Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

1 minute ago, feisty said:

See earlier, I'd sell all 3 and buy a new right winger to compete with Ince. I'd have Anya and Camara battling for left wing; and Ince + AN Other on the right.

We have too many left wingers and not enough on the right

How do you sell all 3? How will you sell Blackman and Weimann?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Right, I'm not claiming to be ITK, but as I mentioned in the Lansbury thread I do live in Birmingham. I'm just relaying something that I've heard.

My flat mates boyfriends mate works at St Andrews and he told me that he saw an expensive car there yesterday with the number plate 'RUS E11'. He said that it had two stickers on the bumper.

One sticker said "Baby on board" and the other said "I DO have an end product and I definitely am a top 6 player, Derby have got into the top 6 two out of the three seasons I've been here, and I've been a key part of those teams, producing assists, goals, nice link up play and been an asset when defending. I'm only unpopular with some fans because I am so popular with little kids and grown men with IQ's below 80 who value 'running and work ethic' above anything else, not my fault I work hard, is it, ya fockin' jeb ends"

My mate said he'd have got a picture of it, but his phone didn't work because he's a fictional person with a fictional phone. As ever, I'm only telling you what I'm hearing here in Brum, please don't jump on me. Thanks, God bless.

That's me convinced £20 placed at the bookies ??

Just now, sage said:

How do you sell all 3? How will you sell Blackman and Weimann?

If you read what I originally said, I said that's what I'd ideally do but we won't shift Blackman or Weimann most likely. But the point for me is Russell is 3rd choice in my list so he can go and we lose little for me. We'd still have Anya, Camara and Weimann for left wing 

3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

That's me convinced £20 placed at the bookies ??

Think you need one of my vlogs fella! 

29 minutes ago, cannable said:

It's only this season that he's not been effective offensively. This is in a side which has been, for the most part, set up to keep a clean sheet and nick it with something special.

In 14/15 and 15/16 Russell directly contributed to 44 goals. Get Russell in a team that suits him and he produces. We were a team that suited him and it's as clear as day that we are rebuilding ourselves into something akin to what we once were and so will suit him once more. 

Half a season of bad form in a defensive team shouldn't be stopping people from seeing the bigger picture. People are far too quick to blame the player and not the circumstance, far too quick to write players off. 

Adapt and evolve....... 

26 minutes ago, cannable said:

It's only this season that he's not been effective offensively. This is in a side which has been, for the most part, set up to keep a clean sheet and nick it with something special.

In 14/15 and 15/16 Russell directly contributed to 44 goals. Get Russell in a team that suits him and he produces. We were a team that suited him and it's as clear as day that we are rebuilding ourselves into something akin to what we once were and so will suit him once more. 

Half a season of bad form in a defensive team shouldn't be stopping people from seeing the bigger picture. People are far too quick to blame the player and not the circumstance, far too quick to write players off. 

I don't doubt he's had an impact in the past, he was a year or two ago one of my favourite players believe it or not. However his lack of consistency has really begun to frustrate me, a lot of those goals came in short spells where he was on fire, before he went on a run of games where he's unable to play a basic pass. He's clearly more suited to our team than say Camara, and I would be cautious about letting him go, we need better than him definately- however we must make sure we have someone lined up who's clearly better than him and suits the style of play before we do sell him. It is key this window however that better is bought, 25 poor games is more than just poor form, I don't doubt he's a decent player but his impact this season hasn't been enough and one of the reasons why we haven't been scoring enough goals

17 minutes ago, feisty said:

See earlier, I'd sell all 3 and buy a new right winger to compete with Ince. I'd have Anya and Camara battling for left wing; and Ince + AN Other on the right.

We have too many left wingers and not enough on the right

So you want to buy a RW not a LW?

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

He's been poor this season, no two ways about it. Doesn't automatically mean we should sell him though.

He's a hard-working player that does his fair share of running and normally creates chances, his finishing has never been strong which is the only reason he's not playing in the Premier League.

If Brighton, a team currently better than us are wanting Russell pretty badly, is there not a chance we are simply undervaluing the contribution of our own player/s to the team?

Absolute tosh. I've struggled to remember the last time he beat a man, whipped s ball in, had a great shot tipped round the post, played a team mate in or chased back and performed a block or tackle. 

This image that he is hard working is fraud for me, if you watch him (Norwich away for one) you find him inside hiding. 

52 minutes ago, Milbs said:

Absolute tosh. I've struggled to remember the last time he beat a man, whipped s ball in, had a great shot tipped round the post, played a team mate in or chased back and performed a block or tackle. 

This image that he is hard working is fraud for me, if you watch him (Norwich away for one) you find him inside hiding. 

The Norwich away where him and Anya did a good job dealing with Norwich's wiing play and Russell was kicked from pillar to post and then taken off injured at half time? He didn't hide in that match, he played sensibly and covered Anya when he went forward. He was one of our best players in that game. He also set up Ince twice in that first half with fantastic balls forward that Ince couldn't quite take advantage of. If there was a game to use as an example for all the things you've said, the Norwich match wasn't it.

Sell him for me. Always worked hard, never hid but always been inconsistent, often does the hard work then makes wrong decision with final pass or shot. 

Think a move would do him good as well and reinvigorate his career. If he does go, I will always remember him for that goal in the 5-0! Class.

1 hour ago, Milbs said:

Birmingham

For the record he is the 2nd best winger on our books. Weimann, Anya, Camara not as good but i'm not saying JR is the answer. What i am saying is that i would sell the other 3 first but i expect little or no takers especially for Weimann unless we cut our losses.

If 3M is the believed figure i will accept so long as we go for an improvement. He embodies everything we stand for and i personally would like to offer my thanks to a top pro. All the best at Brum i expect you to do well JR.

We are a rich club, we shouldn't have to sell in order to fund an upgrade on what we have - not unless we are startlingly close to the FFP limit. If you're concerned about the squad being too big, send the likes of Weimann and Camara on loan.

This is like Martin all over again. A player ging through a rough patch of goalscoring form but still contributing to the team and fans want him gone based on the assumption we can get better. Grass isn't always greener folks.

Based on his history at the club, no one can doubt Russell is the second best winger on the books. I don't think that's the argument. 

The argument isn't sell Russell and play one of the other average, abject wingers in the squad. It's sell Russell, whose value/reputation far exceeds his ability, and bring in someone who can do the job better. In fact, someone who has the potential to go on to better things would be a nice start. 

Russell has always been inconsistent in his time here, but when he's on song he's a good player. I just don't think he has that genuine, raw ability that warrants us keeping him. I also don't believe that his work rate is so good that it should put us off selling him. Ince does more defensively than Russell, in fact, he's doubled the amount of tackles this season.

On the other players in the squad: Camara is probably the best impact player we have, which he's shown, but he looks lost whenever he has to play from the start. Weimann, despite the cries, has had chances and he hasn't taken them. Blackman, for me, could be a good player. I just don't think he'll live the price tag down. I would say for raw ability on the ball, he's better than Russell. I just don't think he's very good off the ball. 

Nugent can play wide left, which he has done in the past, but he'll probably need to be our main striker going forward. 

Ultimately, we need a player with the ability or at least the potential to match Ince day-to-day. If we can find a creative influence then it would be all the better. 

Archived