Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie said:

By giving him a new contract?

Chris Martin is an employee of Derby County, and it is DCFC's business if they wish to offer a new contract. The fact that he is on loan at Fulham is completely irrelevant. The fact that Fulham may have an option to purchase Martin for a pre-set figure is also irrelevant.

At the end of the day, if Fulham meet the stipulated fee, then Martin would still have to accept a deal negotiated with Fulham, and would still have to sign a contract with them. If that happens, the fact that he has signed a new contract with Derby securing his future with The Rams becomes irrelevant.

The ball is still in Fulham's court. If they keep Martin for the rest of the season, then there is the second half of the loan fee becomes due. What is interesting is if Fulham would be paying all of Martin's enhanced salary between now and the end of the season, or whether the difference between what he was earning in August to what he is reported to be earning now would be paid by Derby.

I don't know that, you don't know that - only @toddy does.

No, not by giving him a new contract, but by including his words in the resultant press release.

Speculating on how much, if any, of Martin's improved contract Fulham are now liable for is not for me.

We've behaved poorly in this matter, it may be in the long term interests of DCFC, but that doesn't make it right.

You may think that as long as we're OK, sod everyone else, but naively perhaps, I'd like us to treat other clubs how I'd wish us to be treated ourselves.

Reckon he's not playing tomorrow. Would be great news if he's back by Tuesday 22.59pm. 

And we'll have another great options once he's in the team... Plenty options upfront. ?

1 hour ago, BartyRamsfan1969 said:

Bad move, he had 3 seasons to get us in the prem, Failed. Arrogant, lazy and only interested in Derby cos his wife settled in the area with the kids. Should have sold to Fulham while he is doing well for them and bought a more exciting footballer like Jorden Ibe. Another season built around Martin guarantees you more Championship football and increased sales of chewing gum in Duffield. ☹️

Yeh but he was player manager at a young age....oh wait... 

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

We could be doing worse. I honestly don't think we would be doing better with him in the side instead of bent.

Infact I think bent has done well in that role and deserves to keep the spot.

I've nothing against DB but you can't be serious that he is the better option in the system we play. 

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

No, not by giving him a new contract, but by including his words in the resultant press release.

Speculating on how much, if any, of Martin's improved contract Fulham are now liable for is not for me.

We've behaved poorly in this matter, it may be in the long term interests of DCFC, but that doesn't make it right.

You may think that as long as we're OK, sod everyone else, but naively perhaps, I'd like us to treat other clubs how I'd wish us to be treated ourselves.

Which bit of the following is winding you up?

“At the start of this season I was not in the previous manager’s plans, which is a decision that I completely understood and respected.

“As a result I had the opportunity to move to Fulham on loan, which gave me the chance to play first-team football elsewhere.

“I am thankful that the board only allowed the move on a temporary basis, because I really didn’t want to leave Derby and my family is settled in the area too.

“Derby County is a fantastic club with so many things going for it and driven desire to reach the Premier League. I am very happy that the club and the manager see me as part of the long-term future. I am committed to being as successful as I possibly can be with Derby County.

“I enjoyed playing under Steve McClaren in the past and I feel that he got the best out of me, so I look forward to doing so as soon as possible.”

I presume that the words that are rankling with you are - 'as soon as possible' - but that does not stipulate a time. You have assumed that it means "I want to come home now, and I will do my damnedest to make sure that happens". My assumption, without having anything else to go on, is that it means "I want to come home as soon as possible".

Only time will tell.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

We could be doing worse. I honestly don't think we would be doing better with him in the side instead of bent.

Infact I think bent has done well in that role and deserves to keep the spot.

bent has done a brilliant job and he is the consummate poacher with the ability to come on and score that goal just when you need it...

however,he doesnt hold up the ball and distribute it in the manner that mac clearly wants.....mac didnt want martin back because they are bezzie mates,its because hes the best way to enable his vision of the derby way to work how he wants it to.

bent still has a valuable place in the squad and shouldnt feel devalued but be under no illusion,martin is macs first choice and we forget that bent was only brought in because martin was injured in the first place.

Which bit of the following is winding you up?

I presume that the words that are rankling with you are - 'as soon as possible' - but that does not stipulate a time. You have assumed that it means "I want to come home now, and I will do my damnedest to make sure that happens". My assumption, without having anything else to go on, is that it means "I want to come home as soon as possible".

Only time will tell.

All of it, there's no reason for any quotes from Martin anywhere in the announcement.

In fact, until the window shuts there's no need for a deal to be announced at all.

Poor Fulham. 

As prolific as Martin has been for us, I surely can't be the only one wondering if any one player is worth all this trouble.

Given this whole saga has been played out in public, we could have conducted ourselves a lot better.

Martin has an excellent record here and it was a huge gamble to let him leave on loan and go in a new direction.

However I don't see the excitement in knowing he's here for another three years, as it's effectively consigning us to three more years of being the division's nearly men. He is a top Championship player but is he really going to elevate us beyond that? Even if he returned tomorrow, I wouldn't be any more confident of promotion.

People are building him up way too much and only fuelling the pressure on him to come back and perform.

Difference between when he first came here and now is that he was rebuilding his career then. He could just play without a care, but now proving himself deserving of a big new contract and meeting huge expectations to be the main man again may weigh heavily on him.

What if he returns and performs like the much-maligned Vydra has this season? £30k a week until 2020 will look a bit steep then.

Not disputing that he's an excellent player for this level but this could all very well blow up in our faces if he doesn't fire us to promotion in the not too distant future.

