Nugent

Mos_Ram

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, jono said:

He looked good to me .. Passed and moved in to space with willingness. Aware of what's around him, held the ball, controlled the ball, knocked the ball down to players in white shirts. 

looked every bit the canny skilled pro we thought we were buying. And I'd bet over 5 yards he is quite a bit quicker than Bent. 

Very happy 

Quite hopeful over Nugent from what I saw tonight...great to see a bit of hold up play and I think with more input and training we will hopefully see him bringing Russell and Bryson into goal.scoring positions.

I watched Russell drop into a couple of positions tonight before Nugent came on,in which he was perfectly placed to receive the kind of pass Martin excelled at but nothing came his way,to his frustration and mine.

I think Nugent could do us some good....

1 hour ago, Fraser_23 said:

Sorry but what did he do? 2.5mill I'm not too sure!?

Sorry but he came back from INJURY. Came on at 82 minutes and did alright. But yeah carry on slagging him... Some of our fans are jokers.. :lol:

Nugent isn't really the answer to the problem at DCFC, the lack of a top quality striker. It's been unresolved for a few seasons now. He's OK as a stop gap, due to lack of opportunities in Jan transfer window. Not very impressed with player recruitment at all though. Considering what Mel has spent since he took over, we should be alot better.

Wouldn't matter if we had Ronaldo up front we do not supply our strikers with good balls at all. So every one saying Nugent isn't the answer or he played **** in 30 mins of football and 20 Mins at Leeds is ridiculous. Blackman had no service either. As a striker you need chances, we could play Nugent for the next 5 games if he doesn't have a shot in them 5 games doesn't mean hes ****. Our strikers always have to work for there goals instead of being fed quality balls. Dwight Gayle is an okay striker but Newcastle feed him the ball all game hence why he has 20 goals half way through the season, if we had Gayle I don't think he would be above 8 goals at this stage. I don't care if my striker has 10 shots and 8 go over the bar as long as 2 go in the net. If you give a striker 1 shot a game or less he isn't going to score many goals. Butterfield had plenty of chances to get an assist last night and wasted his opportunities with bad balls straight to the CB. I think Nugent had a crappy header as a shot all game. I don't recall Vydra or Blackman having a shot.

Looked alright. Some decent hold up play and looked like a willing runner. 

There was a moment when he brought the ball down and we had the chance to break. Anya was begging for a ball slipped inside the defender and he would've been clean through, but Nugent held on to it for far too long and the chance was gone.

I'll put that down to rustiness. 

Still don't think he's a patch on Martin given how McClaren wants us to play. But he might be on a par or slightly better than Bent in that role. Definitely better than Vydra there.

For me, from last night's game I'd like to see Nugent make more effort to get into the box, rather than running the channels. Think towards the end we lacked players in the middle with him going to get the ball on the wing. He put effort in, very little end product, but we were away against a premier league side. All in all, I think he can do well for Derby, but right now I'd still play Bent ahead of him and try ease him in gently with some substitute appearances.

See, today, I'm having a good day at work and find myself in a good mood. What, then, do I do with these ludicrous comments that normally brighten my day?

Some of the posters and some of the comments on here are just absurd. Like, maybe we should cut off internet access in some of the asylums.

Nugent came on after 82 minutes. He had very little time to make an impact. He came on at a time when most of the team were going down with cramp and the most part of his time on the pitch was spent with Leicester in resurgence.

He's just come back from injury and prior to that hasn't played since May (regularly) at the latest.

But, anyway, all that aside, the guy is a waste of space, a joke, we've chucked £2.5mill down the drain and based on his few minutes vs Leeds and Leicester we should cut our losses and release him.

On a serious note, I think he's just what we need. Okay, he's not as good in this system as Martin - but, who is? He's a centre forward who likes balls into feet, can play with his back to goal, hold up the ball, link play and bring others into the game. He can run the channels, has a bit of pace and eye for goal. We've been crying out for someone like him.

We constantly criticise the fact that we always pass backwards but I believe that's because we haven't been playing with a striker who is showing for the ball. Bent plays on the shoulder, he doesn't provide options for a pass.

