Derby County v Reading match day thread.

DEL

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

How did we play? Statistics favour Reading, my Reading mate who was there said they completely ran it for the first 30 minutes and another goal in that time and they would have gone on to cruise it.

But a goal against the run of play completely changed the game.

They were on top for first 30 mins , then they were blown away after that. Reading poor defensively. Mind you we conceded again from a corner free header again. 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

WhAt a difference hughes makes. Decent selection by Mac, not that he had many options with all the injuries and suspensions, but good to see Pearce nd russell back. 

And what a difference a goal makes we were a different team once bent got the first. 

Reading  looked very shaky at the back ... Gave it away many times passing out of the back four.

the ref was an absolute shambles ... Luckily he didn't cost us the game but every 50/50 tackle went against us. 

I think thats the point many were 50/50 tackles and thats all, although to be fair i am not even convinced there was much in the tackle in hughes towards the end that got their player sent off, likewise would like to see the ince yellow at the end too, looked 50/50 to me.

outplayed at the start. exactly as michael johnson said their 5 outnumbered our 3 in the middle and ince and russell needed to tuck in.

in the end their change to cynical, dirty, leeds type fouling woke us up - if not the referee who was poor. 

Good win. Great three points.

Good game. Massive win for us, everyone worked their socks off.

Russell has been poor all season, but that was his best game. Played very well. Hopefully being dropped vs Leeds gave him a kick up the backside.

Ince was just brilliant today, didn't stop running all game and his goal was a fantastic finish. Deserved MOTM.

1 hour ago, TopRam said:

Russell has been awful again

Not only graceless and unnecessary when we were winning the game at the time of the comment, but also completely false. As others have said JR's best game in ages. Even the people next to me who absolutely hate him were heard to say 'well played Johnny' on at least two occasions.... which means he must've played pretty well.

its amazing how different sets of fans see different things, a quick look on their forum and seems they only lost due to derbys cheating, time wasting and an incompetent ref.

Carson, 6  - Could do nothing with the goals really. Otherwise ok  

Baird 7. Solid, but no help going forward, however, positionally spot on. 

Pearce 7 - Battled well against their aerial bombardment. Not sure if he was at fault for the second goal though, will have to see it back. 

Keogh 7 - As Pearce but also some very good attacking balls and kept the momentum going. 

Olson 7 - nice to have a left back on the pitch, decent going forward, disappeared for readings first.  Agreed. 

De Sart- 6 - some good some bad, positioning needs more discipline and his passing is not as good as advertised. 

Bryson 5 - Anonymous most of the game. Looked light weight and off the pace. Had a brief good spell.  

Hughes 8 - Pressured, passed, tackled and was doing the job of 2 for most of the game, finished with a well taken goal. 

Russell 8 - As most of you know I'm not his biggest fan, but gave him a standing ovation when he went off. Best he's played all season for me and exactly what we need. Shame he didn't get his goal but created third goal and saved a reading goal.

Ince 8 - My norm. Worked tirelessly and gave their back line a torrid time. Tracked back and fought well.  Added a nice goal and never stopped for 90 mins. 

Bent 7 - Scored so can't moan, but just thinking what we could have with a real hold up man. Worked hard and was rewarded with a goal. 

All subs were right to hold on, however was wondering why we left it so late as some were obviously knackered 10 mins before. 

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think thats the point many were 50/50 tackles and thats all, although to be fair i am not even convinced there was much in the tackle in hughes towards the end that got their player sent off, likewise would like to see the ince yellow at the end too, looked 50/50 to me.

Yes but sending their player off in the 96 th minute and then still playing on til the 99th minute was just typical of a truly shambolic performance by the ref. 

He should have booked reading players in the first half but he failed to control that. There were two fouls on Derby players in the build up to the reading first goal, neither of them given even as fouls leave alone a booking. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

its amazing how different sets of fans see different things, a quick look on their forum and seems they only lost due to derbys cheating, time wasting and an incompetent ref.

