Vydra

Jimbo Ram

10 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

Martin, Nugent and Vydra will give GR all the options he needs. 

I see Martin as the focal point of the attack he holds the ball up very well and with Vydra linking off him. It could be Great mix. 

I hope so. Happy to have him as an option.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

You will literally snap at any half chance to have a dig won't you? 

Yes.   But I actually wasnt having a dig this time! He's played his best as a lone striker and vydra played well off deeney. Martin really isn't that similar to deeney.

its worth a try but it's unproven. Hopefully GR tries it and it works!

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I am finding encouraging is that we seem to have stopped this polarised 442 or 433 argument.

you were either a Maclaren 433 Martin plus runners man or a suppoerter of Vydra in a Pearson 442 (but we didn't seem to have the second of the 2 ) 

Eureka ! Bliss and Joy .. We are talking about having 2 strikers and finding a system that suits both and gives us some fire power from more than one sort of gun. 

On 11 March 2017 at 21:15, Nuwtfly said:

Agreed. Would love to see Vydra play in behind Martin in a 4-2-3-1. Likelihood is that McClaren will revert back to 4-3-3 when Martin is back though, with Vydra on the bench :/ 

13 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

Down the middle behind Nugent.

Not rocket science.

Why the obsession with vydra playing behind the centre forward??

"Get in the box son, thats what i pay you for". 

PistoldPete2
5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why the obsession with vydra playing behind behind the centre forward??

Get in the box son that's what I pay you for... Said the actress to her gigolo. 

I think we need more than two strikers. Last few games we've taken vydra and nugent off and suffered for it. We didn't have striking options on the bench with martin and weimann out on loan and Blackman injured. Bent is ok if you need an impact sub but what we have needed when leading is someone to press and hold the ball up.. Nugget does that but when he goes off who else is there? 

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Get in the box son that's what I pay you for... Said the actress to her gigolo. 

I think we need more than two strikers. Last few games we've taken vydra and nugent off and suffered for it. We didn't have striking options on the bench with martin and weimann out on loan and Blackman injured. Bent is ok if you need an impact sub but what we have needed when leading is someone to press and hold the ball up.. Nugget does that but when he goes off who else is there? 

True. But thats a slightly different subject.

the top 4 are probably martin, nugent, vydra, weimann. Difficult to keep all four happy.

The others could go.

its strange how so many players say how good blackman is in training, but unfortunately he hasn't done it on the pitch so far.

weimann and vydra suffer because we only play one striker.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I think next season we will see 4-2-3-1 quite a lot, with the forward 4 being chosen out of Martin, Nugent and Vydra for the lone striker role. Ince, Russell, Anya and Vydra for the wide positions and any of those 6 in the number 10 role. Even during matches I can see the front 4 drifting and swapping around.

I'm not convinced those 7 players competing for four spots are good enough to get us out of this league, nor is Vydra ever going to play the lone striker role.

However I will say for the 20 mins yesterday that Vyrda was behind the striker that was his best spell in a Derby shirt for me, and hey presto, you get yourself in the mix you are more likely to score goals. 

Then bizarrely before he was subbed (right decision, we needed more control in the midfield on the ball) he was pushed back outside. He's a liability defensively as he offers his full back no protection and constantly gets done. If he plays it must be either behind the striker or as a front two. 

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

Interesting yeah. There's no telling it would work though. Martin has had very few great seasons in his career and all of them was as a lone striker I think.

But he is best with players close to him. Vydra will suit that to a tee. Bring the best out of each other. 

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

I'm not convinced those 7 players competing for four spots are good enough to get us out of this league, nor is Vydra ever going to play the lone striker role.

However I will say for the 20 mins yesterday that Vyrda was behind the striker that was his best spell in a Derby shirt for me, and hey presto, you get yourself in the mix you are more likely to score goals. 

Then bizarrely before he was subbed (right decision, we needed more control in the midfield on the ball) he was pushed back outside. He's a liability defensively as he offers his full back no protection and constantly gets done. If he plays it must be either behind the striker or as a front two. 

I was thinking more of Vydra upfront to start with and Martin (or Nugent) behind and both switching, one dropping and the other occupying the defenders and they keep swapping.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

You're coming around ! 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why the obsession with vydra playing behind the centre forward??

Granted Mr Clough!

But that is his preferred position

Apparently he knocked on McLaren's door and told him where he likes to play...so next game Mac swapped him with Ince and stuck him out wide lol

good to see vydra finally coming around(well,one goal under mac,one under rowett)...

got a long way to go before he looks like the player watford had a few years ago and still a lot of convincing to be done if he is not to be sold at the end of the season.....cant see twenty goals a season coming out of him as it stands but it would be great if he can bag more in the next eight games.

I'm not usually a fan of the pacey, goal scoring forwards. They're usually dogshit in terms of ability and contribution in terms of general play (for example, I don't think much of Andre Gray at all).

Vydra though… looks like he has something about him. We've only seen it in glimpses thus far. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Then bizarrely  he was pushed back outside. He's a liability defensively as he offers his full back no protection and constantly gets done. If he plays it must be either behind the striker or as a front two. 

Thing is, everyone has been saying this for months - fans, commentators, players, onlookers , the lot

Why is it that it took until losing away at Forest and a new manager to put this thinking into place. 

Its one of those situations that reinforces supporters view that sometimes they really do know better than the management.

Can one of the more technically knowledgeable,football posters (Alpha, Bris ) explain why previous managers have not played him in this position but preferred to stick him out wide  ?

I didn't think he was tremendous but he will be, also the three of Russell Vydra and Ince can all interchange positions during a game and give opposition defenders so many problems and if we get a fully fit and motivated Martin back next season with the nugent assistance available we will be very good to watch.

How many of those who have Vydra on their list of 'outs' in the summer have changed their mind now? If we play him in behind the striker, we could have a really really good player on our hands. And he's still (relatively) young! 

14 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

How many of those who have Vydra on their list of 'outs' in the summer have changed their mind now? If we play him in behind the striker, we could have a really really good player on our hands. And he's still (relatively) young! 

It would entirely depend on what was offered for him. I guess the price we would want may have gone up a little, but he has a long way to go to merit his cost.

Archived