Paul Clement

Waffle

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

One (current) first choice left back, an absolute shitter and a striker that didn't get a chance. Could have been much, much worse. 

Not sure 3 players and one full window is conclusive enough to go around bashing PC tbh, each to their own. 

Blackman and Camara though are the two worst signings Derby have made in the last 5 years. Clement responsible for both. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Mel is to blame for our transfers policy and the state of the squad. Pretty much nailed on.

Ahem.....

2 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

people want to manufacture a different reality. 

They do ?

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 14:11, Angry Ram said:

So basically you are shooting him for being new and making some mistakes. I don't agree with some of the points but others yes. If anyone needed time, it was him. Was he afforded all you said, were the transfers all his? I believe he was not even here when some came in. We don't really know.

I give no substance to what Mel says at any point.. I agree it needed a tweak but Morris wanted more than that hence the appointment of PC. That was radical, risky and forward thinking. Was he just meant to be a puppet and when he refused to be, he was out quick time? We don't know.

The rest about the changing room is just hearsay.. The players are weak though, not mentally strong enough but as you said, done to death.

Swansea don't seem to play in his image though do they.. Or do they? I take it you mean he is a bit dour.. Could he have learnt from a mistake?? Might he have learnt while he was here?

He was a bold move, one that I thought was a good move. Most of the points you have raised above could have been pointed at other managers as well.. Playing players out of position etc. 

Time will tell if Clement makes a good manager. To be fair it's all a bit of a lottery having success at one place does not guarantee it at another club.

Where has clement had success ?

5 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Mel is to blame for our transfers policy and the state of the squad. Pretty much nailed on. Yet people want to manufacture a different reality. So yes, he was really just an assistant here - even getting a telling off or two from the big boss in front of the players.

I wouldn't make the same outright claim that Mr Morris is to blame but I did get the sense that a succession of managers almost gave the impression of being surprised at certain recruitment decisions and I did say so at the time.

Fortunately, it's not like the apparent issues continued past Clement's sacking :ph34r:, nor is it as if we (the club) had a subsequent bust up which may or may not be a legal issue which may or may not involve recruiting   :ph34r:

Let's not Rush to judgement!

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Blackman and Camara though are the two worst signings Derby have made in the last 5 years. Clement responsible for both. 

Both who got little chance under any manager nevermind Clement. What did he get? 2/3 weeks with them? They've been poor additions in the overall bigger picture but two bad signings don't make a manager terrible in the transfer market IMO. 

7 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Really, the worst in the past 5 years. 

Camara is very arguable. Blackman was not good, but were either worse than Best, as one example off the top of my head. 

Also, the last 5 years have been pretty good for signings overall, so you're picking a very limited timescale. To be the worst of a good bunch is not that bad. 

Expand your timescale to the past 10 years, and they wouldn't even come close to the top 10. 

But then, maybe you've just been a fan for the past 5 years and haven't heard of Andy Griffin. 

I've about had it with the Clement arse licking, just seen someone suggesting on twitter that it'd be us signing Renato Sanches if we'd kept Clement.

Seriously, what did the bloke actually do for us that made us better on the pitch?

He took a team that, before being destroyed by injury, was one of the best in the division and made us gradually worse and worse.

None of the players were improving, in fact most of them were getting worse. Bradley Johnson went from being the fittest and most confident player at the club to unfit and next to useless. Chris Martin was chasing lumps upfield, Ince was barely producing and the players who saw the most of the ball were Shackell and Keogh. f****** Jason Shackell was one of our main playmakers, let that settle in.

Clement had a Derby team playing 4-3-3 that included Martin, Thorne and Ince, yet we were getting worse as time went on. A Derby manager has never been backed like he was.

Clough, McClaren, Pearson and Rowett never had/don't have anywhere near the freedom he had.

Clough never got any backing in the transfer market, McClaren mainly worked with loans, Pearson had to sell before he bought, Mac II didn't have his two most important players in Thorne/Martin and Rowett's had to start a rebuild.

As far as football goes, I didn't see anything from him that suggested he's this next Sir Alex Ferguson that would have got us into the promised land.

His Swansea tenure has clearly gone well but he's not done anything that's remotely close to special. He took an underachieving squad and kept them up with a new manager bounce. Alan Pardew's done that.

