Ipswich Town v Derby County match day thread

DEL

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The thing is it that even with Hughes there, there is still something of a problem controlling the game with Johnson in midfield. It's just mitigated because Hughes is a master at creating time and space for other players around. For me the issue is probably Johnson rather than the lack of Hughes. 

I think I agree with you here. De Sart needs time to get up to speed and a grueling physical battle against Ipswich probably isn't the right game to introduce him.

Indeed Johnson isn't the ideal sort of player for the defensive mid role, but he's the best we've got at the moment- sadly though Thorne is the perfect player and he isn't fit. Johnson is more of a shield, excellent in the tackle and breaking up play, but doesn't dictate the game like Thorne- a controller like him is what we ideally need

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Millenniumram said:

Indeed Johnson isn't the ideal sort of player for the defensive mid role, but he's the best we've got at the moment- sadly though Thorne is the perfect player and he isn't fit. Johnson is more of a shield, excellent in the tackle and breaking up play, but doesn't dictate the game like Thorne- a controller like him is what we ideally need

Your right he's definitely looked like the best we've got (too soon to say either way on De Sart). The thing is we don't necessarily need the DM to be a controller like Thorne (i.e. a playmaker spraying passes and looking to open up a defence), what we need from them is to be comfortable receiving the ball and then accurately finding a white shirt without hesitation, i.e. retaining possession. And it is that what is letting Johnson down, he is just isn't reliable enough when it comes to retaining the ball.

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

Adnams. (That was an effort with predictive). Good choice Zag Zig. I'll be supping tomorrow evening, toasting our victory,not sure what the ales of choice  are yet 

Actually it's Aspall's but I was close?

Archived