Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

Ok I'm all for selling Ince - I too feel he wouldn't fit too well into Rowett's way of thinking but I could be completely wrong - I'll leave it upto him if he's selling or keeping.

The big issue I'm worried about is if we only got 8m for our Hughes, I don't think realistically we are going to be getting anymore for Ince. I can see him selling for a similar amount or less and that's simply not going to do.

8m for Ince? F*** off. Who honestly are we going to buy and that wants to come for cheaper than this, that wouldn't just strengthen us by having both!

Give us 15m at least, just honestly, I don't see it happening if it happens, price will likely be 6-8m.

Not good enough to sell him. Keep a few of the core.

Sell/exchange/payoff the wages = shackell, pearce (I'd be happy with Bucko back + a backup and selling these two, great exchange in quality and wages...), blackman, Olsson, Christie(keep baird as the backup), Bent.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Red Ram said:

I'm probably in a pretty small minority here but personally I'd be more than happy to see Ince go. He's undoubtedly got a lot of talent but he's just not the kind of 'team player' Rowett's system requires. For example, if he PERSONALLY loses the ball he tracks back like mad, determined to try and win it back but if someone else gives away the ball he often doesn't bother. In other words it's all about him! His decision making with the ball is similarly self-centred. He freqeuuently shoots from absurd positions when he has little or no chance of scoring with team-mates in far better positions. To compound this, he also sometimes decides to try and pass for no apparent reason when he actually IS in a good shooting position. Weimman, Russell and Anya are all hard-working team players who will fit with Rowett's team ethic much more than Ince ever will. Hopefully we can use the money we get for him to strengthen further in the wide positions. Sell sell sell...

I agree. We've looked a poorer team since Ince joined. He is clearly a good player at this level, but our moves usually finish with him. That's fine if he scores 30 goals a season but he doesn't quite. I'd assert that a better player in that position would provide far more assists, rather than ratchet up the 'shots off target' statistics. I feel that we will do better without him in the side - especially if the result is £10m to spend on better players.

I've also seen quite a few posters asserting that he's not a 'Rowett type' of player. Without checking back, I reckon that Ince started most games under Rowett and Will started very few. I'd say that there's a good chance that Rowett rates Ince and he will be a key member of the team next season unless mega-money is splashed. If that's the case, at present I disagree with Rowett. Of course one of us is a football professional who's played at the top level and carved out a good career in coaching and one of us isn't...so I assume that I'm wrong.

PistoldPete2

Hughes is more valuable than ince imo, if only because of his age and versatility. 

If Mel is seriously considering selling both then FFP must be biting us very hard and only emphasising what cr@p signings we have made, ince apart of course. 

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I agree. We've looked a poorer team since Ince joined. He is clearly a good player at this level, but our moves usually finish with him. That's fine if he scores 30 goals a season but he doesn't quite. I'd assert that a better player in that position would provide far more assists, rather than ratchet up the 'shots off target' statistics. I feel that we will do better without him in the side - especially if the result is £10m to spend on better players.

I've also seen quite a few posters asserting that he's not a 'Rowett type' of player. Without checking back, I reckon that Ince started most games under Rowett and Will started very few. I'd say that there's a good chance that Rowett rates Ince and he will be a key member of the team next season unless mega-money is splashed. If that's the case, at present I disagree with Rowett. Of course one of us is a football professional who's played at the top level and carved out a good career in coaching and one of us isn't...so I assume that I'm wrong.

Being a proffesional doesn't make him right. Pearson was a proffesional and loaned out our top scorer. Clement was a proffesional and bought Johnson Blackman Butterfield and Camara.

as for Ince, did everyone forgot we haven't had Thorne, Hughes, Martin hendrick fozzy fit at the same time since he joined. Of course we looked worse with a crap left back, a headless chicken right back, no DM in a 433 and no hold up striker. 

He was the only positive player last season

11 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

At 25 he should be approaching his prime. Not the time to sell for me. 

Apparently we should because he's a lazy sulky tw.t who even though scores and creates goals has made our team poorer.

Fees for Ince quoted in some posts between 5 and 10 million and some fans would be happy with it.

Quite literally shaking my head in disbelief.

"Doesn't work hard, not a team player, ups the shots off target stats, gets assists and goals due to free kicks" 

What the actual FU.K? 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Give us £25 million and I want him gone but not for £10 million thanks 

There's a difference between wanting him Gone cause he ain't good enough, and accepting he has to go if the offer is so large it would help us improve overall like you say, which I agree with

Give us back thorne in midfield, totally fit and firing, I think Ince would be our star player even more.

I don't think Johnson has set the world alight in that position, thorne back to his best would solve that, but could easily and quickly end in another injuiry so if we do well in this position I think we get the best out of ince when we can relax and expect some quality balls to his feet.

