Hughesy

Warren Hobhead

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Thought Hughes did well when he came on. I think he is very much in Rowetts plans.

Rowett said other week that he would like to bring best out of Hughes so yeah very much in Rowett thoughts. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Could be saving him( for a big0 if we make the playoffs

No  point saving him if we won't get there and if we did by a miracle we did get there then I'd hazard a guess that the players who got us there would deserve to keep their places

May rambling thoughts on the big conundrum.

I remember clamouring for George Thorne to get a look-in when Eustace was playing in the team, and so savvy that the Eust was managing to avoid the final booking that would lead to a suspension for weeks. Finally Eustace saw yellow, Thorne came in and we didn't look back. It's hard to change a team that's doing well and not doing anything wrong, and is picking up results. What Butters should offer (and hopefully will again) is more goal threat - he's our best player at hitting it quickly from outside of the box, yet hasn't done it all season. Great to instigate the opening goal yesterday and hopefully will give him the confidence to start shooting much more.

I have felt Hughes hasn't looked fit since the Leicester injury and substitution. Because he's signed a new contract we may even have him next year since, on current form no one will meet the likely release fee we'll have in there. Doing your ACL ligaments is such a huge and horrible injury (I should know) that it always seemed a big ask for Will to last a full gruelling Championship season straight back. Is it to do with that? Who knows? But we'll only make the playoffs if we win every game and if we're winning every game Rowett can't really change the team.

Can Butters and Hughesy play together? I do think so. But I think that would work better with Thorne as CDM than Johnson as I suspect a midfield three of Thorne, Butterfield and Hughes would all be very technically good and all on the same wavelength.

49 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Rowett said other week that he would like to bring best out of Hughes so yeah very much in Rowett thoughts. 

But to be fair, I think he has now pretty much acknowledged every player at some point. No manager is going to really as he is not in my plans. The minute you do that, his value decreases...

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

So do we accept that Butters has done that then? Forced his way in through training and attitude? 

Are you suggesting that he hasn't?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Are you suggesting that he hasn't?

Not at all. From the GR sound bites since arriving, attitude and what he sees on the training ground holds big sway for him. Noticeable to me that the likes of Bryson, Johnson, Nugent, Russell have all started. I'm happy that hard work is being rewarded.

He was well out of form towards the end of mac's time in charge... dont know whether he was injured or just needed a breather but the rest is probably doing him good

he hasnt started under rowett, just think everyones looking into it too much  

Will hughes is our best player.

he's just turned 22 years old 

Despite missing almost a full season with a bad injury he has already played an astonishing 142 league games

he could play another 450 league games for us.

Bare in mind hector - record league appearances = 486

hughes is a phenomenon 

he's had a bad injury. If he needs a rest, then let him rest. 

Anyone who thinks we have a better option in midfield has a screw loose.

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Will hughes is our best player.

he's just turned 22 years old 

Despite missing almost a full season with a bad injury he has already played an astonishing 142 league games

he could play another 450 league games for us.

Bare in mind hector - record league appearances = 486

hughes is a phenomenon 

he's had a bad injury. If he needs a rest, then let him rest. 

Anyone who thinks we have a better option in midfield has a screw loose.

Gary Rowett?

I doubt there's an English footballer whose impact is so unreflective of their ability. 

Hughes is a great footballer, no question about it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left. In terms of actual substance and what he provides over the course of the season, it doesn't amount to much. I also don't believe that his stock is anywhere near what it used to be. I know injuries haven't helped, but he's got to be doing more in games. Rowett got it absolutely spot on when he said he needs to add goals and assists to his game. 

I could be way off the mark, but I believe Rowett has left him out because he isn't fit enough. I don't mean he's carrying a knock. I mean, I don't believe he is anywhere near the level of fitness required to play the way we want. Hughes is a drifter and he will look to jog around and find space. He definitely has a role to play, because he's one of our best players. Technically, he's probably our best player. I just feel that he needs to add an extra 20-30% to his fitness and learn to stop being so passive in games.  

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I doubt there's an English footballer whose impact is so unreflective of their ability. 

Hughes is a great footballer, no question about it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left. In terms of actual substance and what he provides over the course of the season, it doesn't amount to much. I also don't believe that his stock is anywhere near what it used to be. I know injuries haven't helped, but he's got to be doing more in games. Rowett got it absolutely spot on when he said he needs to add goals and assists to his game. 

I could be way off the mark, but I believe Rowett has left him out because he isn't fit enough. I don't mean he's carrying a knock. I mean, I don't believe he is anywhere near the level of fitness required to play the way we want. Hughes is a drifter and he will look to jog around and find space. He definitely has a role to play, because he's one of our best players. Technically, he's probably our best player. I just feel that he needs to add an extra 20-30% to his fitness and learn to stop being so passive in games.  

Garbage

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Amazing how fans see things differently.

Hughes works harder than any other player. He's always available for a pass, He closes players down constantly. 

If anything, he tries to do too much at times instead of concentrating on being a bit more selfish.

In what sense? All the stuff in bold is rubbish

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Russell and hendrick both said Hughes works the hardest in training.

he is fit and puts in a tremendous shift in games.

You ignore the fact that he is still coming back from a major injury

who in our midfield is better? Butterfield? Johnson? Bryson?

none of them has the vision, the talent,or the passing ability of will Hughes. Watch the pass to darren bent for the volley at wolves. Hughes runs the length of the pitch to support bent, beats two players to find a pocket of space, and then plays a pass which is world class.  Hughes dictates where bent is to go. Sensational.

he's more Gerry Daly than Mickey Lewis - i'll give you that. 

Yes he could score more but If you think what he provides over a season doesn't amount to much - i can't help you. 

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

And he carries all of that ability without any of the cockwombility of a Giles Barnes or a jack grealish.

Tbh, a friend of mine knows both ince and Hughes as they regularly visit his shop,(Ince takes quite a bit of signed stuff in for him to raffle off for his sons football club).

I've asked him what they are like and he said Ince is very down to earth in how he talks and acts. Hughes, he said is an utter knob, massively arrogant and just acts like a complete tool. :lol:

I've never met either, so just going on what he said.

Archived