THEY thought the ref was incompetent! Jesus Christ he may as well have had a reading shirt on with some of those decisions, seemed so hell bent on them getting a point I thought he'd pull a pen out of nowhere towards the end!

Well they suddenly stopped time wasting didn't they? 

I thought we were just going to keep playing until Reading scored. Even forced to throw the ball back to them after another terrible Al Habsi pass.

Reminded me of Sheffield Wednesday. Quite pretty passing but we just sat in and then saw them off. 

The only pressure came from constant free kicks really. 

Knew their corner was going to end in a goal. Saw the panic as Bryson and Co saw a free man just a second before the corner was being taken. 

Don't think Bent was lucky with the finish. He may not have struck the ball but he knew how to steer it in. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Well they 

Don't think Bent was lucky with the finish. He may not have struck the ball but he knew how to steer it in. 

I think his man snake headed that one home.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

They were at an U23's game played at the Madejski? 

They time wasted from the opening minutes until 2-1 down. We must have had 3 free kicks in the second half? 

Well I ain't got too many complaints. After reading some of the latest comments I'd start with saying trust my forum - Royals Rendezvous - where there is no sign of sour grapes and where cheating or time-wasting hasn't been mentioned not once; some other sites haven't the same social grace I'm sorry to say. Nothing wrong with giving credit where it's due ...

Whilst it was good to hear Reading putting on a good display first half we also knew perfectly we had frailties. I'd written previously on here about our dangerous passing around at the back, and that we could be found out against fast strikers and generally good teams. Possession helps but is not everything, especially if you don't finish off the moves. Our fans are clamouring for a striker/strikers to come in this window, and if they don't we will probably struggle in these winter months. I'd also given my opinion that we've been over-achieving, not something to complain about after two mediocre seasons, but I think honestly that play-offs will be very touch and go. And top two is just a dream too far ... not anti-Reading, just trying to be realistic.

Enjoy the pints (and points!) lads this evening. Thanks for accepting me so well, and back before long. :thumbsup:

Great game. It wasn't too difficult to call a sending off today although thought it could have been one of ours at anytime during the gritty spells. Carsons distribution was brilliant for the second ( the long throw out to the left wing).  Twa pwa. One we go. 

42 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I'm struggling to think of a Reading chance minus their two goals a decent ball across the face of goal near the end. Unless pea rollers to Carson count as chances these days! 

"We've got the ball", their fans "chant". Well get better with it then, awful for our second 

56 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

If they hadnt had a man sent off in the 96th minute they would have got an equaliser then? Did they question why we played 99 mnutes then? becaue of the incompetent ref who thankfully did not cost us the game.

30 minutes ago, daib0 said:

Well I ain't got too many complaints. After reading some of the latest comments I'd start with saying trust my forum - Royals Rendezvous - where there is no sign of sour grapes and where cheating or time-wasting hasn't been mentioned not once; some other sites haven't the same social grace I'm sorry to say. Nothing wrong with giving credit where it's due ...

Whilst it was good to hear Reading putting on a good display first half we also knew perfectly we had frailties. I'd written previously on here about our dangerous passing around at the back, and that we could be found out against fast strikers and generally good teams. Possession helps but is not everything, especially if you don't finish off the moves. Our fans are clamouring for a striker/strikers to come in this window, and if they don't we will probably struggle in these winter months. I'd also given my opinion that we've been over-achieving, not something to complain about after two mediocre seasons, but I think honestly that play-offs will be very touch and go. And top two is just a dream too far ... not anti-Reading, just trying to be realistic.

Enjoy the pints (and points!) lads this evening. Thanks for accepting me so well, and back before long. :thumbsup:

Yes there was plenty of kamikaze passing from Readings back line, keepers distribution was terrible .. when he claimed to have kicked the ball out because Johnny russell was injured nobody believed him cos his kicking was sh 1te all game  

Archived