Ipswich Town v Derby County match day thread

DEL

6 minutes ago, admira said:

I'm in the away fans pub and the landlord said Derby are the only club that when he rings up won't tell him how many tickets they have sold. He likes to know to make sure he has enough staff on which is understandable. 

Eventually he lady told him 1,000 which sounds high and he police told him 300. 

Anyone got a figure?

Blimey I'm struggling to remember a game after four pints, you'll be well on your way admire if you're supping now 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Reread my own post back and it sounds like I was having a pop. That certainly wasn't my intention Curtains. Apologies if you thought as much!! Only having sat in the away end up there it's not the best view of a game I've had

No apology needed but thanks anyway for that  .

No it is very high up isn't it. 

It will be my first away game this season so I'm looking forward to it  

25 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Blimey I'm struggling to remember a game after four pints, you'll be well on your way admire if you're supping now 

I'm in the posh seats with the Ipswich lot having me prawn sandwich in an hours time with a few pints of Adnams, so when we score, come full time they will no doubt guess who I support. :lol:

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Id take a bet on olsson picking up an injury, and whoever covers for him to pick up an injury.

We haven't seen any sun for days .. It could be you have a dose of SAD .. Or possibly there is some Scandy blood in your veins Radioactive ? ... It's going to be fine, even without Hughes, and the ball boy on coming on at left back .. We can beat these. Vydra gets a 90+3 winner ... It could happen. 

14 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I'm in the posh seats with the Ipswich lot having me prawn sandwich in an hours time with a few pints of Adnams, so when we score, come full time they will no doubt guess who I support. :lol:

Adnams. (That was an effort with predictive). Good choice Zag Zig. I'll be supping tomorrow evening, toasting our victory,not sure what the ales of choice  are yet 

24 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Adnams. (That was an effort with predictive). Good choice Zag Zig. I'll be supping tomorrow evening, toasting our victory,not sure what the ales of choice  are yet 

Woodfordes Wherry is a good pint when in Norfolk / Suffolk. Light but proper beery if you know what I mean 

1 hour ago, admira said:

I'm in the away fans pub and the landlord said Derby are the only club that when he rings up won't tell him how many tickets they have sold. He likes to know to make sure he has enough staff on which is understandable. 

Eventually he lady told him 1,000 which sounds high and he police told him 300. 

Anyone got a figure?

According to that Twitter thing, 415 advanced tickets sold. We'll done to all you hardy souls making the journey. Bring back 3 points (Blackman hat trick :D

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Very interested to see who starts in midfield today, very difficult decision as no one really works together without Hughes. Butterfield and Bryson have proven incapable of playing as a two, but Johnson is ineffective further forward, so I'm not sure what on earth we can do

Have they ? Because from what I can tell they've actually played very little football together (aside from when blockhead thought he'd play Butterfield on the wing). Butterfield has to play for me because he's the only advanced midfielder we have available capable of reliably retaining possession. I also think Bryson's recent performances have been getting better and he's starting to look bit more like the player knew. For me the only debate to be had is who starts as DM, Johnson was poor against Leicester and in particularly was woeful in possession. De Sart looks like he is very technically good and has really vision for a pass but doesn't look match fit yet and might not be the right game to throw him in, against a very physical Ipswich side.

20 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Have they ? Because from what I can tell they've actually played very little football together (aside from when blockhead thought he'd play Butterfield on the wing). Butterfield has to play for me because he's the only advanced midfielder we have available capable of reliably retaining possession. I also think Bryson's recent performances have been getting better and he's starting to look bit more like the player knew. For me the only debate to be had is who starts as DM, Johnson was poor against Leicester and in particularly was woeful in possession. De Sart looks like he is very technically good and has really vision for a pass but doesn't look match fit yet and might not be the right game to throw him in, against a very physical Ipswich side.

I'll agree they haven't played much together, maybe it's to do with a bit of a lack of experience playing together, but the balance hasn't looked to be right whenever I've seen them play, particularly at Fulham. Not saying either of the are/have been poor, but when they're together we don't seem to be able to hold onto possession or dictate play which makes it very hard to create anything of not other than on the counter, which is a risky way to play.

