Birmingham City v Derby County

Mafiabob

23 hours ago, WoollyJumper said:

Reminds me of the old joke about who was the first person killed at Rourkes Drift?

21 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Do we still sing Yam Yam when our manager is a Yam Yam? 

I am familiar with neither of these terms; if I google them, will I have Federal Police banging my door down? Or a search history I'd prefer not to have?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

I liked that about Clement too. With Mac you always thought he was either wearing rose tinted glasses, or watching a completely different game. 

Or that he preferred to focus on encouraging his players in public, leaving criticism/improvement in-house?

I can honestly say there were times when I, as a fan, wished Mac had been more critical of certain players publicly immediately after match but we should all recognise two aspects of that:

1.,That sort of 70s-style of people management at best works only very short term and is more likely to be counter-productive nowadays; and

2. Mac would detail the areas for improvement if you listened to his words but he generally shies away from direct individual criticism (as do Rowett and Clement). While they all have different communication styles and emphases, I genuinely whether many Derby fans actually ever bothered to listen to what Mac was saying. I am certain it is a result of emotional involvement - whether because we want the team to hurt as much as we do or whether it is because they still had a grudge against Mac - but it seems to me that we do not listen to the same interviews.

PS: Mac did criticise the squad as directly as anyone ever would after what proved to be his final game. And rightly so.

Many will no doubt argue that he was only trying to save his job but, quite honestly (and I wrote this after the game in here and on facebook), my sense was that he had tried all he could to help the players improve (remembering there was no alternative mid-season but to 'make do' until the end of the season) and felt the players couldn't be 'protected' any longer from acknowledging the need to overhaul the squad. I also thought that he sounded like a man who had read the tea leaves and didn't believe he was going to be given the opportunity to show he had the right long term plan.

1 hour ago, EssendonRam said:

I am familiar with neither of these terms; if I google them, will I have Federal Police banging my door down? Or a search history I'd prefer not to have?

Well after the soldiers were told to fire at will, it should give you a bit of a clue. :thumbsup:

On 4/5/2017 at 08:41, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think it was brilliant that Gary in his post match interviews had already identified that the players didn't get what he was asking of them first half and ended up leaving gaps for Fulham to exploit. Very refreshing that despite a 4-2 win against a talented side he is straight away identifying areas where we must do better. 

PS Just to add that already I can see that if the players continue to buy into his playing philosophy we will see the talent that we have emerge. Exciting times I think.

Nail & Head. I noticed that...we'd just beaten a very talented Fulham side 4-2 and GR post-match is disappointed that we conceded a second. That gives you a great insight into GR's psychology and perhaps an idea why he is a winner...

On 4/6/2017 at 00:56, EssendonRam said:

Or that he preferred to focus on encouraging his players in public, leaving criticism/improvement in-house?

I can honestly say there were times when I, as a fan, wished Mac had been more critical of certain players publicly immediately after match but we should all recognise two aspects of that:

1.,That sort of 70s-style of people management at best works only very short term and is more likely to be counter-productive nowadays; and

2. Mac would detail the areas for improvement if you listened to his words but he generally shies away from direct individual criticism (as do Rowett and Clement). While they all have different communication styles and emphases, I genuinely whether many Derby fans actually ever bothered to listen to what Mac was saying. I am certain it is a result of emotional involvement - whether because we want the team to hurt as much as we do or whether it is because they still had a grudge against Mac - but it seems to me that we do not listen to the same interviews.

PS: Mac did criticise the squad as directly as anyone ever would after what proved to be his final game. And rightly so.

Many will no doubt argue that he was only trying to save his job but, quite honestly (and I wrote this after the game in here and on facebook), my sense was that he had tried all he could to help the players improve (remembering there was no alternative mid-season but to 'make do' until the end of the season) and felt the players couldn't be 'protected' any longer from acknowledging the need to overhaul the squad. I also thought that he sounded like a man who had read the tea leaves and didn't believe he was going to be given the opportunity to show he had the right long term plan.

Very astute. I share your views, Sir. 

16 hours ago, wingfieldram said:

We are arriving in Brum just before 12 for a few beers before the match. Only had a quick look at the pubs inbetween new street and st andrews......the anchor and the white swan look good for real ale.

Does anyone have any pub recommendations?

Shakespeare seems to be the place to go! :)

West Brom away a lot of Rams (and Geordies) took it over. Same again surely?

On 06/04/2017 at 22:32, wingfieldram said:

We are arriving in Brum just before 12 for a few beers before the match. Only had a quick look at the pubs inbetween new street and st andrews......the anchor and the white swan look good for real ale.

Highly recommend 'the wellington'!

went there before (and after!) the West  Brom game, its about a 5 minute walk from new street station and was amazing for real ale. 

On 06/04/2017 at 22:32, wingfieldram said:

I'm thinking of trying the Anchor. 

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Highly recommend 'the wellington'!

went there before (and after!) the West  Brom game, its about a 5 minute walk from new street station and was amazing for real ale. 

I work in Brum - for city centre pubs I'd say the Welly, the Old Joint Stock on St Phiilps Square or the Old Contemptibles on Edmund St

Archived