4 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Give us back thorne in midfield, totally fit and firing, I think Ince would be our star player even more.

George Thorne is without doubt the best player in this league.

A proper midfielder who can get hold of a game and make good things happen.

If he does find the form he showed when on loan then very quickly people won't be as distraught over losing Will Hughes.

6 hours ago, Red Ram said:

I'm probably in a pretty small minority here but personally I'd be more than happy to see Ince go. He's undoubtedly got a lot of talent but he's just not the kind of 'team player' Rowett's system requires. For example, if he PERSONALLY loses the ball he tracks back like mad, determined to try and win it back but if someone else gives away the ball he often doesn't bother. In other words it's all about him! His decision making with the ball is similarly self-centred. He freqeuuently shoots from absurd positions when he has little or no chance of scoring with team-mates in far better positions. To compound this, he also sometimes decides to try and pass for no apparent reason when he actually IS in a good shooting position. Weimman, Russell and Anya are all hard-working team players who will fit with Rowett's team ethic much more than Ince ever will. Hopefully we can use the money we get for him to strengthen further in the wide positions. Sell sell sell...

Are we talking about the same Tom Ince? Mardy looking fella who got 6 assists and banged in 14 goals in the Championship last season? 

If so, and for the sake of clarity, Russell, Weimann and Anya made fewer assists and scored 35% fewer goals combined than Ince alone. I'm not saying they offer no value, far from it, I'm just illustrating the value Ince clearly does bring.

The whole 'Ince has made our team poorer' doesn't wash with me at all. The reason we were poorer the loan season with Ince, was due to injuries to key players in holding midfield, and up front (losing Martin and Bent). To place that on Ince seemingly 'destroying the balance' is just nonsense. 

Surely Ince is providing us with MORE balance, as to have another winger in the mould of Russell which it seems like some supporters want mean we'll have more players who will run, and less players who will actually manipulate the ball. 

Another point is, perhaps Wisdom was bought with the view to play him with Ince? We all know Ince had better performances with Baird, as a fullback who gave him more space to breathe, and perhaps that is part of the rationale. 

I'd like to see the people who think Ince should go name a better player we could sign for his position. Since, isn't that what we're supposed to be doing, IMPROVING our squad, not holding a fire sale for our best players, which without a doubt Ince fits into the category. 

Sure we could use the sale of Ince to buy players in other positions, but isn't that the purpose of the Hughes sale? Surely, we're taking a big risk if we get rid of the majority of our quality players in one window, with a big possibility of not adequately replacing them. Besides the fact that Ince isn't actually replaceable at this level.

I wouldn't begrudge Ince a move if a good, mid table Premier League side comes in and fancies a punt on him, however, Huddersfield, really? They're almost dead certs to come straight back down. 

A final point is, does ANYONE have faith in our recruitment that even if we got a big sum for Ince, that we'd even invest it properly? I feel as if they have let us down so many times, that I don't trust them. I'd prefer to hold the quality we have.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

The whole 'Ince has made our team poorer' doesn't wash with me at all. The reason we were poorer the loan season with Ince, was due to injuries to key players in holding midfield, and up front (losing Martin and Bent). To place that on Ince seemingly 'destroying the balance' is just nonsense. 

Surely Ince is providing us with MORE balance, as to have another winger in the mould of Russell which it seems like some supporters want mean we'll have more players who will run, and less players who will actually manipulate the ball. 

Another point is, perhaps Wisdom was bought with the view to play him with Ince? We all know Ince had better performances with Baird, as a fullback who gave him more space to breathe, and perhaps that is part of the rationale. 

I'd like to see the people who think Ince should go name a better player we could sign for his position. Since, isn't that what we're supposed to be doing, IMPROVING our squad, not holding a fire sale for our best players, which without a doubt Ince fits into the category. 

Sure we could use the sale of Ince to buy players in other positions, but isn't that the purpose of the Hughes sale? Surely, we're taking a big risk if we get rid of the majority of our quality players in one window, with a big possibility of not adequately replacing them. Besides the fact that Ince isn't actually replaceable at this level.

I wouldn't begrudge Ince a move if a good, mid table Premier League side comes in and fancies a punt on him, however, Huddersfield, really? They're almost dead certs to come straight back down. 

A final point is, does ANYONE have faith in our recruitment that even if we got a big sum for Ince, that we'd even invest it properly? I feel as if they have let us down so many times, that I don't trust them. I'd prefer to hold the quality we have.

Nah, we are a better team without the uncreative, goal shy, lack of assists Ince any day of the week....it's obvious we need to sell him and keep the likes of Anya, Vydra and Russell....makes perfect sense.....

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Wisdom hardly goes forward so it provides much more balance than when it's Cyrus.

