Derby County v Reading match day thread.

DEL

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

How did we play? Statistics favour Reading, my Reading mate who was there said they completely ran it for the first 30 minutes and another goal in that time and they would have gone on to cruise it.

But a goal against the run of play completely changed the game.

Yeah he's bang on. Our equaliser changed the game. We were in control until they got one back and we ended up with 6 defenders on the pitch! But I think we edged it. 

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

How did we play? Statistics favour Reading, my Reading mate who was there said they completely ran it for the first 30 minutes and another goal in that time and they would have gone on to cruise it.

This statistic doesn't.

3-2derby.png

First 30 mins they had an easy time of it and deservedly took the lead. A bit of Keogh magic and luck got us back into the game against the run of play. We went on to be the better team for the remaining 10-15 mins of the first half. They came out the better team 2nd half but a sloppy mistake from them led to us taking the lead. We then took full control and created a few more chances before Hughes put us 3-1 up. I'd say we were still the better team for a short while after the 3rd and then they got a goal against the run of play from a corner. Then, as you'd expect, the rest of the game was spent in our half.

Decent performance, nothing special, but to come back from a losing position against a very good Reading team when we were without Johnson and had a really lightweight midfield (which showed throughout the game) is bloody brilliant. 

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Reading spent too much time time wasting and in the first half particularly fouling us. Once we got playing we were the better team- Reading did have a very good 25 minute spell in the  first half. They also seemed happy to go down easily to win free kicks - overall a miserable team and i am glad we beat their tactics.

All possibly true bris but once we scored we entered the game - just a confidence thing to be fair 

Hopefully a really important win for a season - another loss after the Leeds game and the moaners would really have been out in force. 

Yes, after a bright first few minutes we were out passed and out-thought until the unlikely combination of Keogh and an off balance Bent somehow got us level. 

After that great commitment with Hughes, Russell, Ince to the fore. Couple of good saves from Carson too - Keogh and Pearce put bodies on the line as expected. 

We're far from the finished article and de Sart conceded a couple of needless free kicks in dangerous positions in a nervy game. 

But..we're right in the play-off hunt, Christie's back on the pitch, we have a fit left back again, Butterfield and Johnson are soon back from suspension, Thorne will surface again one day and it's looking good tonight ! 

Carson, - nothing special

barid - sensible as always

pearce - ok

keogh - ok

olsson - nice to have a left back on the pitch, decent going forward, disappeared for readings first

de sart - some good some bad, learning basically 

bryson - engine looked good today which gave Ince the chance for his goal

hughes - decent

russell - created third goal and saved a reading goal ( thank you)

ince - nice goal and looked likely 

bent - scored so can't moan 

good game of football which Derby entered once we scored, I thought Reading looked very decent and if they added a proper centre forward they would be dangerous.

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

but they didnt score and didnt, looked easily rattled once we scored. Very poor tactics from them trying to time waste and slow the game down, then suddenly got all mardy once they went behind if they thought we were wasting time.

First 25-30 mins we were never in it. Once we started playing football and pressing them they went to pot. Dominated the remainder of the game a part from the last 10 mins where they threw everything at us.

that Ref was absolutely clueless and doesn't deserve to be in a position to refere a match ever again.

anyone who says JR was crap today or want interested should get down to spec savers because your blind and stupid.

not the best performance we've ever shown but three points and it was pretty solid overall

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We were dreadful for the first 25 minutes but the goal changed everything, we woke up and started pressuring them and from there on out I'd say we were the better team and deserved to win it. If it wasn't for the ref we'd have probably cruised it

Incredibly inconsistent refereeing today, very weak referee. What on earth he was doing getting involved and making us throw the ball back to them when johnny got a kick in the ribs i dont know, their dodgy keeper only kicked it out under pressure from us, very poor indeed.

19 minutes ago, TopRam said:

1 game.... Russell didn't even look bothered today 

He had one of his best games for some time.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

He had one of his best games for some time.

I've been massively critical of Russell recently but anyone saying he was poor today has something against him. Thought he was very good today, sometimes struggled to get on the ball but when he did he almost always made something happen which is exactly what I've been moaning about him not doing. Well done to johnny as well as Ince and Hughes who were once again superb

WhAt a difference hughes makes. Decent selection by Mac, not that he had many options with all the injuries and suspensions, but good to see Pearce nd russell back. 

And what a difference a goal makes we were a different team once bent got the first. 

Reading  looked very shaky at the back ... Gave it away many times passing out of the back four.

the ref was an absolute shambles ... Luckily he didn't cost us the game but every 50/50 tackle went against us. 

Archived