Ipswich Town v Derby County match day thread

DEL

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we play de Sart I'd actually play him in the Will role also, he was a liability defensively in Leeds and Reading games. Butterfield may come in though, although he was crap when he came on Friday - Derby's worst player on the night for me.

If Martin is back for tues, I can imagine any stick he gets from Ipswich (which will be a lot) will be a drop in the Ocean to what he's going to get from Fulham fans today!!

53 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If we play de Sart I'd actually play him in the Will role also, he was a liability defensively in Leeds and Reading games. Butterfield may come in though, although he was crap when he came on Friday - Derby's worst player on the night for me.

If Martin is back for tues, I can imagine any stick he gets from Ipswich (which will be a lot) will be a drop in the Ocean to what he's going to get from Fulham fans today!!

Butterfield was poor but we have little else in there currently and it shows how much we miss Hendrick 

I'm expecting to see..

Carson

Baird       Keogh     Pearce      Olson

Johnson    De Sarte       Bryson

Ince        Bent        Russell   

My speculations ....

Bryson's nascent return to form looks like keeping him a place. I would think he will go for Butterfield as his passing is better than Johnno. .. Then it's a choice of Johnno or De Saart at DM. I like de Saart but think Johnsons strength will be preferred considering it's a Macarthy team. Bent is scoring so Nugent will get a debut off the bench. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

My speculations ....

Bryson's nascent return to form looks like keeping him a place. I would think he will go for Butterfield as his passing is better than Johnno. .. Then it's a choice of Johnno or De Saart at DM. I like de Saart but think Johnsons strength will be preferred considering it's a Macarthy team. Bent is scoring so Nugent will get a debut off the bench. 

Did Nugent's appearance against Leeds not count as his debut? :ph34r::lol:

Our line up the last time we drew at Ipswich:

David McKellar
Dave Langan
Keith Osgood
Roy McFarland
Steve Buckley
Steve Powell
Gerry Daly
Barry Powell
Alan Biley
Dave Swindlehurst
Paul Emson

I was there and believe that Paul Cooper saved three penalties

9 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I'm expecting to see..

Carson

Baird       Keogh     Pearce      Olson

Johnson    De Sarte       Bryson

Ince        Bent        Russell   

Agreed. Butterfield will be sold in the summer especially if SM finds an alternative target to Lansbury.

Would expect to see :

Carson

Baird   Keogh   Pearce   Olsson

Johnson

Butterfield   Bryson

Ince                               Russell

Bent

The Leeds game showed the flaw of playing Johnson and Bryson in the two slightly more advanced roles together - particuarly away from home. We NEED somebody who can hold on to the ball - Johnson and Bryson are not natural ball players. Bryson is a breaker from midfield and Johnson, when played more advanced, is too. I happen to think Johnson played his best football under Clement there and that that's his best role (but that's just me).

We have had the luxury of the best ball playing central midfielder in the league in Hughes so Butterfield is always going to be a downgrade - who wouldn't be? But I'd like to see Butterfield play so that we at least have someone who can keep hold of the ball when we're under pressure (admittedly, he hasn't been great at that in recent times). Johnson will hold and I think his added steel is good away from home although, in the long term would move him forward alongside Hughes with De Saart in behind.

That side is set up well away from home. I'd prefer to see Nugent up top (his hold up play is better) and Christie at RB to offer a counter threat but, all in good time. First things first, let's be able to kee hold of the ball away! Leeds was embarassing. Will be a tough game against a side and manager looking to prove a point. COYR!

1 hour ago, admira said:

Our line up the last time we drew at Ipswich:

David McKellar
Dave Langan
Keith Osgood
Roy McFarland
Steve Buckley
Steve Powell
Gerry Daly
Barry Powell
Alan Biley
Dave Swindlehurst