My Lads op.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

How is he coping with lock down

He doesn’t go far anyway mate and he’s quite happy to stay out of peoples way.

He’s got a fascination with watching Chris Martin highlights.

He’s not been with us because we’re working he’s had to go elsewhere which has been difficult.

53 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

He doesn’t go far anyway mate and he’s quite happy to stay out of peoples way.

He’s got a fascination with watching Chris Martin highlights.

Well what an excellent choice of pastime, and there'll be lots of excellent highlights to watch! ? ?

On 16/04/2020 at 14:26, Van Cone De Head said:

What are you having done mate (that sounds like I’m asking you about some home improvements)?

The problem is I have a broken Femur that isn't healing, after 18 months of them wondering why it wasn't healing  they stuck me in a PET scan and decided becuase it was infected. The infection wasn't spotted earlier as all it's doing is stopping the bone healing,

The plan is to go in cut the infected bone away, externally fix the good ends together, and have me open the gap by a fraction every day. This should make the bone grow back to the full length eventually.

It's internally fixed right now, which meas I can walk around, but they warned me the nail is only a temporary fix whilst the bone heals. It's beyond it's design life now and could fail. This is likely to be painful and lead to hospitalisation at least, but could be a more catastrophic failure. The other potential problem would be if the quiet infection goes into overdrive for some reason.

8 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

The other potential problem would be if the quiet infection goes into overdrive for some reason.

Ahhhh,cheers,I remember you mentioning it now.

I’m no Dr but I know you don’t want an infection in your bones,any infection is not great.

Would that be some form of resection of the femur?

I don’t envy you but that should sort it out,but my guess is that it’s going to take some time,hope they get it done quick for you.

Will antibiotics help that infection?

Joel is a master of the resection of various bits,a procedure that made me sick when I realised what they did to him.

There has been talk of doing a resection of his throat/tonsils,hopefully the scan will mean he doesn’t need that.

Hope your leg is ok,keep us posted.

On 18/04/2020 at 09:18, Van Cone De Head said:

Would that be some form of resection of the femur?

I had to google it as I hadn't heard that term, but I suppose it is along the lines of that. The surgeon just said I'll trim it down and square it off, that should work. The more that gets trimmed the longer I'm going to be in fixation for.

It was sobering to think if the infection did go bezerk they would probably just chop the leg off. Joel doesn't have that (rather drastic) luxury. Best wishes to Joel and the rest of you,

21 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

I had to google it as I hadn't heard that term, but I suppose it is along the lines of that. The surgeon just said I'll trim it down and square it off, that should work. The more that gets trimmed the longer I'm going to be in fixation for.

It was sobering to think if the infection did go bezerk they would probably just chop the leg off. Joel doesn't have that (rather drastic) luxury. Best wishes to Joel and the rest of you,

Let us know how you get on?

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

All the best at least you are getting sorted but my self be next year before I get see anyone.

If your suffering just ring your GP,they should do a phone consultation and organise the prescription for you or even organise a phone consultation with the hospital.

• 1 month later...

Archived