Fourth highest attendance in the U.K.

hintonsboots

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

What superb support we have got. Only Man Utd, Liverpool and Lesstor had higher attendances than Pride Park at 30 280. Surely we'll need a bigger ground when we get to the Prem.?

We could play our home games at Wembley 

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

What superb support we have got. Only Man Utd, Liverpool and Lesstor had higher attendances than Pride Park at 30 280. Surely we'll need a bigger ground when we get to the Prem.?

Personally i think the current capacity is just about right - it would be great if we got to the Premier and the ground was packed out every week. Not sure we have the history to tell us that we can be a permanent member of that exclusive club that suggests we are badly missing out by having a capacity of only 33000.

Having said that I completely understand your comment, @hintonsboots. There is no question that the support we have is bordering on astonishing.  I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the ground does have ready-made opportunities to expand capacity . It was kind of "in-built" into the design. Can anyone shed any light on this ?

4 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Personally i think the current capacity is just about right - it would be great if we got to the Premier and the ground was packed out every week. Not sure we have the history to tell us that we can be a permanent member of that exclusive club that suggests we are badly missing out by having a capacity of only 33000.

Having said that I completely understand your comment, @hintonsboots. There is no question that the support we have is bordering on astonishing.  I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the ground does have ready-made opportunities to expand capacity . It was kind of "in-built" into the design. Can anyone shed any light on this ?

This article says that the maximum capacity we could expand to would be 45,000.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-world-cup-bid-plans-pride-park-stadium-expansion-unveiled/story-11622444-detail/story.html

17 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

In that season of doom we averaged 33k ? 

Correct me if I'm wrong here .. my point being it was a joke season yet you had trouble getting tickets for PP ... 

We've got potential for expansion once established in the prem ... 

We would be 13th in the Prem on current average attendances and are 3rd in the championship behind Newcastle and Villa. Dont know if i would a bigger stadium if it meant we had to close swathes of it everytime we get relegated.

That being said it would be nice to beat our record attendance which is currently impossible at Pride Park without breaking several laws.

The thing that amuses me is that expanding sounds like such a big step, yet with it being in the stadium design as a bolt on extra I reckon the cost would be very modest next to the price of players and the capital coming in to the club from Mel's pocket on a regular basis

. If it was me I'd expand ASAP ... and under 16's or some such youth/family incentive, super low priced tickets until demand and supply balanced out. That way you fill it with the next generation, sell lots pies and have a lot of good old fashioned noise 

I didn't think there was 30k there yesterday. Plenty of empty seats.

Presumably we still count ST holders even if they don't attend. 

Having said that, our average is still very good, despite the disappointing last couple of seasons. 

It's a shame our away crowds are so poor. 20% down on last season. Some stats here:

http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/championship-away-support-thread.2/page-273

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, jono said:

The thing that amuses me is that expanding sounds like such a big step, yet with it being in the stadium design as a bolt on extra I reckon the cost would be very modest next to the price of players and the capital coming in to the club from Mel's pocket on a regular basis

. If it was me I'd expand ASAP ... and under 16's or some such youth/family incentive, super low priced tickets until demand and supply balanced out. That way you fill it with the next generation, sell lots pies and have a lot of good old fashioned noise 

I'd be interested to know how much it would cost.

I have no idea and just guessing but I bet it would cost more to upgrade it now than it cost to build the stadium originally.

I think the original cost was about 30 million. The estimated cost of Spurs new stadium is 400 million. Even the AMEX was 90 + million and that was a few years ago now.

18 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Laudable sentiments @jono

What specifically is it that makes you think that the current capacity is inadequate ? 

I think it is adequate given where we are now as an established "senior" Championship team.

I suppose my enthusiasm is to see us a step higher. When players at this level can be exchanged for 5 and 10 million and not change where we are then there is an argument that "preparing for greater things" via a bigger stadium isn't so silly.

Of course if you did you might end up with empty areas which wouldn't be encouraging; so having a plan to fill those would be part of it. Many years ago I remember reading that Rover Cars had a problem ... The average age of their new car buyers was 37 while Fords were 28, Car buyers in those days were loyal so Ford had a long term advantage .. Get em young and you'll sell them more cars over a lifetime. The habit of going to a game rather than watch TV is something that of established early lasts a lifetime. I would really like to see youngsters actively encouraged to come and some seats that need filling could dovetail nicely with that desire. 

2 minutes ago, DenbyRam said:

I didn't think there was 30k there yesterday. Plenty of empty seats.

Presumably we still count ST holders even if they don't attend. 

Having said that, our average is still very good, despite the disappointing last couple of seasons. 

It's a shame our away crowds are so poor. 20% down on last season. Some stats here:

http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/championship-away-support-thread.2/page-273

Huddersfield? Blimey

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I'd be interested to know how much it would cost.

I have no idea and just guessing but I bet it would cost more to upgrade it now than it cost to build the stadium originally.

I think the original cost was about 30 million. The estimated cost of Spurs new stadium is 400 million. Even the AMEX was 90 + million and that was a few years ago now.

Me too ... I bet we would be surprised how cheap. The foundations and infrastructure will there in the design. Structural steel work isn't that expensive if the groundwork is taken out. Look how quickly substantial buildings go up. There would be some costs associated with disruption I bet it could be done for less then 10 million if well planned and tendered. Remember it is an extension .. Its Lego/meccano 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, jono said:

Me too ... I bet we would be surprised how cheap. The foundations and infrastructure will there in the design. Structural steel work isn't that expensive if the groundwork is taken out. Look how quickly substantial buildings go up. There would be some costs associated with disruption I bet it could be done for less then 10 million if well planned and tendered. Remember it is an extension .. Its Lego/meccano 

You might be right, maybe one day we will find out., my gut feeling however is that with the cost of everybody involved plus materials it would be a lot more, but then thats only because i cant get my head around why a 30000 stadium cost 30 million but a 60000 like the emirates was 400 million, ok i know it will be more but over 10 times more for double capacity?

Personally i dont think this is the key factor anyway. I think Mel will no doubt be aware of it and would consider it only when we can genuinely fill it or at least most of it.

Archived