3 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

If he does come back then what????? Drop Bent?????

Personally im not sure. DB has done well and it would be harsh to drop him. And then theres Nugent...and Vydra....and Blackman.

im sure he will drop bent as a starter.....but he will still be coming on as sub as and when required,together with nugent,who will no doubt be taking on bents role when he chooses to retire.

i still cant see a future for blackman though and vydra might as well pack his suitcase...( i dont mean to be callous there,i like him very much but he just doesnt fit)

1 minute ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

If he does come back then what????? Drop Bent?????

Personally im not sure. DB has done well and it would be harsh to drop him. And then theres Nugent...and Vydra....and Blackman.

I think Vydra and Blackman are in a strange position. Not McLaren signings and neither have really shown any sort of form. McLaren has used Vydra out on the left as a sub for Russell for the most part so maybe trying to find room for him as he doesn't trust him up front on his own.

I agree Bent has done well but he isn't the kind of forward to hold the ball up and my opinion is that our side is screaming out for someone that can hold up/link up the play from a forward position.

Just now, reveldevil said:

All of it, there's no reason for any quotes from Martin anywhere in the announcement.

In fact, until the window shuts there's no need for a deal to be announced at all.

I wasn't aware that there was a confidentiality agreement which prevented the announcement of a deal.

It strikes me that if Martin has signed a new deal, then announcing it would put the minds of a lot of supporters at rest - the fans who rate Chris Martin, anyway. Equally, it pisses off those who don't rate or like the bloke. The amount of tripe that has been posted in this thread has been considerable - yet really the flames have been stoked by only perhaps 4 or 5 people who have maintained the "Chris Martin has played his last game for Derby - get over it" line throughout.

I for one am absulutely delighted that Chris Martin will be coming back to Derby. If I have to wait until August to see him pull the shirt on again, so be it. The fact that I now know that he will be playing for Derby again is, in my opinion, a good thing, and for that reason alone, I am delighted that his words have been included in the press release.

I wasn't aware that there was a confidentiality agreement which prevented the announcement of a deal.

It strikes me that if Martin has signed a new deal, then announcing it would put the minds of a lot of supporters at rest - the fans who rate Chris Martin, anyway. Equally, it pisses off those who don't rate or like the bloke. The amount of tripe that has been posted in this thread has been considerable - yet really the flames have been stoked by only perhaps 4 or 5 people who have maintained the "Chris Martin has played his last game for Derby - get over it" line throughout.

I for one am absulutely delighted that Chris Martin will be coming back to Derby. If I have to wait until August to see him pull the shirt on again, so be it. The fact that I now know that he will be playing for Derby again is, in my opinion, a good thing, and for that reason alone, I am delighted that his words have been included in the press release.

I'm delighted at him signing up too, just not so enthusiastic about the press release.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Poor Fulham. 

As prolific as Martin has been for us, I surely can't be the only one wondering if any one player is worth all this trouble.

Given this whole saga has been played out in public, we could have conducted ourselves a lot better.

Martin has an excellent record here and it was a huge gamble to let him leave on loan and go in a new direction.

However I don't see the excitement in knowing he's here for another three years, as it's effectively consigning us to three more years of being the division's nearly men. He is a top Championship player but is he really going to elevate us beyond that? Even if he returned tomorrow, I wouldn't be any more confident of promotion.

People are building him up way too much and only fuelling the pressure on him to come back and perform.

Difference between when he first came here and now is that he was rebuilding his career then. He could just play without a care, but now proving himself deserving of a big new contract and meeting huge expectations to be the main man again may weigh heavily on him.

What if he returns and performs like the much-maligned Vydra has this season? £30k a week until 2020 will look a bit steep then.

Not disputing that he's an excellent player for this level but this could all very well blow up in our faces if he doesn't fire us to promotion in the not too distant future.

Some fair points there but the comparison to how Vdrya's performed doesn't really stack up. Vydra hasn't performed because he's largely been used either out of position or in cameo roles. We ain't gonna bring CM back and play him on the wing or bring him on for the last 10 minutes. We're gonna play to his strengths and utilise his link up play.

The air must be pretty thin on the moral high ground where a few fans are living.  Best be careful they don't tumble and hurt themselves.  Its just panto and part of the entertainment that is football.  I think a few just need to get a bit of perspective and start taking all of this a lot less seriously.  

Chris Martin left the club/was pushed out by a former manager who didn't fancy him in the team. If that manager had stayed then I guess CM wouldn't have wanted to come back and wouldn't have come back. The context has changed. He is still our player and I really don't see the fuss (period) in us trying to get him back if the new manager thinks he still has something to offer.  For those whom have doubts, or those who have faith or those that aren't sure, the only thing to do is wait and see.  Assuming he starts next season for us, then you can all wait with fingers poised over the keyboards after the first 90 mins to say... 'I told you so' whichever way it pans out.

Still can't understand the euphoria surrounding him coming back. 

A bloke who didnt score in 23 games for us before he left.

Whos attitude and demeanour on the pitch was awful and that of a player that didn't want to be here. 

A player who is approaching 30 and whos best days are probably behind him and we've seen already. 

No other club is this reliant on a player. Its really strange. There could be better players out there in the lower leagues. But we'll never know. 

Look at Burnley. Had Austin. Replaced with Ings. Lost Ings replaced with Gray. 

Each time each striker has improved them.

Giving him a 3 year deal is strange. 

Archived