Nugent

Mos_Ram

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Nugent scored 8 goals last season in all competitions, the previous season he scored just 5 in all competitions. The 13/14 season he scored 22 goals. The 12/13 he scored 16, the 11/12 season he scored 16. So yeah he has a proven track record if you count 3-5 seasons ago but the last 2 seasons the goals have dried up. Ok he's been a useful player. Thing is he's now 3 months shy of 32 years of age and we've got him til age 34. Some players can still cut it, most have lost a yard of pace. To me this is not the sure fire signing that most on here seem to be getting excited about. It could easily be another 2,5 million peed up the proverbial and boy are we doing a lot of that these last few transfer windows. No doubt we're paying him silly wages too. All very well if he can still cut the mustard but let's not get carried away and exercise some caution. 

Be fair - 14/15 he was playing in the Prem and Messi would struggle to score for Karanka's Boro. 

And I'd imagine that we've signed him for his link-up more than his pace or goal scoring exploits. 

2 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

You might argue that this is a relatively cheap gamble worth taking. Personally I'd have thought a loan to the end of the season would have been a better option, especially if we're pinning our hopes on getting Martin back.

If he was fit and playing and did okay it'd be easy to sell him on at the end of this season if we wanted to - same as a loan really but with the stability that buying a player gives? It's not really spunking money in the way Vydra and Blackman are. I imagine the style of play and experience he brings would cost quite a bit more in a younger model (even as a loan).

I don't think anyone believes Nugent is going to be a runaway success...I doubt Mac thought that or bought him for that reason..... He was brought in as cover for bent and to add a different type of striker to him whilst martin is away.

I'd imagine that he was brought in to link up play and take over the cf role for the majority of the game with bent returning to the impact role...

He's not going to be here long term I'm sure but neither is bent due to their ages.

Hope he does come back soon as none of us have seen him play for us yet....and I'm really interested to see what his style is and how he fits in.

Nugent is very clever player. He has developed through experience the knack of knowing where to be in the box to both create and score goals. Looking at his recent scoring record is a bit misleading as he did not start many matches but had few minutes hear and there. As we can see with Bent a goalscorer's instinct never really goes away.

Even if the difference is just creating or scoring 3 or 4 match 'winning' goals (he could potentially gaining us a 'possible' 12 extra points). His previous record suggests he scores once every 3 and bit games. We have 17 games left. If he kept up that scoring record that would net him 5 to 6 goals so 3 or 4 is possible. 

Let's just give him chance.

On 04/02/2017 at 22:16, Roboram said:

I've heard a rumour that he's out for the season.

The club are keeping it hush hush though 

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-injury-news-updates-on-bryson-johnson-nugent-and-hughes-ahead-of-leicester-replay/story-30118536-detail/story.html

Meanwhile, striker David Nugent has an outside chance of facing his former club.

Nugent has not featured since suffering a knee injury on his Derby debut at Leeds United last month, following his £2.5m move from Middlesbrough.

"He has come through two days training and did everything today (Tuesday)," said McClaren.

"We will have a look tomorrow (Wednesday) and see if he has had any reaction."

All too hush hush for me :sleep:

On Saturday, February 04, 2017 at 22:16, Roboram said:

I've heard a rumour that he's out for the season.

The club are keeping it hush hush though 

Awkward. :lol:

1 hour ago, rynny said:

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-injury-news-updates-on-bryson-johnson-nugent-and-hughes-ahead-of-leicester-replay/story-30118536-detail/story.html

Meanwhile, striker David Nugent has an outside chance of facing his former club.

Nugent has not featured since suffering a knee injury on his Derby debut at Leeds United last month, following his £2.5m move from Middlesbrough.

"He has come through two days training and did everything today (Tuesday)," said McClaren.

"We will have a look tomorrow (Wednesday) and see if he has had any reaction."

All too hush hush for me :sleep:

Ouch :D

On 5 February 2017 at 12:59, smiths_tavrn said:

http://www.wdsport.co.uk/2016/07/how-watfords-25-man-premier-league-squad-is-shaping-up/

The above link shows you how silly Derby were with the fees they paid for Vydra and Anya. Watford needed to shed 5 of their foreign players before transfer deadline day. They couldn't be included in their matchday squad and were effectively dead wood. In such a situation Derby were firmly in the driving seat when it came to transfer negotiations. Yet somehow Watford managed to extract £8 million rising to £10.5 million for a player who was a flop last season and £4 million for a now 29 year old who's pulled up no trees whatsoever in the English Football league. How the hell then did Watford manage to negotiate such fees? You have to say they had our pants down good and proper. 

Amazing info and pretty scary all things considered ! ..

BUT .... As players I think they are good and have something to offer but the prices really were high for the circumstances. I can't help thinking the root of it was  Mel was doing everything he could to support the new man. I bet we will have learned from this though so let's not turn against ourselves

He looked good to me .. Passed and moved in to space with willingness. Aware of what's around him, held the ball, controlled the ball, knocked the ball down to players in white shirts. 

looked every bit the canny skilled pro we thought we were buying. And I'd bet over 5 yards he is quite a bit quicker than Bent. 

Very happy 

19 minutes ago, jono said:

He looked good to me .. Passed and moved in to space with willingness. Aware of what's around him, held the ball, controlled the ball, knocked the ball down to players in white shirts. 

looked every bit the canny skilled pro we thought we were buying. And I'd bet over 5 yards he is quite a bit quicker than Bent. 

Very happy 

Yes, I liked what I saw from him, now we need Bent to read him which I think he could or Martin and Vydra next year

Archived