Doesn't make sense to have an attacking full back paired with a winger who doesn't track back.

12 hours ago, AmberRamber said:

George Thorne is without doubt the best player in this league.

A proper midfielder who can get hold of a game and make good things happen.

If he does find the form he showed when on loan then very quickly people won't be as distraught over losing Will Hughes.

Disagree best player in the league..... a blooming good player agree..... 

Cant be a good player if you dont play!

Ince is the best player at the club and if he goes i will be seriously looking at a refund for my season ticket.

We have just got rid of our most intelligent footballer, if we get rid of the most talented why even bother

Tin hat at the ready.....

Having been present for the majority of Ince's home games, i feel i can comment on his form and effect to the team. 

Although he has scored some cracking goals and provided assists along the way....there's just something about Ince that just doesn't excite me. He is no Ted McMinn.

He works hard for the team when he loses thr ball but for me he could do so much more. The opposition expect a lot from Ince but i just dont feel he dominates games as he should.

Like the majority of this team, they would all be playing at a higher level if they were all consistant. At Ince's age he has peaked for me and even if he does go i dont think he will cut it in the prem.

Dont get me wrong i will be glad if he stays as most have said in this current market it will be hard to replace him.

But....... There has to be the players out there that Rowett has identified that will fit the teams structure better than Ince. A young hard working lad who wants to get better.

Lets all be honest Ince will not perform well in a team with Wisdom at right back....we have seen it before.

For me Ince's best position is the number 10 roll. I used to drive the chap who sits next to me mad calling for him to play there. Then he was dropped into that roll for 3 games and fluffed his lines.

You can argue all day long about the players around him but i just think if there is a decent offer over 12 mil then that money can be used to rebuild.

I expected that both Hughes and Ince would be gone before the start of the season. Im not overly dissapointed by this....something needs to change. Theres also no chance in the world that our fringe players will command any type of fee over 5mil so even if we lost 5 i doubt it will be enough to rebuild, although im sure we would save a huge amount of wages.

Just saying ?

10 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

Having been present for the majority of Ince's home games, i feel i can comment on his form and effect to the team. 

Although he has scored some cracking goals and provided assists along the way....there's just something about Ince that just doesn't excite me. He is no Ted McMinn.

He works hard for the team when he loses thr ball but for me he could do so much more. The opposition expect a lot from Ince but i just dont feel he dominates games as he should.

Like the majority of this team, they would all be playing at a higher level if they were all consistant. At Ince's age he has peaked for me and even if he does go i dont think he will cut it in the prem.

Dont get me wrong i will be glad if he stays as most have said in this current market it will be hard to replace him.

But....... There has to be the players out there that Rowett has identified that will fit the teams structure better than Ince. A young hard working lad who wants to get better.

Lets all be honest Ince will not perform well in a team with Wisdom at right back....we have seen it before.

For me Ince's best position is the number 10 roll. I used to drive the chap who sits next to me mad calling for him to play there. Then he was dropped into that roll for 3 games and fluffed his lines.

You can argue all day long about the players around him but i just think if there is a decent offer over 12 mil then that money can be used to rebuild.

I expected that both Hughes and Ince would be gone before the start of the season. Im not overly dissapointed by this....something needs to change. Theres also no chance in the world that our fringe players will command any type of fee over 5mil so even if we lost 5 i doubt it will be enough to rebuild, although im sure we would save a huge amount of wages.

Just saying ?

Peaked at his age??? He's 25 lol...over 30 goals in a 100 appearances from the wing not good enough??? Top number of assists?? Just saying.......

4 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

I have no idea where you've got that idea from?

The best we've seen Ince play for Derby recently has been with Chris Baird playing RB very defensively, giving Ince the space he needs to draw in defenders and do his own thing. He only really started having a great season this year when Christie went out injured.

Some wingers like Russell really benefit from having an overlapping full-back but with Ince they just seem to take up his space and limit what he can do. Him and Christie could play well together but having Baird really brought the best out of Ince while also making us more solid at the back. Having that holding RB meant we could afford to overload down the left more often.

Having a RB like Baird/Wisdom holding back also means that Ince can lurk further up the field and try to catch a counter-attack, which we're more likely to be doing this year with Rowett preferring to soak up pressure and hit on the counter. Giving Ince one on one's each game is a sure-fire way to get goals.

You mention him being better in the middle, I'd argue he's better on the right and having the CAM overlap him so he can can take up their space in the middle. If he starts off playing in the middle he's already where he wants to be so it's easier to mark him. When he cuts in and the CAM overlaps/ST moves, we're moving their players all over the place as they try to make us, creates the chaos for Ince to capitalise on.

25 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

Just saying ?

I think the hat you need is a tin-foil hat - You know - To keep the alien signals out of your brain

;)

Archived