England. Don't think we can mention Hughesy in the same breath just yet, hopefully we will be able to one day. Would you say Hughes is a DM too? 

As for the rise of the internet/statto stuff, I'm not asking for an improved % in his passing or another km ran. I just want to see him take himself and us to that next level, impose himself on this sport and football matches he's involved in. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Michael Carrick is a defensive midfielder who has played his whole career in the Premier League and for England. Don't think we can mention Hughesy in the same breath just yet, hopefully we will be able to one day. Would you say Hughes is a DM too? 

As for the rise of the internet/statto stuff, I'm not asking for an improved % in his passing or another km ran. I just want to see him take himself and us to that next level, impose himself on this sport and football matches he's involved in. 

Hughes is a strange one in terms of position, a lot of the time he is picking the ball up from deep, so although I would not necessarily call him a defensive midfielder a lot of his time is spent in defensive positions...that may go some way to explaining lack of assists goals?

FWIW I would have him playing much higher up the pitch.

Yep hughes is a question that is starting to split opinion more and more with Derby fans ,, for me he is at that very mportant crossroads young players of his ilk reach ,, i.e. Can he find a decent level of consistency , yes we all know he has bags of talent , bags of potential but there comes a point where players like Hughes will be judged consistency 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hughes is a strange one in terms of position, a lot of the time he is picking the ball up from deep, so although I would not necessarily call him a defensive midfielder a lot of his time is spent in defensive positions...that may go some way to explaining lack of assists goals?

FWIW I would have him playing much higher up the pitch.

I don`t disagree. In fact for the first half of this season he looked to me like the only one bothering to put a tackle in.

Now we have toughened up i want to see him start to create like we know he can

I think Hughes should move on, personally. Provided we can get value for him of course. 

I think his progression is starting to plateau, playing only with/against championship players and I also think he's seeming less motivated. If the trajectory continues it's bad for both us and him. 

Just now, Alpha said:

You must watch a different Hughes. Not enough energy? He's box to box and constantly harassing opponents. As for not being direct... he's more direct than Bryson and Butterfield

Much like some people who don't rate Ince. I really do wonder what supposed football some fans watch.

Archived