Norwich City vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

We always seem to lack a bit of composure without Hughes in the side. We miss his intelligence and reading of the game.

That said, he was poor against Wigan on Saturday. Nearly put a Wigan player clean through. Was surprised to see Butterfield get the hook, not Hughes. Might do him good to sit out a couple, and while I'd have liked to see him against Premier League opposition, it's better he misses a cup game than a league game.

Got to feel for Vydra, bought by a manager, for a system that are no longer here, and with that price tag, it's a lot of pressure to bear - if he'd come through the door for £2m, people wouldn't be so bothered.

Am I alone in thinking he might be useful in JR's position? Another striker-turned-winger?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Maybe JR and others are doing as asked by Mac hence getting selected? Get behind them. Negativity on here considering the run we are on is astounding. I'm off for one more drink and I'll report back on the game this evening. 

COYR

Not trying to sound negative, but it's difficult not to to fear for us based on that lineup. Maybe certain players are doing stuff well in training and I don't know about that of course, but from what I've seen players like weimann have a right to be extremely annoyed- competition within the squad means you should get your chance when others aren't performing, that doesn't seem to be happening in certain positions now.

Look forward to reading your report later tho, hopefully a win today, we really need to take any chance we can to get ourselves back in the top six, everything then is in our hands

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Not trying to sound negative, but it's difficult not to to fear for us based on that lineup. Maybe certain players are doing stuff well in training and I don't know about that of course, but from what I've seen players like weimann have a right to be extremely annoyed- competition within the squad means you should get your chance when others aren't performing, that doesn't seem to be happening in certain positions now.

Look forward to reading your report later tho, hopefully a win today, we really need to take any chance we can to get ourselves back in the top six, everything then is in our hands

Weimann got a start against Fulham and obviously didn't do enough to be selected for the next game. If you're on the fringes you have to make sure you're doing well when given chances.

7 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Give over. Useless on Saturday. And better performers on the 27th too. 

Carson and Keogh were probably our 2 best performers but it still can be argued that Hughes, while putting in a sub-standard performance by his own standards, was one of the only ones trying to take creative risks, make space and generally trying to go for the win...

9 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Maybe JR and others are doing as asked by Mac hence getting selected? Get behind them. Negativity on here considering the run we are on is astounding. I'm off for one more drink and I'll report back on the game this evening. 

COYR

Or he has limited options as Anya has to play LB, Camara has just got back from injury and has never done anything and Weimann isn't really a wide player and has shown McClaren  to be no better. This is why we are being linked with Sako. If Lowe and Olsson were fit tight now, Lowe would probably play in Russell's place. 

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

We always seem to lack a bit of composure without Hughes in the side. We miss his intelligence and reading of the game.

That said, he was poor against Wigan on Saturday. Nearly put a Wigan player clean through. Was surprised to see Butterfield get the hook, not Hughes.

Got to feel for Vydra, bought by a manager, for a system that are no longer here, and with that price tag, it's a lot of pressure to bear - if he'd come through the door for £2m, people wouldn't be so bothered.

Am I alone in thinking he might be useful in JR's position? Another striker-turned winger?

People just need to be patient with vydra IMO, sometimes it takes players a while to settle into a system. He's only 6 months into a 4 year contract so let's not judge his time here too harshly yet, I'm sure he'll turn it around. Lots of people were complaining a lot about last seasons business but now after a bit of time players like Johnson and Baird have come good, we just have to be patient 

20 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

I agree but Weiman has had plenty of starts and not kept his place. Camara a few but looked rubbish. Vydra a fair few starts and not done a lot. Blackman has had his fair share too

Agreed 83

None of them has set the game alight when coming on. Not sure when Vydra, Blackman, Vydra, Camara last had a start but in fairness, none of them are hammering on the door demanding a start.

Personally I would like them to be given two or three starts to stake their claim. And Im not sure when we will have a better opportunity than today.

If they don't show enough after that then maybe the game is up for them. I would rather the academy lads then had a chance and we cut our losses and get rid.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Weimann got a start against Fulham and obviously didn't do enough to be selected for the next game. If you're on the fringes you have to make sure you're doing well when given chances.

Yeah I don't dispute that, but he wasn't that bad against Fulham- I was there, he wasn't brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but there was little he could do when we had so little of the ball, Russell failed to have any sort of impact despite having the majority of the ball on Saturday. Also I believe that vydra works well with weimann, in the limited time they've had together they look to be on a similar wavelength, it creates quick interplay between them and improves both their games

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

People just need to be patient with vydra IMO, sometimes it takes players a while to settle into a system. He's only 6 months into a 4 year contract so let's not judge his time here too harshly yet, I'm sure he'll turn it around. Lots of people were complaining a lot about last seasons business but now after a bit of time players like Johnson and Baird have come good, we just have to be patient 

True. But Vernam is ready and waiting in the wings. 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Plucking up the courage to listen to this on RD!

Particularly looking forward to reading the "It sounds like we're..." comments.  

Ah but someone else's opinion then becomes fact.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I tend to agree, there's clearly a very good player in there somewhere but he's arguably not been in form since his last spell in the Championship with Watford. Strikers, with the expectancy to score, often have the hardest time settling into a team; Vydra at this stage just needs a goal, no matter how it comes. Once he scores again, I have a feeling we may start to see the best out of our record signing.

He makes very intelligent runs but we've seen in recent games with Bent, no-one is picking him out, hence why Bent has also (through no fault of his own) been pretty anonymous in the past couple of games. Give Vydra decent service and he'll do well, we just need to play to his strengths, let him play off the shoulder of the last defender and play some intricate through balls to him. Thorne's the best at those, I'd love to see those 2 in the same team, Vydra's pace means playing more direct, which would never have worked with Martin, may become more of an option, only making us more versatile going forward.

7 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Plucking up the courage to listen to this on RD!

Particularly looking forward to reading the "It sounds like we're..." comments.  

Good luck with that

Hope commentator Ed makes it worthwhile  - rarely thinks before he speaks and most sentences he utters don't make sense. 

But at least you will know all about what is happening with Burton Albion, thank goodness. 

Archived