Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

Fair play to Ince if that's the case. Obviously more interested in opportunity to play at higher level than money (although bet he's on 40+k per week now). Can't deny him his premier league dream so right move to sell. I don't think we'll miss him. We relied on him last season and while he was top scorer and our best player. I think he was also part of the reason we scored less goals as a team. Think we'll share the goals around with Martin and Vydra having good seasons, Nuge will chip in with a few and I also think with Martin back Russell will score more. Still think we should sign a wide player, two if we don't ship anyone else out.

Im just staggered that a 15/16 signing has actually been sold at a profit!!!! Makes up for some of the losses we will incur when some of his fellow 15/16 transfers eventually move on.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good player, great attitude. 

In the Championship, he is/was a talisman. He's technically a fantastic footballer, he's got a great engine and he'll run all day. He's available for selection every week. He's been as consistent as any player at this level, aside from maybe Rhodes, since he was 19. He's never really had a bad year in the Championship, which I think you have to appreciate. 

I still think the step up will be difficult for him, not because he's not good enough technically, but because he still lacks that strength & pace. The best comparison I can make is Antonio. Antonio, doesn't hold a candle to Ince when it comes to technical ability, but he showed how easy the step up is with enough physical strength. He's still knocking Premier League defenders around as he did when he was pottering around in League One. Ince uses his brain and feet, unfortunately, the step up in class tends to be a lot better and it becomes a lot harder. He won't be able to toy with Premier League defenders like he did with Lichaj & Mancienne. 

I wish him all the best. He has the ability and attitude to make it, but physically I think he'll be left wanting. 

Not fussed. One trick only but.....

The 25 year-old attacker moves for a fee that will remain undisclosed at the request of Derby...

Why?

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not fussed. One trick only but.....

Why?

Because we are ashamed to let our best players go for less than they are worth. But not ashamed enough to stop it happening. 

Interesting comments from Tom in his Huddersfield interview about him being best placed in a team playing expansive attacking football in a 433 and how he's looking forward to playing under Wagner's management. 

Some underlying dis-satisfaction with Rowett's approach in there? 

I hope for his sake that he's right as I didn't see much expansive football at our place last season!

There's more in the Derby Telegraph if you want to risk the terrible pop ups. Just taken me about 20 minutes to get rid of one!

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Because we are ashamed to let our best players go for less than they are worth. But not ashamed enough to stop it happening. 

Get a grip.

Most transfer fees are undisclosed as the selling club doesn't want other clubs to know how much they might potentially have to spend on their own targets, and the buying club doesn't want other clubs to know how much they are spending when it comes to negotiating future deals.

Enjoy your football-free weekends pal, we're going to really miss your unique brand of positivity down Pride Park this season :thumbsup:

I'd imagine we will move quickly to bring in a replacement for Ince (in particular as he was a goalscorer, unlike Will), to placate the fans..

Obviously the team are away at the momnent but I'm surprised there are not more strong links and rumours so far as to who that replacement will be

30 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Most transfer fees are undisclosed as the selling club doesn't want other clubs to know how much they might potentially have to spend on their own targets, and the buying club doesn't want other clubs to know how much they are spending when it comes to negotiating future deals

If I was a betting man my money would be on this, although it doesn't help to create a conspiracy theory which is why some won't entertain this for a second.

Clubs know Derby have no problem spending money, they will also know we have just sold 2 top players and have the money to replace. Advantage selling club.

25 minutes ago, David said:

If I was a betting man my money would be on this, although it doesn't help to create a conspiracy theory which is why some won't entertain this for a second.

Clubs know Derby have no problem spending money, they will also know we have just sold 2 top players and have the money to replace. Advantage selling club.

cash always talks 

28 minutes ago, David said:

All true David, but we may well tell other clubs that we just can't pay X due to FFP and we are not going to be stupid anymore which may well mean we are unsuccessful at some recruitment attempts 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

All true David, but we may well tell other clubs that we just can't pay X due to FFP and we are not going to be stupid anymore which may well mean we are unsuccessful at some recruitment attempts 

Problem is they have come out and repeatedly told fans that FFP isn't a concern.

It's possible that fans have a bigger say in transfers than we might think, with rumours being linked on social media, forums, players able to see how welcome they would be at clubs, take Wisdom's brother and agent for example, to see you wanted that much must make the decision easy.

Went through Alan Nixon's verified followers the other day, Sheffield Wednesday's official club account follows him. 

28 minutes ago, David said:

Problem is they have come out and repeatedly told fans that FFP isn't a concern.

It's possible that fans have a bigger say in transfers than we might think, with rumours being linked on social media, forums, players able to see how welcome they would be at clubs, take Wisdom's brother and agent for example, to see you wanted that much must make the decision easy.

Went through Alan Nixon's verified followers the other day, Sheffield Wednesday's official club account follows him. 

I don't think we will breech FFP so it is not concern but we have to be mindful not to be in a position for it to be a concern, which is the similar in practice with a different result

39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I don't think we will breech FFP so it is not concern but we have to be mindful not to be in a position for it to be a concern, which is the similar in practice with a different result

Same with every club though, all depends where you're shopping at I guess, some smaller clubs which have smaller marketing pull and attendances will hold out for top whack so they can continue to compete.

To be honest though I find it hard to believe agents and players talking fees would be fairly well known in the inner circles of the football world. 

Undisclosed just makes it take a few calls more to find out. 

On the topic of undisclosed fees, it won't make any difference to our negotiations with other clubs. People inside the game will know how much a player has gone for given the amount of agents and other parties are involved in any substantial deal.

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, David said:

So why is disclosing the fee a problem to derby but not to premier league Huddersfield? If theyve just splashed a club record fee on ince wouldn't they want to keep it quiet ? 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

So why is disclosing the fee a problem to derby but not to premier league Huddersfield? If theyve just splashed a club record fee on ince wouldn't they want to keep it quiet ? 

Having just been promoted you can't hide the fact you're loaded and have money to spend 

2 hours ago, Derbyram1983 said:

I'm looking forward to watching Watford and Huddersfield next season. I hope both Hughes and ince play well. We've sold them now so let's get behind the manager and the players we have. I think we now have a very solid defence. 

Agreed, both have played well for us but needed new challenges. I don't begrudge them anything we made a nice profit on them both.

I too will watch them both with great interest, just as most of us did with Jeff Hendrick last season. 

Archived