The Derby lot who still talk about him are boring football hipsters who prefer a manager who wears a nice jumper, sounds good in a Q&A with Mel and gets on with Owen Bradley.

The amount of disrespect Clough and McClaren get despite doing ten times more for this club than Clement ever did really winds me up (as you can probably tell).

So what if we'd got a loan from the bloke he set out cones for.

7 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I've about had it with the Clement arse licking, just seen someone suggesting on twitter that it'd be us signing Renato Sanches if we'd kept Clement.

Seriously, what did the bloke actually do for us that made us better on the pitch?

He took a team that, before being destroyed by injury, was one of the best in the division and made us gradually worse and worse.

None of the players were improving, in fact most of them were getting worse. Bradley Johnson went from being the fittest and most confident player at the club to unfit and next to useless. Chris Martin was chasing lumps upfield, Ince was barely producing and the players who saw the most of the ball were Shackell and Keogh. f****** Jason Shackell was one of our main playmakers, let that settle in.

Clement had a Derby team playing 4-3-3 that included Martin, Thorne and Ince, yet we were getting worse as time went on. A Derby manager has never been backed like he was.

Clough, McClaren, Pearson and Rowett never had/don't have anywhere near the freedom he had.

Clough never got any backing in the transfer market, McClaren mainly worked with loans, Pearson had to sell before he bought, Mac II didn't have his two most important players in Thorne/Martin and Rowett's had to start a rebuild.

As far as football goes, I didn't see anything from him that suggested he's this next Sir Alex Ferguson that would have got us into the promised land.

His Swansea tenure has clearly gone well but he's not done anything that's remotely close to special. He took an underachieving squad and kept them up with a new manager bounce. Alan Pardew's done that.

The Derby lot who still talk about him are boring football hipsters who prefer a manager who wears a nice jumper, sounds good in a Q&A with Mel and gets on with Owen Bradley.

The amount of disrespect Clough and McClaren get despite doing ten times more for this club than Clement ever did really winds me up (as you can probably tell).

The answer is simple really, don't read the blight on society that is Twitter expecting to find informed posts about football when nearly everything written on it is explicitly done so with the aim of geting a stupid little soundbite included on some equaly shitty website that publishes articles with titles like "Revealed: Here's what Swans fans really feel about their latest capture"

I'd like to claim that doing so would lead to a less anger-filled, more content life, but, well...

15 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Sorted the defence

most of the signings were by the mysterious acquisitions team - not his choices

Was a dead man walking once Mel entered the dressing room to carpet everybody - after a 1-1 draw!

Several previous swansea managers failed to achieve any bounce

he won at Anfield, and got a draw at united - which would have been a win but for a cheating dive for a pen.

he was learning the job at derby and has settled into it at swansea and has done well.

whether he can repeat it again remains to be seen as swansea are now losing their better players.

16 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Seen a few people tweet that, made me chuckle!

From now on every Swansea signing could have been us as Clement guaranteed us promotion and forget how they have become a fairly established Premier League side now, £16m Clucas anyone?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Sorted the defence

most of the signings were by the mysterious acquisitions team - not his choices

Was a dead man walking once Mel entered the dressing room to carpet everybody - after a 1-1 draw!

Several previous swansea managers failed to achieve any bounce

he won at Anfield, and got a draw at united - which would have been a win but for a cheating dive for a pen.

he was learning the job at derby and has settled into it at swansea and has done well.

whether he can repeat it again remains to be seen as swansea are now losing their better players.

I'm not going to say on the forum what I know about Mel going into the dressing room but that's definitely not what happened.

Also, he only sorted out the defence by playing almost completely risk free football and having Jason Shackell, a PL standard CB at the time, given to him to help organise the defence.

42 minutes ago, David said:

Seen a few people tweet that, made me chuckle!

From now on every Swansea signing could have been us as Clement guaranteed us promotion and forget how they have become a fairly established Premier League side now, £16m Clucas anyone?

People treating a loan signing for a bloke they've only ever seen on Ultimate Team like Clement's won the FA Cup and that could have been us.

17 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I actually can't answer your question as he only got a few games with us and wasn't really afforded the time so we wil never know if he would have been any good here.

Just now, BathRam72 said:

I actually can't answer your question as he only got a few games with us and wasn't really afforded the time so we wil never know if he would have been any good here.

Oh and I am neither liked or disliked the guy, before you start.

Archived