Like you say, Bryson should start after his good game against Leicester really, even tho I'm unconvinced of his ability at this level nowadays consistently still, but he deserves his chance. Butterfield would appear the only real option, unless we move Johnson further forward, but like you say he was poor last game and I think he struggles further forward. Then again it's Ipswich so he doesn't exactly have to be a world class footballer, needs a lot of fight though which he may provide, unlike de sart who would then have to come into defensive mid.

Basically put all my thoughts into words, and not made my mind up one bit!:lol: Big call for Mac tonight, and not one I'd want to have to make, covering for your best player isn't easy!

Long way to go this season, but I feel a win tonight or Saturday is a must. If we take nothing from these and with those around us strengthening in the transfer window. ( Rhodes to shed w etc). We could be cut adrift a little from the play offs. Fingers crossed for a positive result 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I'll agree they haven't played much together, maybe it's to do with a bit of a lack of experience playing together, but the balance hasn't looked to be right whenever I've seen them play, particularly at Fulham. Not saying either of the are/have been poor, but when they're together we don't seem to be able to hold onto possession or dictate play which makes it very hard to create anything of not other than on the counter, which is a risky way to play.

Is that a case of them playing together or a case of them playing together with Johnson though ? Perhaps having Hughes in midfield mitigates somewhat Johnson's clumsiness on the ball. Both Bryson and Butterfield do retain possession well, in particular Butterfield who has the best pass completion in the squad and racks up the most passes per game on average.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Like you say, Bryson should start after his good game against Leicester really, even tho I'm unconvinced of his ability at this level nowadays consistently still, but he deserves his chance. Butterfield would appear the only real option, unless we move Johnson further forward, but like you say he was poor last game and I think he struggles further forward. Then again it's Ipswich so he doesn't exactly have to be a world class footballer, needs a lot of fight though which he may provide, unlike de sart who would then have to come into defensive mid.

Personally I don't see moving Johnson further forward as an option whatsoever. I think you'd have a situation like leeds first half on your hands (albeit a lesser scale) where you have two advanced midfielders not really looking act as a link man/playmaker and putting way too much responsibility on De Sart to be a creative spark, control the midfield and shielding the back 4.  Like I said before, the only question for me is who plays as CDM. Do you go with Johnson for his physicality to counter Ipswich or do you go with De Sart for more control over the football. 

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Blackman has travelled. Another thing, I didn't see Carson in this and someone mentioned he'd looked like he was hurt during the Leicester game. Although I also didn't see Roos, so who knows!

Carson is literally one of the first people you see in that video ........

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Is that a case of them playing together or a case of them playing together with Johnson though ? Perhaps having Hughes in midfield mitigates somewhat Johnson's clumsiness on the ball. Both Bryson and Butterfield do retain possession well, in particular Butterfield who has the best pass completion in the squad and racks up the most passes per game on average.

Personally I don't see moving Johnson further forward as an option whatsoever. I think you'd have a situation like leeds first half on your hands (albeit a lesser scale) where you have two advanced midfielders not really looking act as a link man/playmaker and putting way too much responsibility on De Sart to be a creative spark, control the midfield and shielding the back 4.  Like I said before, the only question for me is who plays as CDM. Do you go with Johnson for his physicality to counter Ipswich or do you go with De Sart for more control over the football. 

Agree with most of this, my point was them playing together with Johnson is the problem yeah- if Hughes is in the team there's no problem, the issue is replacing his footballing ability- not nesserily the passing, but the time he creates while he's in the ball for others.

Would go for Johnson 100% tonight, de sart isn't totally fit yet IMO and we need battlers so despite his recent poor game, Johnson is the most suited

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree with most of this, my point was them playing together with Johnson is the problem yeah- if Hughes is in the team there's no problem, the issue is replacing his footballing ability- not nesserily the passing, but the time he creates while he's in the ball for others.

The thing is it that even with Hughes there, there is still something of a problem controlling the game with Johnson in midfield. It's just mitigated because Hughes is a master at creating time and space for other players around. For me the issue is probably Johnson rather than the lack of Hughes. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would go for Johnson 100% tonight, de sart isn't totally fit yet IMO and we need battlers so despite his recent poor game, Johnson is the most suited

I think I agree with you here. De Sart needs time to get up to speed and a grueling physical battle against Ipswich probably isn't the right game to introduce him.

Archived