Hughesy

Warren Hobhead

Since GR was appointed, he hasn't had a start. He's had the odd sub appearance. Bryson and Johnson have started each game. Seems Will and Butters are fighting it out for one spot and Jacob has been preferred so far. 

Many on here said they couldn't play together and GR's lineups so far suggest he's of the same opinion. 

We've got 10 points from 12. 

What's everyone's thoughts?

I didn't expect Butters or Hughesy to be GR footballers. So I wasn't surprised to see both on the bench initially. I did though expect us to struggle without a technician in midfield and GR having to pick one. But we haven't struggled really. And as much as I love Butterfield I expected it'd be Hughes getting the nod first. Who I love also. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Since GR was appointed, he hasn't had a start. He's had the odd sub appearance. Bryson and Johnson have started each game. Seems Will and Butters are fighting it out for one spot and Jacob has been preferred so far. 

Many on here said they couldn't play together and GR's lineups so far suggest he's of the same opinion. 

We've got 10 points from 12. 

What's everyone's thoughts?

I didn't expect Butters or Hughesy to be GR footballers. So I wasn't surprised to see both on the bench initially. I did though expect us to struggle without a technician in midfield and GR having to pick one. But we haven't struggled really. And as much as I love Butterfield I expected it'd be Hughes getting the nod first. Who I love also. 

Very early days. 4 games in and the results have all been positive. Little wonder Rowett is loath to change things right now. I also think 4 games, only one of which we won convincingly, is way too soon to give the Johnson and Bryson combo a free pass.

I've got to say I'm dismayed at Will's lack of starts purely because I was quick enough to have a pop at Pearson when he left him out for our first game of the season.

While Pearson remains cockwomble-in-chief, I can't argue with the fact Rowett has the best record of any manager in our history in his first four games so he might just know something I don't.

That said, if he sells Will, I'll never feel more like singing the blues. 

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It could be as simple as no one has done anything to lose the shirt and let Hughes in.

The Vydra one I'm thinking is pure tactics as he's looked threatening and scored goals.

Fair enough you go 4-3-3 so vydra is sacrificed but when you announce Butterfield as the starter over hughes v Birmingham, that's just odd. Putting JB in the shop window maybe? You know Hughes will leave for the premier league seasons end maybe? Something.

26 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Putting JB in the shop window maybe? You know Hughes will leave for the premier league seasons end maybe? Something.

Both plausible reasons. I'm just trying to not believe Hughes is being saved for sale.

Could just be GR thought butters might offer the odd long range shot which Hughes doesn't.

Watched Hughes when he came on yesterday. Looked after the ball well but wasn't very mobile. There was one occasion when ball played out to Ince from defence and there was a big Will-sized gap just waiting for him to run into and he did - but only after a good think about it. 

I'm not convinced he is fully fit.

To overlook Hughes or to sell him would be the biggest mistake the club has made squad wise in my life time. 

Injury alone has kept him at Derby. To underestimate how important and how much quality he has would be criminal. The signs thus far with Rowett aren't great and it is a tad worrying. With him and Thorne we are incredibly spoilt and I sincerely hope Rowett has no desire to sell Will. It would be a ludicrous decision.

I don't think anyone would want to spend big money on Hughes after his recent injuries and form. 

Third manager this year to leave him out, not sure if that's telling or whether it is just match fitness. Time will tell. 

It's hard to second guess why he isn't commanding an automatic start. GR did give a telling interview early on though saying that his starting  team wouldn't necessarily be the technically best 11 players. It was about getting the right blend of players, which to be fair is what he's done given the results we've had. I agree with @angieram  that his current fitness could also be a factor too. I too thought Pearson was a fruit loop when he did a similar thing with Hughesy and Chris Martin but whilst the results are remaining stable then we have to trust GRs judgement. Let's just hope WH can play his way back into the side when given the opportunity. 

It's either his attitude or whether he is injured that's the problem. However, Rowett wouldn't be bringing him on if he is not 100%. Could suggest to me that it might be trying to keep Hughes on the ground because our last 3 managers have chopped and changed with Hughes now.

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Thought Hughes did well when he came on. I think he is very much in Rowetts plans.

He did very well in the Fulham game. I can't comment about yesterday, being a half fan.

Vydra forced his way into consideration because of what he was doing in training. Hughes just has to show the same commitment, wait his chance then grab it.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

Vydra forced his way into consideration because of what he was doing in training. Hughes just has to show the same commitment, wait his chance then grab it.

So do we accept that Butters has done that then? Forced his way in through training and attitude? 

To be fair, I think he's looked spot on in every appearance under GR. Like the Butters of last season. Which shows he plays to instruction. Managers like that. God knows why Mac and NP had him out of position playing safety first football. Let him play and above all else, let him shoot around the box.

Archived