Fourth highest attendance in the U.K.

hintonsboots

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

You might be right, maybe one day we will find out., my gut feeling however is that with the cost of everybody involved plus materials it would be a lot more, but then thats only because i cant get my head around why a 30000 stadium cost 30 million but a 60000 like the emirates was 400 million, ok i know it will be more but over 10 times more for double capacity?

Personally i dont think this is the key factor anyway. I think Mel will no doubt be aware of it and would consider it only when we can genuinely fill it or at least most of it.

Does that 400,000,000 include land costs? House prices for comparable houses in the south but outside London are at least three times the price of up here. Probably even worse in London.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Bessie1 said:

We've got 3,000 empty seats most games.  Can't understand why we'd want to add to this

Agreed.

Expansion will probably never happen and I wouldn't want it to.

It would be useful in the Premier League at first but the attendances would fall if we became an established mid-table club, which is probably the best we can hope for. When we inevitably go back down a division a 45k stadium about half full would be horrible.

More importantly the season we were last in the Prem there were Man Utd, Liverpool etc. fans lurking in the home end which was intolerable. A parent brought their kid along in a Liverpool shirt in the south-east upper stand.

54 minutes ago, DenbyRam said:

It's a shame our away crowds are so poor. 20% down on last season. Some stats here:

http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/championship-away-support-thread.2/page-273

Odd isn't it? Terrible away support for a club with home crowds like ours. 

I usually prefer the smaller away followings mind, the 200 odd of us away at Hull City on a Tuesday night a few years ago was probably one of the best trips I've seen of our fans, magnificent despite the numbers and result. 

I would love to see the stadium made bigger round the horseshoe so we can beat our record attendance and also would make it a more intimidating arena for away teams. We will have to wait until we are back in the prem, but before that we could make the south west corner look the same as the north west corner with a screen so that everyone in the ground can see the big screens. Also could move the police control room into a new south west corner giving more premium seats at the back of the east stand.

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Suggest we see how Sunderland 's ground looks next season before committing to costly upgrades.

Haven't villa shut whole tiers of their 44k capacity ground this season to reflect reduced demand? 

The top tier of their main stand is closed this season.

if the east stand became two tier it would be difficult to shut the top tier off, we would need to become established like Stoke before we look at it.

Just now, Seth's left foot said:

if the east stand became two tier it would be difficult to shut the top tier off, we would need to become established like Stoke before we look at it.

I think that's right  it's not a trivial exercise as isn't it the case that if we make the capacity bigger you have to increase the away bit so we have to mind the gap  (as it were).

2 hours ago, DenbyRam said:

I didn't think there was 30k there yesterday. Plenty of empty seats.

Presumably we still count ST holders even if they don't attend. 

Having said that, our average is still very good, despite the disappointing last couple of seasons. 

It's a shame our away crowds are so poor. 20% down on last season. Some stats here:

http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/championship-away-support-thread.2/page-273

Agree with your scepticism about yesterdays' attendance and tend to take the figures the club puts out with a pinch of salt. Looking at last nights' highlights, the number of empty seats in the North Stand was really noticeable. I'd have put the figure at between 27k & 28k at best.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Agree with your scepticism about yesterdays' attendance and tend to take the figures the club puts out with a pinch of salt. Looking at last nights' highlights, the number of empty seats in the North Stand was really noticeable. I'd have put the figure at between 27k & 28k at best.

But that would suggest that there were 5 or 6k empty seats.

Must admit, i was fearing that we would have a really poor attendance after our recent torrid run, but was pleasently surprised to see the size of the crowd by kick off. There are gaps that are regularly appearing in the north stand and east stand.....never nice to see. We need a good run of positive enTertaining football To start filling the gaps. Yesterdays second half was a good start.

2 hours ago, wingfieldram said:

But that would suggest that there were 5 or 6k empty seats.

Must admit, i was fearing that we would have a really poor attendance after our recent torrid run, but was pleasently surprised to see the size of the crowd by kick off. There are gaps that are regularly appearing in the north stand and east stand.....never nice to see. We need a good run of positive enTertaining football To start filling the gaps. Yesterdays second half was a good start.

But would we need a bigger stadium if established in the top tier ? 

You can always tell the crowd roughly by how many are in the first block on North Stand, and the adjacent West stand block.

Pretty much empty when 26/27 thousand ish, but both were well populated yesterday, I'd say around half full.

I don't think we do count St holders regardless, I'm sure it was posted on here some time ago that the crowd figure was bums on seats, not tickets sold.

3 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Stoke have been established for 8 years in the Prem and have just decided to fill in one of their corners for the 2017/18 season. Their owners, Bet365 will be able to pay Ray Winston even more to glamourise gambling.

If they get an extra 1,000 fans per match they'll sell an extra 3,000 pies per game....fat stoke barstards.

Emirates:

1) price of land in London

2) twice the capacity doesn't mean twice the amount of steel to be used

3) significantly stronger steel required

4) complexity of their stadium

5) Additional internal complexities with the emirates

i bet PP today would cost £60-£80 million to build and our design is so simple. Only one stand has a second tier for instance.

Anyway capacity is bang on with zero need to increase it regardless of division.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Emirates:

1) price of land in London

2) twice the capacity doesn't mean twice the amount of steel to be used

3) significantly stronger steel required

4) complexity of their stadium

5) Additional internal complexities with the emirates

i bet PP today would cost £60-£80 million to build and our design is so simple. Only one stand has a second tier for instance.

Anyway capacity is bang on with zero need to increase it regardless of division.

Huh ?? 

I like your point 4 ! 

Pride Park was built with a heads up to possible expansion .... 

My point is still out there ..... 

When we had our fleeting nightmare in the top tier we sold out every game ... correct me here if I'm wrong .. 

Our average was 32 k ? 

That season , when EVERYONE knew we were being relegated .. tickets were hard to come by ... 

My reasoning is IF we ever get established in the top tier .. .. and get good .... we may need more capacity. 

I hate threads where Derby fans congratulate themselves. 

Quite often Pride Park is a bit ****. I'm not sure why people turn up or what they think they contribute or what they're getting out of it. 

Extend the ground? Why? So if we make the Premier League then all the people that haven't turned up since 2007 can turn up now? C'mon. That many people haven't suddenly hit financial barriers. They aren't coming for Derby. 

If you support Derby then you can get a ticket. If you half support Derby then who cares whether you miss out or not? 

The numbers are impressive but there's a few things to take into consideration. Nearby clubs, price, historical success. Some people seem to turn up as a habit rather than anything else. Turn up late, go down before HT, come up late and leave early. Groaning the whole time. Is that support? Or if we were a London club and/or our success was further back than the 70's would these people be somewhere else?

I dunno. Not really given it much thought. Just throwing it out there.

Archived