Nugent probably won't be the messiah and he may not score 50 goals a season. But he could be just what we need. I say we give him a chance.

Actually, to hell with that, let's write him off. (Look at me trying to fit in, eh?)

5 hours ago, Dannyboz1884 said:

Wouldn't matter if we had Ronaldo up front we do not supply our strikers with good balls at all. So every one saying Nugent isn't the answer or he played **** in 30 mins of football and 20 Mins at Leeds is ridiculous. Blackman had no service either. As a striker you need chances, we could play Nugent for the next 5 games if he doesn't have a shot in them 5 games doesn't mean hes ****. Our strikers always have to work for there goals instead of being fed quality balls. Dwight Gayle is an okay striker but Newcastle feed him the ball all game hence why he has 20 goals half way through the season, if we had Gayle I don't think he would be above 8 goals at this stage. I don't care if my striker has 10 shots and 8 go over the bar as long as 2 go in the net. If you give a striker 1 shot a game or less he isn't going to score many goals. Butterfield had plenty of chances to get an assist last night and wasted his opportunities with bad balls straight to the CB. I think Nugent had a crappy header as a shot all game. I don't recall Vydra or Blackman having a shot.

Spot on DB. The midfield keep passing sideways, instead of threading passes through to the front men. They can only do that though if the front men are making themselves available for the ball, and also by keeping possession long enough for the spaces to open up. 

48 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

By that logic you could equally say give Darren Bent the chances and he will score (he has done it before you know) or give Matěj Vydra the chances and he will score (he has done it before you know). Is it only Nugent who's capable of hitting the onion bag?

Give vydra the chances and he won't score...He hasn't before you know

4 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Looked alright. Some decent hold up play and looked like a willing runner. 

There was a moment when he brought the ball down and we had the chance to break. Anya was begging for a ball slipped inside the defender and he would've been clean through, but Nugent held on to it for far too long and the chance was gone.

I'll put that down to rustiness. 

Charitable 

Was he grinning to the home fans at the time?

52 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm afraid he quite clearly has. 20 goals in season 2012/2013 and 16 goals in season 2014/2015.

Do we have to hope this is a 'scoring season'? Or should we save our luck for next season! Seriously this is like being back in Cloughy times, making excuses for mediocre players - we don't have to put up with that any more do we Mel?!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

28 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

For a few posts I've been tempted to say engage brain before using the keyboard, Now I'm more tempted to say give your head a wobble.

I think you should have a quick look in the mirror,then back at the stats.....2 is the total for our new cf despite starting nearly half of our games this season and coming on as a sub for most of the remainder.....and under two different managers and systems,one of which under Pearson that he was bought specifically to suit.

He really would have been expected to score more accidentally than he has.

Now,I actually want him to do well,as with every other member of the team but the facts speak for themselves.

Plus and this is what seals it,it's not as though he feeds the rest of the team as a player like Martin does when he wasn't scoring....He just achieves very little.

His only hope is that he works better off Nugent...And we the player we want to see,knocking some in.

16 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

The thrust of your argument is that Nugent is a goalscorer who basically hasn't been fed the chances to score whereas Vydra couldn't score even if you put it on a plate for him. This clearly is nonsense as is born out by the facts. That's not to say both are not good players or conversely both bad players. Or maybe ones a good player and the other a bad player.

Error,not quite

Nugent has had a total of about 30mins on the pitch in comparison to vydras multiple hours....

If Nugent us in the same boat after a similar amount of time on pitch,not taking his chances,I will be equally disappointed.

6 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

We can all manipulate statistics as we feel fit. Here's one for you. Nugent 384 league starts, 135 goals. Vydra 101 league starts 44 goals. Now you'll tell me it's his link up play, lol.

ill say it again......vydras total for us is 2 goals over the season..his past goals are irrelevant.

the same goes for nugent...if he performs as badly as vydra over the same game time,then ill feel the same about him....but its hard to know after 30 minutes playing time.

both were bought,presumably on reputation and past records but its what they do for us that counts.

have another go on google....

Archived